Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Ambien works for me well without any side effects, but my doctor is stingy and doesn't allow me to take it for an extended period of time. I use melatonin to fill in the blanks, but it doesn't work as well and I'm a bit groggy during the day.
I've tried just about everything people have mentioned with little success other than Ambien. But I will dispute the post about lack of sleep never having killed anybody. It contributes to heart disease.

Enjoying life!
Lack of sleep is certainly not good for your long term health. I don't believe you will ever find "lack of sleep" as the cause of death on a death certificate.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #42
True, but you won't find the words "ate too much" on one either.I would suggest chronic long term insomnia is more then "not good for your long term health". It can be very unpleasant for your long term mental health as well.

ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Lloydwtaylor View Post
Trust me when I tell you I wanted to retire, I wanted to move on and do something new. Has anybody experienced anything like this when you first retired? ... I really think it's all in my head but can't beat it.
I experienced a variety of symptoms when I transitioned from planning retirement to start taking concrete, burning my bridges type actions: panic attacks (first time in my life), appetite vanished, major insomnia. They stopped as soon as I stopped the actions. Returned when I started again. The cycle repeated.

Like you, I wanted to retire, wanted to move on, etc. It was voluntary. It was also obvious after a few cycles of symptoms that they were entirely psychological in nature. I started thinking of my retirement as a 'Big Vacation', one I could return from. I was able to resume taking the necessary steps without further panic attacks, insomnia, etc.

Insomnia can be caused by natural changes due to aging. It responds to learning new sleep habits. Insomnia is also a symptom of psychological conditions. You just had a Major Life Event. One that can't help but remind us that no one gets out of here alive.

The one common thread through insomnia threads on this forum is reports on how people have successfully treated their 'problem'. Few consider insomnia as a symptom. If none of the non-drug solutions work, one can either use drugs to control the symptom, or address the real cause. Taking drugs is easier.
ER Oct 2008 at age 54. An expat mostly settled in Thailand.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
I really try not to stress about how much/little sleep I get, as that increases my anxiety about sleep! I figure my body has a natural sleep cycle, sometimes I am awake at 4 am, sometimes 6 or 7. I try to go to bed at close to the same time each night and have a specific bedtime routine. If I really need help sleeping/relaxing, I take Valerian Root capsules. Stuff stinks to high heaven, but works well.
On the days when I wake up around 4, I do have a harder time at work, but I tend to sleep better the next night! I do not nap at all, as that definitely interferes with my nighttime sleep.
Stepping stones or stumbling blocks? It all depends on how you use them.
pacergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #45
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Taking drugs is easier.
It is until the drugs don't work anymore. I spent three months trying to learn how to sleep without Ambien, Zanax and the rest of their family. YMMV
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and knowing I'm not alone. I'm on a pretty good run of sleeping only with a Melatonin and nothing else. If it gets crazy again I have Zquill which works great but is not something I want to depend on. Today was the first day of school so that psychological barrier has now passed and I had a great day today NOT being at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Lloydwtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #47
Great news. Little thing can really help a lot. It seemed I was having a pretty spotty sleeping record this summer. Up here in the Northland it's light pretty late into the evening.

Since I didn't feel tired right away I would go to bed and watch some Netflix but still woke during that night and it gets light very early. Went to a huge library sale and bought some 50 cent books. I started reading at nite and it made a huge difference in sleep quality.I'll now log between 6.5 to 8 hours without waking. Two night in a row we had huge 3-4 AM thunderstorms and I slept straight thru it. MY 5 mg dose of time release melatonin is doing it's job.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
Not for nothing but I had chronic insomnia for my first 55 years - my mind was always overactive, pursuing tangents when I was trying to sleep.

During a family illness five years ago my doctor prescribed me a small regimen of Xanax (alprazolam) to chill me out. I said I had insomnia too and he said it works for that too.

Boy did it. There's something about alprazolam at night that fixes my brain chemistry, so I can close my eyes and fall asleep like a normal person. No drowsiness the next day like sleeping pills. It shut off my insomnia like a switch after 55 years. My doctor let me keep the prescription for the insomnia.
bob boag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #49

Be careful with Xanax, it is highly addictive and a horrible drug to withdraw from.

I have a script for it too, I wish I could use it every night but I don't want to get hooked on it. It works a incredibly well for anxiety too.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.
In case it was missed, this article could be of interest in this space.
An interesting embellishment on the read to sleep theme. And a link to free read by amateurs audio books site LibriVox -
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #51
I slept over 10 hours last night and could have slept another two, had my alarm not awakened me.

What's my secret? Getting kicked to the curb by an intense case of stomach flu. By the time I recovered, I was exhausted. I don't recommend this cure for insomnia, though.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I could probably count on the fingers of two hands the nights I've had trouble sleeping in my life.

DW hates me.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets
no drugs for me. too many habits formed, too many side effects. Try smoking a bowl. works very well.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I could probably count on the fingers of two hands the nights I've had trouble sleeping in my life.

DW hates me.
I'm the same way. I've had an average of 9 hours of sleep every night since college.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #55
I too have had insomnia since childhood. In my case it comes in streaks, where I might go a week or two with major sleep issues. Then it'll go away until next cycle.
I use Ambien sparingly, but it works wonders for me with no dependence. I emphatically disagree with the suggestion of going to bed every night at the same time. I never go to bed at a set time, even if I have to get up early the next morning. I wait until I am sleepy-tired before I go up to my bedroom. I think the set-time routine can exacerbate insomnia.
Another thing that works surprisingly well: having a written To-Do list. Knowing I have that list minimizes my chances of thinking about what I need to do the next day, whilst I'm lying in bed trying to get to sleep.
Finally, that podcast cited in the NY Times article would likely work wonders as well.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #56
I am retired...there's always a delicious nap....
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets
I have occasional insomnia. When I feel like I need to take something, I try doxylamine succinate (OTC in the US), or Zaleplon (prescription), or passionflower tea, or on very, very rare occasion xanax. I tried melatonin, at 3mg, but I did not feel well the next morning. Most of the time, I don't take anything, but good to have some options, when I need it. (Of course, none of this is medical advice; I am not qualified to give any such advice).
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

I have struggled with insomnia for years and a few months ago a friend suggested an essential oil.....Serenity by DoTerra. It may sound strange but I truly feel it works for me. My husband uses it too and also feels it is beneficial. I also have a sleep machine....white noise. I have been sleeping well for months now! Definitely worth a try.......

Good Luck!

suesam is offline   Reply With Quote