Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2007, 03:33 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just realized I can make my own, duh! How To Build a Balance Board

And I'll make one for DD as well as a Christmas present!!
Great idea and easy to make. Just be sure not to forget the end bumpers on the outside of the bottom of the board (or it will go flying) and some type of non-skid on top. Stock Indo is ~2' travel and ~6" diam tube.

Here is my old guy "one trick" session. Next trick to learn is spinning the board (with me on it) 180 deg in two 90 deg steps. Both DD's are getting into it as well. DW says she will stick to her "Firm" workouts

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just realized I can make my own, duh! How To Build a Balance Board

And I'll make one for DD as well as a Christmas present!!
Al, do you have an idea what kind of four to six inch diameter pipe are they using?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Here is my old guy "one trick" session. Next trick to learn is spinning the board (with me on it) 180 deg in two 90 deg steps. Both DD's are getting into it as well. DW says she will stick to her "Firm" workouts
Dave, great performance. I have one of these things and for sure it is a lot harder than it looks!

Ha
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Here is my old guy "one trick" session. Next trick to learn is spinning the board (with me on it) 180 deg in two 90 deg steps.
Boy, that one video is worth a thousand posts. I get it now.

Does the pipe rotate 180 degrees in two 90-degree steps, too, or is it supposed to stay where it is?

So will this guarantee that I'll be able to do a longboard helicopter off the lip next summer?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Al, do you have an idea what kind of four to six inch diameter pipe are they using?
Heavy wall PVC (not the thin wall stuff unless you brace the interior) drain pipe should work fine. Use a jig saw to cut wood plugs for both ends if you can't find interior (male) PVC plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Boy, that one video is worth a thousand posts. I get it now.

Does the pipe rotate 180 degrees in two 90-degree steps, too, or is it supposed to stay where it is?

So will this guarantee that I'll be able to do a longboard helicopter off the lip next summer?
Pipe is fixed, board rotates. So first 90 deg you go from leg-to-leg balance to heel-to-toe balance. Second 90 deg gets you back to leg-to-leg. Need to be sure your tube length is less than the distance between the end bumpers or you'll hang up at the half way point. I can make about 25% of my tries but not so pretty. I'd take a vid but on a college tour trip with DD at the moment.

It will help your long board helicopters about as much as it helps my "inverted handle passes". Good for regaining some of that reflex speed we all had when we were young, and fun to do when the weather-surf are not cooperating.

Warning: if unsure of your ability or fearlessness use a helmet, elbow-knee pads, start on a mat and have a grab handle. In big letters on a stock Indo board, "Use at your own risk"
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #46

[quote=Nords;581684]Does the pipe rotate 180 degrees in two 90-degree steps, too, or is it supposed to stay where it is?
quote]

OK here's a video (straight jump, 180 deg spin jump, 180 deg 2-step board spin) though the sound track seems to have gotten srewed up in the upload. Next week we'll try some one footers. Now back to those not-so-fun tasks of of day

Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Heavy wall PVC
Right. I had some 4" inner diameter pipe (see photo) and that works OK, but the official Indo board has a roller that is 6.5" in diameter. I found a hardware store that has 6" plastic sewer pipe, and I'm going to take a look at that when I go into town. My preliminary test with the smaller pipe showed that it worked OK, but it would be better (and maybe more difficult) with a larger diameter pipe. That is, with the smaller pipe, the ends of the board hit the floor even when the board was tilted just a little.

Cutting the pipe with a hacksaw didn't give enough control to give a nice right angle cut. I used a jigsaw and that worked OK. If you only have a hacksaw, make multiple starting cuts along the guiding tape.

I'm not sure there's any reason to close the ends of the pipe except for looks, or if you want to put sand inside to slow down the action.

TargaDave, you can ignore my private message, since I see you answered it here (re non-skid top). Are you sure a non-skid coating is necessary?

I just put the primer coat on the bottom of the two boards I'm making.

P0001490.JPG

Great videos, Dave. I noticed that the instructional video that comes with an Indo board is available on YouTube.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #48

Quote:
TargaDave, you can ignore my private message, since I see you answered it here (re non-skid top). Are you sure a non-skid coating is necessary?
Great videos, Dave. I noticed that the instructional video that comes with an Indo board is available on YouTube.
Al, quite the production line there. Non-skid probably not a must if you're not jumpin around or trying to spin the board. However, it should be pretty easy to just mix some fine sand in with the paint for the topside. Yep, instruction video is fun and helpful. Of course they make it all look soooo easy. Always something new to aspire to. Only other tip: carpet or mat will really slow things down (more pipe rolling resistance) for learning and help cushion any falls. Cheers
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, getting old ain't what its cracked up to be. I had cancer surgery in Jan. followed by radiation and chemo for several months. My last chemo was in Sept. and I am just now getting my pre cancer stamina back. I am able to walk a 15 min per mile pace for five miles. Not the greatest but not bad for a 61 yr. old cancer survivor. Of course I am 25 lbs. lighter than I was before my surgery.

I am also trying to do light upper body workouts to regain muscle tone. After multiple shoulder surgeries with scars, a long mid line incision on my stomach and a chemo port under my collar bone, taking my shirt off might scare some people.

2soon2tell
Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Yes, getting old ain't what its cracked up to be. I had cancer surgery in Jan. followed by radiation and chemo for several months. My last chemo was in Sept. and I am just now getting my pre cancer stamina back. I am able to walk a 15 min per mile pace for five miles. Not the greatest but not bad for a 61 yr. old cancer survivor. Of course I am 25 lbs. lighter than I was before my surgery.

I am also trying to do light upper body workouts to regain muscle tone. After multiple shoulder surgeries with scars, a long mid line incision on my stomach and a chemo port under my collar bone, taking my shirt off might scare some people.
2soon2tell
Congrats 2Soon on backing back in the game!

Ha
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Wow TD, just saw the videos. Makes my old windsurfing moves look like sh**. That looks like it would be good for improving my balance on a snowboard. I may build one too.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

For any of your planning to make your own here's what I learned:

The 6 inch pipe that I got wasn't rigid enough, and was a little out of round. If you get pipe like this, you need to reinforce it with round inserts. This is a tricky thing -- you need to determine the true inner diameter. My first go at this resulted in inserts that seemed to fit OK, but when I used the roller, the movement unlocked the glue, and the inserts failed. The key here is to make them snug, requiring major hammering to get them inserted (put them in edgewise, then rotate and hammer). If they are too big, they will create a bulge in the pipe (you can see that in the roller on the left, just below the tape).

A 4 inch pipe (inner diameter), is just about as good as the larger size (see the black pipe in the picture). It's just a little more fun with a larger pipe.

You can get by without the friction tape. The tape I got was pretty sticky on both sides. When I first tried it, It not only came off the roller, but pulled paint off the bottom of the board. You can make this better by wiping it with acetone after you apply it, and giving the paint a few more days to cure.

I used a beautiful blue latex paint from the reuse shed at the dump. If I were doing it over, I think I'd start with maple or oak-faced plywood, and just stain it.

I haven't yet put a non-skid surface on the top. The current surface has worked OK for bare feet or sneakers, but would be too slippery with socks.

It's more fun than it looks. I spent about 30 minutes on the board yesterday, and I can feel it in my leg and back muscles. I haven't crashed yet, but had one almost fall/almost pull muscle unintentional dismount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BalanceBoards.jpg (142.7 KB, 3 views)