Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
I don't think we're being fair to ob. His role is to practice and administer the current form of medicine as accepted and approved by his profession. At some point, the understanding regarding cholesterol and it's relation to health will improve and recommendations given by doctors will change accordingly.

No science is ever perfect. Instead, it advances by observation and the development of models that more and more closely describe those observations.

A good doctor should welcome questioning by his patients, and I imagine that most doctors present their recommendations as just that - recommendations, that the patient is free to follow or disregard as they wish.
__________________

__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I don't think we're being fair to ob. His role is to practice and administer the current form of medicine as accepted and approved by his profession. At some point, the understanding regarding cholesterol and it's relation to health will improve and recommendations given by doctors will change accordingly.
I'm not sure Obgyn is a doctor. I've never seen him use that term, always choosing to describe himself as a 'clinician' which is defined as:

Quote:
A health professional, such as a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or nurse, involved in clinical practice, as distinguished from one specializing in research.
Now, let the dead horse beating continue...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not sure Obgyn is a doctor. I've never seen him use that term, always choosing to describe himself as a 'clinician' which is defined as:

Now, let the dead horse beating continue...
Aaah, there I go making assumptions again, though my POV applies even more if he is a clinician.

Agreed about the dead horse beating. I'm rather hoping this thread comes to an end fairly soon.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I don't think we're being fair to ob. His role is to practice and administer the current form of medicine as accepted and approved by his profession. At some point, the understanding regarding cholesterol and it's relation to health will improve and recommendations given by doctors will change accordingly.

No science is ever perfect. Instead, it advances by observation and the development of models that more and more closely describe those observations.
JMO, but I don't think this is about being fair/unfair to anyone. I think some of us are just trying to learn/decode the info out there, and part of that is understanding where our Doctors are 'coming from'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm rather hoping this thread comes to an end fairly soon.
I'm hoping to learn far more before that happens. Why end the thread for others - when you can put it on ignore if you feel that way?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Major Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 3,129
Good points ERD50. I thought that a few of the posts were a bit hostile towards obgyn65 but accept that my interpretation could be at fault.

Hehehe - I don't think I'm about to end the thread for others am I? I don't have that power, and wouldn't want to end it anyway. I have never put a thread or a person on ignore on any forum, but simply pay less attention to the things (and people) that interest me less. If I were to put this thread on ignore, it's pretty much guaranteed that Al will post about a tasty and healthful food that he's just discovered; I wouldn't want to miss out on something like that.
__________________
ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
You are joking, right ? If you google "defensive medicine" you will find hundreds of thousands of hits. A vast majority of my peers practice the same. I am sorry this concept is new to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sometimes you frighten me.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
When I joined I asked a couple of mods for advice. It was suggested I do not use absolute values (numbers), do not mention where I live, or my exact profession. As a consequence, since I provide obgyn services, I refer to myself as a clinician. There are only four titles that allow to do so : MD, DO, PA, and NP (take your pick). And yes, I do have the "doctor" title which I rarely use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not sure Obgyn is a doctor. I've never seen him use that term, always choosing to describe himself as a 'clinician' which is defined as:

Now, let the dead horse beating continue...
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
It seems I get in trouble every time I discuss anything related to healthcare ! Sorry, guys, maybe it's been a long day, but I do not think that my responses above have been treated fairly. So please feel free to eat and drink whatever you want to, feel free to read about clinical best practices or guidelines or not, at the of the day it's your choice - not mine. I only meant to help. This is my last posting under this thread. Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'm hoping to learn far more before that happens. Why end the thread for others - when you can put it on ignore if you feel that way?

-ERD50
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northern Michigan
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I agree. There is one side that understands, interprets, accepts and applies medical science. The other side does not. And it's ok - part of my job is to educate my patients too...
With all due respect, obgyn, I find this comment from you to be overly sarcastic and condescending. There are many highly educated medical professionals and diet/nutrition researchers who do not agree at all with the traditional advice from doctors regarding cholesterol and the effect of diet on heart health, as Trombone Al and others have pointed out. It's okay to say that you have to provide the "traditional" advice in order to protect yourself from malpractice lawsuits; it is another thing to ridicule those that have a different viewpoint than yours, and imply that they do not understand how to apply good science. I could cite many researchers who understand the scientific method very well, and have studied all the literature on this subject, and have a very different opinion about diet and heart health than you do, but Chris Kresser is a good one to start with:

Chris Kresser

RAE
__________________
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
toofrugalformycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Sounds good. Also avoid tobacco, drugs, alcohol (the usual culprits). What you write in your post is a good start. Keep us informed and good luck.
Doctors are taught to tell their patients to avoid alcohol, because of the incipient alcoholics out there (they take one drink, they're an alcoholic). Overconsumption of alcohol is more dangerous to your health than heart disease.
However, if you know you are NOT an alcoholic, the truth is that moderate alcohol use is so powerful at raising HDL, that in studies they have to control for its use. Moderate seems to mean 2 glasses of wine a day for a man, one for a woman. With the link between alcohol and breast cancer, I limit myself to half a glass a day.
Don't believe me, the scientific references are copious, just google.
It worked for me, YMMV.
__________________
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.
Moscyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 728
Getting my cholesterol level down appears more and more challenging. Of all the things I read in this thread which I find the hardest to do is to consume less carbohydrate and no alcohol. I think I'll just do my best and everything in moderation. But I know one thing I can't do is avoid alcohol - I'm not an alcoholic but I do enjoy a glass of good wine with my dinner. You see, I don't just drink wine, I appreciate wine a lot - I like to evaluate the taste and changes as I drink it with different food. I'll just have to drink less. What is easy for me to do in the entire list of my To Do list is the increase of exercise and more cardiovascular activities. In fact, I enjoy that very much.
__________________
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
It seems I get in trouble every time I discuss anything related to healthcare ! Sorry, guys, maybe it's been a long day, but I do not think that my responses above have been treated fairly. So please feel free to eat and drink whatever you want to, feel free to read about clinical best practices or guidelines or not, at the of the day it's your choice - not mine. I only meant to help. This is my last posting under this thread. Take care.
A bit of medical advice. Probably applicable to many of us:

Thin skin? Added protection helps - MayoClinic.com
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn
Getting my cholesterol level down appears more and more challenging. Of all the things I read in this thread which I find the hardest to do is to consume less carbohydrate and no alcohol. I think I'll just do my best and everything in moderation. But I know one thing I can't do is avoid alcohol - I'm not an alcoholic but I do enjoy a glass of good wine with my dinner. You see, I don't just drink wine, I appreciate wine a lot - I like to evaluate the taste and changes as I drink it with different food. I'll just have to drink less. What is easy for me to do in the entire list of my To Do list is the increase of exercise and more cardiovascular activities. In fact, I enjoy that very much.
I guess Im not very sophisticated wine drinker, I only evaluate the buzz it gives me I have a bottle every two weeks or so, but consumed in one evening. If I had a health issue, I would just quit, as I prefer drinking water and ice tea. I am like you, eliminating carbs would be very difficult. I am thankful I have no reason to, for now anyways.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,036
I just read this thread . Some of you are brutal . Have you noticed that rarely do medical people get in these discussions . Its because they are beaten up and spit out . If you really want opinions from the front line not just articles with a bias treat the medical people with the respect they deserve .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just read this thread . Some of you are brutal . Have you noticed that rarely do medical people get in these discussions . Its because they are beaten up and spit out . If you really want opinions from the front line not just articles with a bias treat the medical people with the respect they deserve .
I guess people read the same things and see them differently. I honestly don't see were any 'beating up and spitting out' was going on, nor anything brutal.

To the layperson, there seems to be a lot of contradictory information, or information pertaining to 'numbers' with little/no back up to real-life results. We are confused, and looking for some pointing in the right direction.

Here's an example of a comment/response that throws me:

Comment: I guess I need to heed the doctor's advice to limit the high cholesterol food I take.

Response from a(n assumed) Medical Professional: Sounds good

Now wait a minute - I thought it was learned long ago that the amount of cholesterol in the foods a person eats has little/no bearing on the cholesterol levels in a persons blood. Am I misinformed on that?

And I just added 'assumed' up there, as this is the internet and we can't know for sure. But I have no reason to doubt the poster, just trying to be clear, nothing more.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

I guess people read the same things and see them differently. I honestly don't see were any 'beating up and spitting out' was going on, nor anything brutal.

To the layperson, there seems to be a lot of contradictory information, or information pertaining to 'numbers' with little/no back up to real-life results. We are confused, and looking for some pointing in the right direction.

Here's an example of a comment/response that throws me:

Comment: I guess I need to heed the doctor's advice to limit the high cholesterol food I take.

Response from a(n assumed) Medical Professional: Sounds good

Now wait a minute - I thought it was learned long ago that the amount of cholesterol in the foods a person eats has little/no bearing on the cholesterol levels in a persons blood. Am I misinformed on that?

And I just added 'assumed' up there, as this is the internet and we can't know for sure. But I have no reason to doubt the poster, just trying to be clear, nothing more.

-ERD50
From what Ive read, about 75% of your cholesterol is body produced, so that leaves about a quarter. I think that is why my doctor was insistent on the fact that dietary food changes wont drastically change your levels, thus his advocating Lipitor pretty freely.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Although I said I was not going to post under this thread again, I realize some people reading it may get conflicting information. My top priority is to protect patients. Therefore, I am pasting below AAFP info on ATP III guidelines as well as dietary / lifestyle changes.

Nutrient Composition of the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes Diet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutrient Recommended intake
Saturated fat*
<7 percent of total calories

Polyunsaturated fat
Up to 10 percent of total calories

Monounsaturated fat
Up to 20 percent of total calories

Total fat
25 to 35 percent of total calories

Carbohydrates†
50 to 60 percent of total calories

Fiber
20 to 30 g per day

Protein
Approximately 15 percent of total calories

Cholesterol
<200 mg per day

Total calories‡
Balance energy intake and expenditure to maintain desirable body weight

From Cholesterol Treatment Guidelines Update - March 1, 2002 - American Family Physician (Tx guidelines). Please read these guidelines.

Take care everyone and keep safe.

ob
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Here's an example of an experiment that was well done at Stanford. Essentially, they put 300 women on different diet plans. One of the plans was Atkins. If eating more saturated fat and cholesterol negatively affects one's cholesterol numbers, you'd expect the women doing Atkins would have shown a worsening of the numbers.

Jump to 23:00 for the results (and he talks more about this at 25:30).



And note that the scientist, Chistopher Gardner, was a vegetarian (funny part at 53:00).

If eating fat hurts your cholesterol numbers, then it's hard to account for those results.
__________________
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's an example of an experiment that was well done at Stanford. Essentially, they put 300 women on different diet plans. One of the plans was Atkins. If eating more saturated fat and cholesterol negatively affects one's cholesterol numbers, you'd expect the women doing Atkins would have shown a worsening of the numbers.

Jump to 23:00 for the results (and he talks more about this at 25:30).

....

If eating fat hurts your cholesterol numbers, then it's hard to account for those results.
Thanks for that (and the time references, I never would have watched the whole thing right off).

Question: Relevant to the info that obgyn65 provided, recc Cholesterol <200 mg per day, do they cover in that talk (or do you know from other studies) how much dietary chol the Atkins group was consuming? For ref, a single egg yolk is ~ 190mg chol. I'm guessing that they would exceed 200mg/day, and their chol went down - this is the kind of things that seem conflicting to me. And then there is the issue of whether the numbers correlate with quality of life. It's tough for the layperson to slough through all this, but if the recc info seems off, what to think?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's an example of an experiment that was well done at Stanford. Essentially, they put 300 women on different diet plans. One of the plans was Atkins. If eating more saturated fat and cholesterol negatively affects one's cholesterol numbers, you'd expect the women doing Atkins would have shown a worsening of the numbers.

Jump to 23:00 for the results (and he talks more about this at 25:30).

That is a great video which I have seen before. Of course, in my own case I had the experience of testing my cholesterol numbers shortly before starting low carb eating and then after 6 months of low carb eating. For me, my total cholesterol and LDL went up (especially LDL), HDL is basically unchanged and triglycerides went down. I felt those results were mixed. That said, my fasting glucose went down markedly which I felt was very positive.
__________________

__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canine Confrontation - an age old problem Seeking Hobbes Other topics 28 01-06-2012 08:48 PM
Problem with ipad2 and bluetooth headset Nova Other topics 3 01-05-2012 07:02 PM
Problem adding an attachment in email veremchuka Other topics 8 12-10-2011 11:32 AM
Cholesterol -- Oatmeal chinaco Health and Early Retirement 33 07-29-2011 10:12 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.