Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I actually never found it that challenging, perhaps because I've found substitutes for the things I no longer eat. For example, I make waffles (and even brownies) with Carbquik, I have nuts instead of tortilla chips, I can make a sandwich with flax seed meal bread or oopsie rolls, and I eat Nature's Hollow sugar free Strawberry preserves.
__________________

__________________
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
I find low carb a very easy way to eat. Hunger is just not a problem, although I eat quite a bit less than previously-not deliberately, it just happens. Yesterday I had 2 eggs and cheese for breakfast, a large pork chop and sautéed green beans around 4, and right before bed a couple sheets of dried nori. My appetite was bit suppressed in the evening because I left my rowing until late, after spending most of the day reading a Stella Rimington novel. This morning I was pretty hungry, and had a big New York steak and eggs.
My only problem with low carb is social. It is not easy in a restaurant/bar situation where mostly people eat fries, sandwiches and wings. Previous to low carb, about 15 years ago and back, I had a real sweet tooth and hankering for coffee house fare- cheese cake, Napoleons, croissants and the like. I also had apple and pear trees, I might eat 5 apples on my way to work, all the while thinking I was doing great things for my health. Unlike Al, I do not attempt to replace treats with low carb versions. I just went cold-turkey, and found it to be no real loss. Fruit- I have berries once a week, at my girl friends house with heavy cream, just before I come home. We enjoy this, and it keeps fruit out of my house where I would likely nibble it.
Carb craving and untoward hunger disappeared within 6 months of getting the blood work wake-up and going low carb. Sometimes low-carbers first real sign that they had better eat soon is light headedness, or a sudden running out of gas. Then eat, because the next step may be fainting.
Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #123
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
....Sometimes low-carbers first real sign that they had better eat soon is light headedness, or a sudden running out of gas. Then eat, because the next step may be fainting.
Ha
I'd like to reduce my carbs, but I just can't. Whenever I try to cut back on carbs, I always feel tired and physically week. It's weird, but whenever I don't get enough carbs, I fall asleep mid-day. Maybe that's good, but from now on I'll just stick to everything in moderation until a doctor tells me otherwise.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,260
I could change my mind at a moment's notice, but lately, I have been thinking that some people are just designed to be meat eaters and some more veggy eaters. I was always so perplexed that someone like Taubes did so well on low carb while someone like Dr. Oz did so well on high veggy/grain diet.


__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Low carb diet is VERY VERY VERY challenging. I had the above mentioned lunch at 1 pm and my tummy was growling in hunger at 3.30 pm - I gave in to a salmon lettuce sandwich....
Don't be afraid to eat more whenever you are hungry. I have eaten whenever I have been hungry while on the Dukan Diet and have just hit a total weight loss of 27.6 which puts me within 2 pounds of my goal weight. I also experience the long periods without hunger that Ha describes.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I could change my mind at a moment's notice, but lately, I have been thinking that some people are just designed to be meat eaters and some more veggy eaters. I was always so perplexed that someone like Taubes did so well on low carb while someone like Dr. Oz did so well on high veggy/grain diet.
I think most people, including all the "experts", would agree that there is a large genetic component involved. We all know people who can seemingly eat huge meals and never gain a pound, and others who seemingly eat sparingly and continually put on more fat.

I believe Taubes' "insulin hypothesis" is a logical explanation for the second condition, but I'm willing to admit it probably isn't the whole answer.

As for the first condition, I don't see any alternative but to admire those folks for their good fortune in inheriting a great metabolism.

For the rest of us in between those extremes, I think we just have to experiment with various programs until we find one that A) works for us, and B) we can stick with.
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #127
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
....We all know people who can seemingly eat huge meals and never gain a pound, and others who seemingly eat sparingly and continually put on more fat.
Yes, I knew someone like that. Me. Right up to age 40 I used to eat anything and everything, huge meals and never put on weight. Those were the days....


Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
....For the rest of us in between those extremes, I think we just have to experiment with various programs until we find one that A) works for us, and B) we can stick with.
I don't doubt the various eating regimes work and I'm very fortunate that DW and I manage by simply eating a variety of foods without regard to proportions of protein/carbs etc.

Yesterday we had a small glass of skimmed milk at ~8:15am, cycled 14 miles then ate breakfast quesadillas consisting of scrambled eggs, cheese, and black beans. We rode 8 miles home and were not hungry until we ate at 5pm when we had a baked potato topped with onions and mushrooms that had been fried in olive oil.

I have a physical scheduled for tomorrow so I'll find out what my latest cholesterol numbers are.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'd like to reduce my carbs, but I just can't. Whenever I try to cut back on carbs, I always feel tired and physically week. It's weird, but whenever I don't get enough carbs, I fall asleep mid-day. Maybe that's good, but from now on I'll just stick to everything in moderation until a doctor tells me otherwise.
Diferent low carb promoters have written about this. Supposedly it represents the body (and brain) struggling to get enzyme systems upregulated to allow greater burning of fatty acids by muscles, and ketone bodies by nerve tissue.

They claim the lassitude and weakness lasts 1-2 weeks, or perhaps a month, then passes.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,837
There are a lot of doctors out there that still just look at the LDL number, which is wrong. It's not a very good predictor of heart disease. If you look at your numbers, you at least want to look at a more modern one: the ratio cholesterol over HDLC.

Plus 1 for all the comments about Taubes and his books. I've read the big one, and the new one. I recommend the new one, hehe. I don't loose weight by moderating carbs, but my numbers improved, I feel better, and I've only gained 5 pounds in the last 15 years (back then I read "sugar busters", "protien power", and those). I'm not a nazi low-carber, but I'm very aware, especially of refined carbs or those that are high glycemic load.

I fired my doctor over his old time bias / drug pushing tendencies. My LDL was something like 120 but my ratio was a healthy 2.7 (should be <5), and my doctor mailed me a prescription for Zocor!! Zero discussion about diet, zero discussion about anything. I fired that doctor on the spot.

Zocor just about killed my father in law. He ignored the muscle weakness symptoms and he was in a wheel chair before stopping that drug treatment! Months before, when he told me about the weakness, I said I'd stop taking that stuff, but he was mesmerized by "numbers" and asked "what about my heart". I said to my wife, a lot of good it will do him if he's dead! I wish I would have pushed the issue...his condition would never have gone as far as it did.
__________________
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There are a lot of doctors out there that still just look at the LDL number, which is wrong. It's not a very good predictor of heart disease. If you look at your numbers, you at least want to look at a more modern one: the ratio cholesterol over HDLC.

Plus 1 for all the comments about Taubes and his books. I've read the big one, and the new one. I recommend the new one, hehe. I don't loose weight by moderating carbs, but my numbers improved, I feel better, and I've only gained 5 pounds in the last 15 years (back then I read "sugar busters", "protien power", and those). I'm not a nazi low-carber, but I'm very aware, especially of refined carbs or those that are high glycemic load.

I fired my doctor over his old time bias / drug pushing tendencies. My LDL was something like 120 but my ratio was a healthy 2.7 (should be <5), and my doctor mailed me a prescription for Zocor!! Zero discussion about diet, zero discussion about anything. I fired that doctor on the spot.

Zocor just about killed my father in law. He ignored the muscle weakness symptoms and he was in a wheel chair before stopping that drug treatment! Months before, when he told me about the weakness, I said I'd stop taking that stuff, but he was mesmerized by "numbers" and asked "what about my heart". I said to my wife, a lot of good it will do him if he's dead! I wish I would have pushed the issue...his condition would never have gone as far as it did.
Did he recover?
Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 575
I got this link about the benefits of coconut oil. It increases HDL levels.
In addition:

Quote:
Researchers say the ketones found in coconut oil have slowed the progression of Alzheimer's disease in some people and may actually prevent it.
http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS
__________________
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,610
OTOH,
Quote:
... there's never been any clinical testing of coconut oil for Alzheimer's, and there's no scientific evidence that it helps.
snopes.com: Coconut Oil As a Treatment for Alzheimer's Disease
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 265
Sometime 1 good observation is worth more than 50 years of bad science.
__________________
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Did he recover?
Ha
Yes, for the most part. It was a long time, though. He ended up with problems he never had before, so not sure if those came from the drug reaction.
__________________
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #135
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Yes, for the most part. It was a long time, though. He ended up with problems he never had before, so not sure if those came from the drug reaction.
Well, glad he got partially back anyway.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Low carb diet is VERY VERY VERY challenging.
I guess it may depend on how low carb is low carb but truthfully I haven't found it difficult. The first couple of weeks were most difficult as I ate no grains at all. That was challenging mostly when eating out and I basically had to give up eating most frozen meals (yes, yes, I know I should want to cook everything from scratch but convenience is sometimes appealing).

After the first week I would eat one grain a day -- always whole grain. So, if I had a sandwich with whole wheat bread then that was my grain for the day. On other day I might have a frozen meal with whole wheat pasta (yes, there are some frozen foods that are whole grain).

I found it easy to stay between 40 and 60 net carbs and truthfully not that hard to keep it closer to 25.

Again, I did not entirely give up grains -- I am not all that carb sensitive that I felt I needed it. I did find that calorie wise it was very, very easy for me diet (using WW) while eating low carb especially in restaurants. Basically if you can't get grains or starches or sugars when you go out to eat it is very easy to stay within calories (I ate a lot of fish and non-starchy vegetables).

But it is really very, very easy to follow. Perhaps if I had needed to be super strict and super low carb it would have been more difficult.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #137
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
An interesting way to look at carb intake is to first calculate protein and fat requirements, then add enough carbs to reach the necessary calorie intake, based on activity level.
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
An interesting way to look at carb intake is to first calculate protein and fat requirements, then add enough carbs to reach the necessary calorie intake, based on activity level.
If you follow the RDI and your intake is 2000 calories per day, you will end up consuming 300g of carbohydrate per day. It probably goes without saying, but that is not a low carbohydrate diet.
__________________
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #139
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
If you follow the RDI and your intake is 2000 calories per day, you will end up consuming 300g of carbohydrate per day. It probably goes without saying, but that is not a low carbohydrate diet.
My calculated requirement, using a moderate level of activity, is 2560. This table shows the requirements to fit several different iterations of macronutrient levels.

PCTCARBPROTFAT
33/33/3321321395
60/15/253849671
30/30/40192192114
25/15/6016096171
33/22/45211141128
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
To continue that train of thought, I've been on a "lift heavy" weight program for a few months, and my reading suggests about 1gm protein per pound of lean body mass, which I guesstimate as around 140gms/day. Another recommendation I've seen is fat intake of 0.45-1gm/lb/day for a lean individual. Split the diff, and call that about 120gm/day. So, that's 560+1080=1640. So, I need an additional 920 kcal per day, or 230 gms.

These numbers are for active, bodybuilder-types. I was conservative in choosing a moderate activity level, because I spend too much time at a desk. But my workouts are fairly intense, and I'm trying to add muscle.

Here is the ref: Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canine Confrontation - an age old problem Seeking Hobbes Other topics 28 01-06-2012 08:48 PM
Problem with ipad2 and bluetooth headset Nova Other topics 3 01-05-2012 07:02 PM
Problem adding an attachment in email veremchuka Other topics 8 12-10-2011 11:32 AM
Cholesterol -- Oatmeal chinaco Health and Early Retirement 33 07-29-2011 10:12 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.