Help searching for an HSA custodian with stock broker option...

Nickster64

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello forum members,

I have been constantly searching for the past week to find the perfect HSA custodian with a stock broker option. I thought I had found a perfect custodian + broker match through HSA Resources--Falcon National Bank--BrokersXpress (an OptionsXpress subsidiary). Here is what I liked about them:

HSA Resources uses Falcon National Bank as the custodian. Everything was a breeze to set up, quick and friendly service, plus low annual custodian fees: Flat rate of $25/year for HSA Express, a flat BrokersXpress rate of $15/year + $14.95 per trade, plus minor misc expenses such as checks, etc.

Yesterday I found out that Falcon National Bank requires a minimum balance of $1000 at all times and charges a $10/month fee for HSA account balances less than $1000. This means that my initial 2009 brokerage deposit with BrokersXpress would only be $2000 maximum instead of the $3000 I had planned for. Great... there goes my plan to buy 1 share of Berkshire B stock!

Does anyone know of an HSA custodian with a stock broker option which offers low fees and does not require a minimum balance within the HSA account at all times? My search has run dry. If I cannot find that perfect HSA custodian combination then I will still gladly choose HSA Resources--Falcon National Bank--BrokersXpress, however having immediate brokerage control of my full 2009 $3,000 contribution is what I want.

Thanks!

Nick

Nickster64 - hope you're still logging in to check for answers. If the mods don't mind my recommending another forum, I suggest you go to the Finance forum at www.fatwallet.com and search for the thread titled HSA FAQ. People there have been posting about HSAs with brokerage options. (I just keep my money at Patelco's 5.12% HSA and don't worry about the market.)

Back
Top Bottom