Join Early Retirement Today

Hernia Surgery
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hernia Surgery

Hey all,

Not posting much these days but still checking in from time to time. Got a question for you. My DH is going in for hernia surgery next week. It’s an inguinal hernia. Because of the size and placement, laparoscopy is not possible. Rather, he’ll be having the traditional open surgery.

We’re confident in our doctor and his recommendations after having researched this extensively. Just wondering if any of you have been through this and if you can let us know about how long it took to recover and any suggestions for post op care.

DH is 58 and otherwise fit and strong. He hates this and wants to get back to his usual level of high activity ASAP. Naturally, I want to be cautious and make sure he recovers completely with no complications.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I had this surgery and was fully recovered and back to strenuous activities in three to four weeks. Of course I was 24 at the time...
Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hey all,

Not posting much these days but still checking in from time to time. Got a question for you. My DH is going in for hernia surgery next week. It’s an inguinal hernia. Because of the size and placement, laparoscopy is not possible. Rather, he’ll be having the traditional open surgery.

We’re confident in our doctor and his recommendations after having researched this extensively. Just wondering if any of you have been through this and if you can let us know about how long it took to recover and any suggestions for post op care.

DH is 58 and otherwise fit and strong. He hates this and wants to get back to his usual level of high activity ASAP. Naturally, I want to be cautious and make sure he recovers completely with no complications.
Make sure he asks his surgeon what can go wrong if he overdoes it too early and ruins the doc's good work.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had this surgery and was fully recovered and back to strenuous activities in three to four weeks. Of course I was 24 at the time...
Same thing with me. I was 25 and in the service. I walked bent over for a few days. I still have the scar about 3 or 4 inches long. I was not supposed to lift anything more than about 10 pounds for about 2 weeks. That was 30 years ago.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

DH had this done a little over 10 years ago at the age of 49. He was a 'fortunate' one as he had a double hernia.

His recovery time was two weeks. Pain meds took care of his discomfort and he was not to pick up anything over a few pounds during that time. Since he did what the doctor told him to do, he was just fine.

Here's a hint...to help your DH get out of bed, place a small chair (like a dinette chair) close to the bed. Sit in the chair and have him pull himself up to a sitting position. If needed you can swivel his legs to the edge of the bed.

I'm sure he'll be just fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I also had this surgery when I was young (22 YO). A little pain afterward for a week or so, took it easy for a while longer but I was fine after that. No recurrence of the problem, no additional repairs needed and it has been 30 years. He'll be glad he got this fixed--one less thing to worry about.

Good luck
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oh..one more thing. It would be wise to have a small pillow handy just in case he laughs or feels a sneeze coming on...he needs to hold it to his abdomen.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Same for me, but I was 28 at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I also had this surgery when I was young (22 YO). A little pain afterward for a week or so, took it easy for a while longer but I was fine after that. No recurrence of the problem, no additional repairs needed and it has been 30 years. He'll be glad he got this fixed--one less thing to worry about.

Good luck
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had the same procedure 4 years ago. Was uncomfortable, bed ridden, and had an extremely nasty bruise for the first few days, but was well enough 4 weeks later to ride 5 Boro Bike Tour in NYC (over 40 miles long). Have been fine since.

Best of luck to him.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Good luck
I was 12 and recovered in a wk. or two.. Also had no problems since and it
had been 49 years
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

have matching scars both sides, the latest one two years ago. Mesh only on this one, mesh & a plug on the other. I felt the latest operation was superior, neither was laproscopic BTW. Lifting and such was scary for weeks, heavy lifting made me think for months after, after a year I didn't think about it at all. Numb skin around the incision site. Funny hedge trimming. Pretty easy deal all in all - he should be just fine as long as your cats perform cat therapy by stepping repeatedly on the site.... Oh - no swimming for several (6?) weeks - guess an infection in the abdominal area is not advised.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Administrator

My dad had the same surgery when he was 78. He had left it way too long so the protrusion was large and very painful.

He had an epidural and said the procedure was really easy. (he requested music from the 50's during the operation and chatted with a nurse). He never mentioned how long it took to recover, but having being retired for almost 20 years he had mastered the art of taking it easy.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #13

I've had two, about a year apart in my early 40's. The first one was a new experience in pain and I didn't get out of bed for five days unless I absolutely, positively, had to. I didn't eat anything for those five days either. The only pain med I had was Tylenol with codeine and that wasn't near enough. I should have called and asked for something stronger but at the time didn't think of it.

The second one went as advertised. I was sore for a few weeks, but could walk, and remembering the first one asked for a stronger pain med and got percocet. It turned out I didn't want it for more than two or three days.

This is the one in which I found that percocet, boredom, a Visa card, and tool catalogs are a very bad combination. The UPS truck pulled up in front of my house every other day for the next two weeks.

Eventually in both instances recovery was complete and no further problems since.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #14

I had 3 (one had to be redone a few years later) but none were open surgeries. The first two were 25+ years ago and he plugged the hole which was cutting edge at that time. Years later the proceedure was to stitch in a strong 3X4 mesh patch surrounding the weak area. The good news is that it is now "bullet proof" - better than new.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Was your DH in a lot of pain from the inguinal hernia? I ask because two months ago I was getting a lot of hip pain when running but it also hurt in the side of my lower abs when I sneezed. The sports MD told me to rest a couple of weeks and by then the pain when I sneezed was gone (but the hip pain still lingers today). Every now and then I get a twinge of pain in that same area of the abs when straining heavily. I'm seeing a different MD next week so I will bring that up with her.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Was your DH in a lot of pain from the inguinal hernia? I ask because two months ago I was getting a lot of hip pain when running but it also hurt in the side of my lower abs when I sneezed. The sports MD told me to rest a couple of weeks and by then the pain when I sneezed was gone (but the hip pain still lingers today). Every now and then I get a twinge of pain in that same area of the abs when straining heavily. I'm seeing a different MD next week so I will bring that up with her.
Not at first, but it's getting worse.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Not at first, but it's getting worse.
OK, thanks. I hope the surgery goes well and he has a quick and full recovery.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #19

Purron, what's the news on our patient? I've been checking every day, wondering how it went/is going.

I had one side, open method, in my late 50's. The surgery itself went fine. And I felt unexpectedly well afterward... till the IV pain killer wore off, and things started to happen.

If I had the surgery on a Monday morning, I still felt pretty good Monday night, but pain was increasing slowly. Tuesday afternoon and evening I started to feel a lot more pain, and little strange pain feelings, like little earthquakes. I did not realize what was going on. Fluid retention in tissues, and swelling that was growing, and growing... from the incision area downwards. Oh boy. Tues. night I was starting (starting?) to panic. It was grotesque swelling, monstrous, and blue and blue-black areas. I looked like some kind of mutant. The checkout paper work said some swelling in the, ahem area, was possible. DW remembered the Doc mentioning it to her when I was in recovery, as a possibility. It was bad!

Got ahold of the Doc the next afternoon, he said that was not uncommon, and that "it was amazing how flexible skin really is". Um, yeah, but will it go BACK OK again? He said that by the 1 wk follow-up, swelling should be coming down. It did.

For the first few days, I needed help with pants, socks and shoes, no way could I do it myself. I started the day out taking one Hydrocodone (actually, its a mix with acetamenophen, to keep it off of the most restrictive drug list), then boosted to 2 at a time in the afternoon, and 2 before bed. I really tried to minimize the narcotic use, but it was just too great.

The only way I could get any sleep for about 3 weeks, was to lie on my side, incision side UP, with legs pulled up some, with knees one over the other, so legs were stacked in parallel. My knees hurt almost immediately, but a folded-over bath towel between the knees fixed that. To get in or out of bed, I had to start with the towel in place, and knees locked together and held with my hands, then roll into place. There are a lot of muscles in the area, and I never realized how much we use them for just about every movement we do!

After a couple weeks, I became aware of the screen. It felt like a piece of aluminum window screen had been put into me, and I could "feel" the sharp cut edges, that's what it felt like. That feeling decreased over time, would come back in certain movements, disappeared by 4 months or so.

I would say that I was out of commision from doing all the activity things I usually do, for about 3 months. I met a guy in his 20's, who had both sides done about 9 months before, he was told a happy happy timeline story, it did not go according to plan for him at all. But he did tell me "it WILL get better, even though it doesn't feel that way now!!!" That was true.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi All- A different question re: hernia treatment: What type of physician did you go to first for diagnosis: internist, gastro, or other? I understand general surgeons usually do the procedure but want to minimize the other steps. Thanks!
Scubablue is offline   Reply With Quote