Help on medicare

Sounds like a sales pitch. In your shoes, I would research this plan carefully and look at the stats about how many really people buy F in Minnesota. Looks like Senior Gold is a PPO based on the web page. Call a couple of other agents and get their perspective as well.

No it's not, although the number are pretty tightly guarded. The problem is the 100's of thousands of people that were on the cost plans. The Advantage plans are huge sellers here too. Senior Gold is the juggernaut in this state.

By process of elimination the F plan is low enrollment. Having said that I might have gone for it except for the fact it's closing to new sales...

Your broker was referring to High Deductible F (HD-F). The HD-F premium in MN is high compared to other states and is not a good value. Regular F is not allowed to be sold in MN.

Blue Cross Senior Gold is a MN-specific Medigap "Basic" plan. You may want to see how the UHC/AARP "Basic" plan premium compares to the Senior Gold "Basic" premium. Most choose to add the rider to cover the Part A deductible when choosing the Basic plan.

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com/health-plans/medicare-supplement-plans.html

You got it and MN really is "good" at "protecting" us having too many choices. High ded F was a plan I would have considered if it wasn't closing to new enrollees. In fact I feel all Medi-gap plans in this state are pretty high costs compared to national numbers...

I would like to take F too, but every agent I have spoken to recommends G instead. Same but you pay the small Medicare Deductible ($185). They say that in 2020 when it goes away, existing grandfathered (Grandmothered) policy holders will see their premiums rise as the pool diminishes, and they may/will be liable to underwriting in order to change over. They also say virtually everyone they signup is taking G.

DH enrolled in F when he was first eligible this summer, then switched to G during the 6 month grace period you initially get. Our agent suggested this, and I've also seen this recommended a lot on here, and I do everything I'm told on this board. :LOL:

We both have Plan G and it is as simple as Plan F. We wait for our PLAN G provider to send the EOB and shortly after that the provider sends us their bill if the deductible hasn't been met for the year. Once we hit the deductible all we ever see if the Plan G EOB. IF we are healthy and only have an annual checkup we pocket the savings. If we hit the deductible it still costs us less than having Plan F.

I just talked to an agent. Very helpful. Since I’ve been on Medicare for five years there are some other issues. For one thing if I switch from F to G there’s underwriting involved, and I might not pass. For another, my current plan does community based pricing. Most do attained age pricing. Community-based pricing would probably work out better in the long run for me, and I come from a long lived family. The one I have right now is United healthcare through AARP. So right at the moment I’m not going to change. There’s nuisance involved. I turned 70 in June, and my cost might go up on the attained age policies. G does sound a bit cheaper but to some extent I’m comparing apples and oranges. I’m comparing a community based pricing, which is a little higher right now, to an attained age policy, which is a little lower now but probably would not be that way forever.

I’m going to call AARP and see if there’s underwriting to switch me to their G plan.

I’m going to call AARP and see if there’s underwriting to switch me to their G plan.

As I understand it, and who really understands any of this, is that if you originally got your plan through AARP, there should be no underwriting to switch, but it is subject to change. AARP told me it was one of their requirements for sponsorship.

Sorry to about your moms' issues. However, unless her MA provider ceases its coverage in your area your mother can only go on regular medicare if she is accepted after medical underwriting. Given her medical issues that may prove hard to do.

However, during open enrollment she can choose a different MA provider effective 1-1-19 that may provide better coverage at a higher monthly cost.
She can also go on regular Medicare. Part A and Part B are not underwritten. However, if she wants a Medigap supplement these will often require underwriting.

Ha

As I understand it, and who really understands any of this, is that if you originally got your plan through AARP, there should be no underwriting to switch, but it is subject to change. AARP told me it was one of their requirements for sponsorship.

I just switched to plan G on AARP UnitedHealthcare. There is underwriting to switch. But I didn’t have anything they asked about. The underwriting is only for plan G.

So - something for everyone to think about... you can’t necessarily switch back and forth. “Open Enrollment” is a misnomer. You can develop conditions that will disqualify you or cause your premiums to be rated.

And as I said in an earlier post, I like the way they structure the premiums. So I’m being processed. I’m so glad we had all this discussion. I didn’t know about plan G.

I recently switched from a Blue Plan F to a G at Cigna. The rep at the Blue implied there might be underwriting if I changed to their G. After talking to the Cigna rep, learned that by WA rules there is NO underwriting as long you are switching to an equal or less plan.
We saved over $50/mon each by moving and shifting to G which is considered as equal to F. Not sure if Blue rep was trying to hold onto the higher F premium or misinformed.
If you are getting the underwriting risk thrown at you, be sure to check with a broker, competition, and/or state insurance commissioner.

I recently switched from a Blue Plan F to a G at Cigna. The rep at the Blue implied there might be underwriting if I changed to their G. After talking to the Cigna rep, learned that by WA rules there is NO underwriting as long you are switching to an equal or less plan.
We saved over $50/mon each by moving and shifting to G which is considered as equal to F. Not sure if Blue rep was trying to hold onto the higher F premium or misinformed.
If you are getting the underwriting risk thrown at you, be sure to check with a broker, competition, and/or state insurance commissioner.

G is identical in benefits to plan F. The only difference is you pay the one time per year deductible. Plan F charges more but covers the deductible.

G is identical in benefits to plan F. The only difference is you pay the one time per year deductible. Plan F charges more but covers the deductible.

And that is why saving over $100/mon is so great!

Back
Top Bottom