Join Early Retirement Today

Hemorrhagic Stroke
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hemorrhagic Stroke

DW had one last Friday, and I thought I would pass along some of the things we have learned.

First, she is doing extremely well! We truly dodged the proverbial bullet. We had gone out to dinner, and the stroke happened just before we got up to leave. Maybe it was the bill. LOL When she stood up she felt woozy. She said she didn't think the shrimp was fully cooked and it was having an effect. She showed no signs going to the car. We stopped about 5 min as we walked to the door. and did not carry her purse as she normally did. I stopped and ask her a couple of questions, and during that time she lost her balance. I told her we were going to the hospital!

Since then I have talked to a couple of people who have had strokes. The common thread, 'they did not think they were having one'. One friend was lying on the ground and still did not realize it was a stroke! It was not until he was in ICU and the doctor said 'you realize you had a stoke' -- his reply NO!

When I told my wife she was scuffing her left foot. "I am not" she later said she new she was and has no idea why she denied it.

The ICU nurse said the majority of people go home to 'rest while the symptom goes away', and by the time they see a doctor it is often too late.

FAST (Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time) I found a better one:

In her case, Stability was the only clue. Lucky for us we reacted and she is already 95%
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

OMG so glad she is doing so well! Really helpful post!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad she is doing well.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Glad you reacted quickly and she is fine !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Rustic23, smart thinking and excellent response on your part. Hope your DWs recovery is quick and uneventful.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
DW had one last Friday, and I thought I would pass along some of the things we have learned.

First, she is doing extremely well! We truly dodged the proverbial bullet. We had gone out to dinner, and the stroke happened just before we got up to leave. Maybe it was the bill. LOL When she stood up she felt woozy. She said she didn't think the shrimp was fully cooked and it was having an effect. She showed no signs going to the car. We stopped about 5 min as we walked to the door. and did not carry her purse as she normally did. I stopped and ask her a couple of questions, and during that time she lost her balance. I told her we were going to the hospital!

Since then I have talked to a couple of people who have had strokes. The common thread, 'they did not think they were having one'. One friend was lying on the ground and still did not realize it was a stroke! It was not until he was in ICU and the doctor said 'you realize you had a stoke' -- his reply NO!

When I told my wife she was scuffing her left foot. "I am not" she later said she new she was and has no idea why she denied it.

The ICU nurse said the majority of people go home to 'rest while the symptom goes away', and by the time they see a doctor it is often too late.

FAST (Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time) I found a better one:

In her case, Stability was the only clue. Lucky for us we reacted and she is already 95%
Thanks for this possibly lifesaving post, and best wishes to DW! Speedy recovery!
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing! Very happy that the outcome was so good. Good on you for acting quickly!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Thanks for sharing! Very happy that the outcome was so good. Good on you for acting quickly!
+1

Well done! Great outcome due to your quick decision to seek medical help.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Such an excellent post. I'm glad it turned out well for you and your wife.

Having had experiences in stroke(s) with my father, hindsight offers proof that small indications didn't lead us to thinking that the tiny symptoms were leading him to a bigger event. Things such as tripping over nothing, intermittent speech oddities, dropping items, trouble with buttons/zippers... Definately not "normal" things to his activity level. In hindsight, I can start putting things together earlier but didn't at the time.

Good for you for taking a determined initiative for medical intervention right away. FYI, magic stroke meds have a very specific window of opportunity for dosing (within the first few hours of initial symptoms). Therefore, the sooner a patient gets to the hospital, the better.
sumdaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
gone traveling

Glad your DW is OK and thank you for the information. Did they just treat her by careful monitoring or was any other intervention necessary?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

I have learned there are two types of strokes, 80% of strokes are caused by clots, and I think that is where clot buster drugs are used. For the 20% bleeds, lowering blood pressure and waiting until the blood is absorbed, if it is, is about all they can do. The blood shows white on an MRI and blocks the location of the bleed. So it is wait four to six weeks then another MRI, and hopefully we will know more. From reading, treatment is compounded as those things that prevent clotting, aggravate bleeds.

Most of this information I have gathered from the web, with exception of DW's direct doctor input. One thing that does seem to be in all articles is monitor and track your blood pressure. Both stroke types are aggravated by high BP.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wow! But you didn't dodge the bullet by luck, you deflected it by not ignoring the signs and reacting correctly. Nice work, and very helpful post.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to forward this to my DW. Here's the link if anyone else wants it.

https://www.beaumont.org/health-well...fast-to-faster
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nice post. Glad you got to it in time!! Time is of the essence.

I've mentioned here a few times that my brother had a massive stroke 2 1/2 years ago. He was supposed to end up with a permanent feeding tube, need 24/7 bedside care and permanently bedridden with zero cognition.

The one phrase early on that I heard over and over is "we don't know".

He still can't talk (communicates just fine with gestures) but now walks with a cane, goes out every day, lives semi-independently at his own home. We just got back from dinner at a restaurant and he ate like a teenager. His limitations are those of an 83 year old man (who can't talk and walks with a cane). And, he's fully cognizant now; we're going for a competence test this summer.

Good luck to you and God Bless.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Wow! But you didn't dodge the bullet by luck, you deflected it by not ignoring the signs and reacting correctly. Nice work, and very helpful post.
+1000
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Very happy all turned out in a bad situation. Very good news and thanks for sharing this information.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #17

Echoing many others..........thanks for the public service announcement and reminder that there are times when it is not good to tough it out. Glad that it's working out so well for you!
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

DMIL just had 2 strokes recently. She is in rehab now, not sure how much she can recover.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your wife. Thanks for raising awareness.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWishes View Post
DMIL just had 2 strokes recently. She is in rehab now, not sure how much she can recover.
Rehab is critical to success. But remember that it can take 2, 3 or even 5 years to know how much recovery is possible. It took my brother 2 years to regain his awareness and cognition.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Since then I have talked to a couple of people who have had strokes. The common thread, 'they did not think they were having one'.
My mom had a stroke a couple years ago. She lived alone and spent five days crawling around on the floor too weak to stand up or reach the phone on the wall. She was finally able to call 911 but didn't realize she had a stroke until they took her to the hospital.

We didn't see her till she was already in rehab. She couldn't talk and the whole right side of her body was limp and lifeless. After a few months in rehab and several months of therapy she mostly talks normal now, can walk again, and has good use of both hands. She still has some minor speech and motor skill issues, but she made a remarkable recovery. It could have been much worse.

It's fantastic that you were able to recognize your wife's symptoms and get her to the hospital immediately!
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote