Join Early Retirement Today

Help me with HSA account
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help me with HSA account

Since Nov 1, the employer changed health insurance from EPO-type to HSA-type with deductible of $4000. Reading around the web gave me a clue that I can 'open HSA account and contribute to it'. This money can be used towards my prescription drugs. Medco is charging me more than what Walmart will for 3 refills of 30-day supply so I would like to minimize these costs.

Can anyone explain me, in a bit didactic fashion, considering I am total noob (because I really am), on
- how and where do I 'open' this account?
- If the contributions to this account have to be made by me and my employer? (I have a family plan, employer pays for me and I pay for the family)
- If these contributions have to be same every month?

Thanks a ton in advance.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was working the HSA was set up through the employer with a contracted HSA provider. My former employer paid the account maintenance fees ($3/month). Contributions were made by the employer on my behalf from my earnings. During annual open enrollment, I could designate how much the contributions would be. I do not remember if I could change the contributions outside the open enrollment window. For the first few years, the employer would contribute $1,000 per year as an incentive for people to start using the HSA.

Since retiring from megacorp, I had to set up a different HSA account with the provider and pay the fees myself. I set up monthly contributions drafted from my checking account. I can make changes to the amount anytime I want and send in checks or direct deposits for one time contributions.

The provider issues a Visa card to pay medical expenses with.
They also send forms during tax season showing contributions to and distributions from the HSA account.
I suggest talking with your employer for how to open the account and set up contributions.

Hope this helps.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

some basics of HSAs HSA Rules | HSA - Health Savings Accounts Education

some HSA custodian considerations How to choose the best HSA Banks/credit unions often have these.

You can do lump sum contributions.....doesn't have to be the same monthly.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just make a lump sum deposit each year. If I had to do it all over again, I would have used a local bank as I have seem some pay 2% on funds, instead of sub 1% I am presently getting with a national one. Of course I am not planning on investing it in mutual funds, so that is why the higher interest rate appealed to me more.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
some basics of HSAs HSA Rules | HSA - Health Savings Accounts Education

some HSA custodian considerations How to choose the best HSA Banks/credit unions often have these.

You can do lump sum contributions.....doesn't have to be the same monthly.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Since Nov 1, the employer changed health insurance from EPO-type to HSA-type with deductible of $4000. Reading around the web gave me a clue that I can 'open HSA account and contribute to it'. This money can be used towards my prescription drugs. Medco is charging me more than what Walmart will for 3 refills of 30-day supply so I would like to minimize these costs.

Can anyone explain me, in a bit didactic fashion, considering I am total noob (because I really am), on
- how and where do I 'open' this account?
- If the contributions to this account have to be made by me and my employer? (I have a family plan, employer pays for me and I pay for the family)
- If these contributions have to be same every month?

Thanks a ton in advance.
Here's a FAQ with more helpful links http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...hsa-30762.html

An HSA account is opened like any other bank account. Anyone can deposit funds, in any amount at any time, as long as the total yearly contribution does not exceed the limits published by the US Treasury.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I retired I went with Patelco Credit Union. They charge $2 a month and basically just provide a statement of money in and money out for tax purposes. I keep all my eligible receipts, add them up in December, deposit that much, then withdraw it a short time later. I can take the amount deposited off my taxable income.

If you want to max out the HSA and accumulate a significant amount over time, then other providers have better investment options.

Do a search on this at Bogleheads for more ideas.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

HSA - Medical and Health Savings Account

There is a link in the middle, at the bottom of this webpage, that gives you a number of HSA account administrators and details and contact information. as well as the fees, and options for where to put money in the account ( if you hold cash in money market , it pays next to nothing. Some HSA allows you to put a portion into mutual funds.)
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Be sure you don't cheat yourself out of the tax benefits of the HSA contribution. If you/company contribute pre-tax, that's the benefit but if you contribute on your own post-tax , be sure you claim the "above the line" deduction on your1040.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote