Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
Red Yeast Rice lowered mine by like 25%...I bought it online with no issues. Do your homework for sure.

Red rice yeast is less expensive than statins, but actually carries risks in the same categories as statins. Not saying it's a bad idea, just saying watch for the signs, and make sure you let your doc know what you're up to.

--Dale--

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Otzi
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Otzi

Hello everyone,

New guy here. As I sport some new plumbing as a quad bypass owner[2008], this discussion has a high level of interest to me.

In the news recently is some reporting about medical findings for Otzi, the mummy found in an Italian pass in 1991. He had hardening of the arteries, genetic indications of heart disease risk, knee and ankle problems [maybe too much exercise] and arguably a "paleo" diet. He lived > 5000 years ago. Researchers speculate that if he had not succumbed to whatever killed him, he would have gone soon anyway via heart attack.

Heart disease is not modern...

Iceman Was a Medical Mess - ScienceNOW

Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Hello everyone,

New guy here. As I sport some new plumbing as a quad bypass owner[2008], this discussion has a high level of interest to me.

In the news recently is some reporting about medical findings for Otzi, the mummy found in an Italian pass in 1991. He had hardening of the arteries, genetic indications of heart disease risk, knee and ankle problems [maybe too much exercise] and arguably a "paleo" diet. He lived > 5000 years ago. Researchers speculate that if he had not succumbed to whatever killed him, he would have gone soon anyway via heart attack.

Heart disease is not modern...

5,000 years to get the test results -- you thought YOUR HMO was slow.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting article. I know essentially nothing about medical archeology, but throughout this article Iceman is referred to as Neolithic. At one point he is also referred to as "a hunter-gatherer". So unless there is some way to ascertain spectroscopically what his diet was, we are just guessing at what his medical condition may or may not tell us about anything at all.
Ha
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He had hardening of the arteries, genetic indications of heart disease risk, knee and ankle problems [maybe too much exercise] and arguably a "paleo" diet.
Maybe not what we consider a paleo diet today.

Quote:
The cavities, Seiler said in his talk, confirm that the Iceman ate a diet abounding in carbohydrates, such as bread or cereal, and reveal that he possessed a "heavy bacterial dose on these teeth."
The Iceman's Last Meal - ScienceNOW

Anyway, bld999, why not hop over here and formally join the group:
Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So unless there is some way to ascertain spectroscopically what his diet was
I'm pretty sure there is.

I'm sure I know less than you on the subject, but I do know that they can analyze skeletal remains and determine the type of diet they lived on by the chemicals in the bones, and use these results to track the places that nomadic peoples have lived in.

In others words, not only can they tell whether he lived mostly on meat or veggies, they often have an idea of the region that the plants grew in.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #187

Neolithic, not Paleolithic, his diet was "...abounding in carbohydrates", and he was genetically predisposed toward arteriosclerosis. Looking at some of the other stories about this find, it seems his diet is believed to have also contributed to excessive tooth decay, periodontitis, gallstones, and arthritis.

I don't know if a diet that truly replicates what Paleolithic man ate is possible in modern times, but it does seem that the modern way of eating (high carb, grains, refined/processed foods) doesn't work well our genetic predispositions.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm pretty sure there is.

I'm sure I know less than you on the subject, but I do know that they can analyze skeletal remains and determine the type of diet they lived on by the chemicals in the bones, and use these results to track the places that nomadic peoples have lived in.

In others words, not only can they tell whether he lived mostly on meat or veggies, they often have an idea of the region that the plants grew in.
Alan, thanks for this information.

Ha
Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Neolithic, not Paleolithic, his diet was "...abounding in carbohydrates", and he was genetically predisposed toward arteriosclerosis. Looking at some of the other stories about this find, it seems his diet is believed to have also contributed to excessive tooth decay, periodontitis, gallstones, and arthritis.

I don't know if a diet that truly replicates what Paleolithic man ate is possible in modern times, but it does seem that the modern way of eating (high carb, grains, refined/processed foods) doesn't work well our genetic predispositions.

I should have limited the comment to >5000 y.o. diet. Braumeister pointed out above, and you note, heavy carbs were involved, and the timing is wrong. My takeaway was that heart disease is not new, but maybe I am one of few who believe that it is presented as such [bacon, slurpies and barcaloungers, or whatever]. Not trying to make a case for a particular diet-causation thing. I'm fairly convinced about the outcome of getting shot with an arrow, however.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #190

My former boss went to a presentation today where the heart surgeon presenter shared a video of a recent surgery. The patient had a 4 cm (yes - that's 10 inches) aortic aneurysm. The surgeon slit the aneurysm and removed two handfuls of hamburger looking plaque. He actually took the plaque out with his hands and plopped it onto the table. Gross!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #191

The 95-year old aunt of my best girlfriend went into the hospital and a nursing home about a month ago. She has been living on her own with a caregiver coming in 4 times per week. Muscle weakness and confusion. She is normally sharp as a tack and walked with a walker until she developed severe pain in one of her legs and was getting confused. She was given a full battery of tests and nothing was amiss.

No history of heart problems but apparently she has high cholesterol so guess what she was taking? A statin!

I advised my friend to get her aunt of the statin ASAP. She saw her GP yesterday and he agreed she needed to stop the statin because she was displaying known side effects. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The patient had a 4 cm (yes - that's 10 inches)
4 cm is ~ 1.575 inches.

10 inches = 25.4 cm.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
4 cm is ~ 1.575 inches.

10 inches = 25.4 cm.
Can I borrow your calculator? Mine must be off. Actually it was the reverse - It was a 10 cm (4 inch) aneurysm.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I advised my friend to get her aunt of the statin ASAP. She saw her GP yesterday and he agreed she needed to stop the statin because she was displaying known side effects. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!
Just had lunch with a girlfriend today and she just received her blood test - high cholesterol. Whilst the doctor did not ask her to go on statin but he did assured her that there are no side effects given that he will only ask his patients to go on statin for short term like 3 months. Well, I'll still like to try natural remedies, diet and exercise first.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar

Can I borrow your calculator? Mine must be off. Actually it was the reverse - It was a 10 cm (4 inch) aneurysm.
Maybe that was the statins talking.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #196

Quote:
How about the "two handfuls" measurement? Is that accurate? (That's a lotta goop in 4".)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
How about the "two handfuls" measurement? Is that accurate? (That's a lotta goop in 4".)
My boss said that the surgeon reached in with both hands and plopped the gunk on the table. I don't know - maybe the doctor had small hands.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My boss said that the surgeon reached in with both hands and plopped the gunk on the table. I don't know - maybe the doctor had small hands.

I have assisted in that surgery many times and your description was pretty accurate .
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #199

Since I started this thread in February, I have undergone a low fat, low cholesterol and reduced carbohydrate diet with much increased exercise sessions. DH who tested high cholesterol went through the same. So, we got our recent blood tests results, and here's an update BUT first I must say, I am quite quite upset with mine. DH's resultes are great as cholesterol level is back to normal range and he lost 5 lbs. My total cholesterol has not budged a bit and still stands at 7.8. HDL (good cholesterol) is still high and unchanged at 2.1. LDL (bad one) has only dropped 0.1 unit and stands at 5.2. The ratio remains at average risk. But I lost 7 lbs which is quite a lot and I had no intention to lose weight (though I quite like the slimmer figure but wish to just maintain this weight and not lose more). Whilst I've changed the type of food I take, I had not decreased the volume. The doctor said my cholesterol level could be genetic (my siblings all have high cholesterol). She said to continue my diet and exercise. I also did a liver function test this time and it turned out fine. Am scheduled to do a liver/gall bladder scan end of the month to confirm no fatty liver. What more should I be doing - other than a blood transfusion?? I've not had a clam or a piece of cream cake for ages! My last prawn was in Feb, I think.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #200

Why not try an apple (or more) a day?
Apple a day keeps women's cholesterol at bay - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com