Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
tons of rice...
Oh my!

Along with other grains (yes, even corn) can drive up your counts.

I'm amazed the number of folks that are diagnosed (e.g. T2's) that don't take the "informational course" that is supplied by their local hospital on what you can/cannot eat (usually paid for by your health insurance).

BTW, (for TromboneAL), you can eat desserts, regardless of your "challange" (I have several cookbooks, if you are interested).

It dosen't mean that it is the end of life - as you know it. However, it does mean that you must "think" a bit before you put that (whatever) into your mouth ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It dosen't mean that it is the end of life - as you know it. However, it does mean that you must "think" a bit before you put that (whatever) into your mouth ...
That's good general advice for just about all aspects of life...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

cous cous , that meal is loaded with Carbohydrates, probably about 140 grams. That would make me go as high as you did. I just avoid those type foods. I have been dealing with this problem for five years. I ordered an A1C from walmart and it came back 5.5. My fasting numbers are under 90 most days. I do not check it as much as I did five years ago, only about three times per month. I eat bad some days but I usually get back on track quick. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #64

Hey Al...how's it going? I'm bummed because I've been tracking my numbers daily and it seems I have the "dawn effect." No matter what I eat (or don't eat), when I wake up in the a.m. my numbers are higher than at any other time of day. GAAAAH. This is frustrating as hell.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's going well. My numbers have all been good, although sometimes I'm close to 100 after an overnight fast. Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit). Go figure.

Sister was visiting and we compared readings with our different meters, and with two measurements on the same meter one right after the other. They can be 10 points off. Here are the comparisons we made:

My meter: 104, her meter:94
My meter, two measurements: 90, 101
My meter, two measurements: 104, 102, her meter: 97
My meter, two measurements: 81, 82

But I'm done with this now, don't want to let my hypochondriac genes out of the bottle.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast.
I don't want your genie out either, but I have one question. What did you eat last night for dinner? Was it something different from what you normally eat?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
My meter: 104, her meter:94
My meter, two measurements: 90, 101
My meter, two measurements: 104, 102, her meter: 97
My meter, two measurements: 81, 82
Just remember that meters (regardless of the brand or even the same brand) will not be exact matches - even if using the same supply of strips.

I've always used the A1C and fasting results from my blood testing center as the "gold standard". While my own meter is probably OK for general testing, it can't be considered the final answer on any result.

Hey, it's certainly better than the old days when you had to shave a bit of your finger off to take a test - or test using a urine sample (sorry about that).
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #68

Quote:
It's going well. My numbers have all been good, although sometimes I'm close to 100 after an overnight fast. Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit). Go figure.
That sounds very similar to my numbers. I've tried eating a small protein snack at bedtime, which seems to help my fasting number. (Fasting typically ranging from 92-97.) I don't get why my numbers are better during the day...even 1 hour after eating.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
That sounds very similar to my numbers. I've tried eating a small protein snack at bedtime, which seems to help my fasting number. (Fasting typically ranging from 92-97.) I don't get why my numbers are better during the day...even 1 hour after eating.
Sarah, among other possibilities most everyone's serum cortisol level peaks at around 8 am, and is lowest around 4 pm. This so-called "diurnal variation" is one of those mystery internal alarm clocks that have to do with sleep, brain function and other physiologic events.

Cortisol raises glucose which is why the use of steroids such as prednisone or Decadron can bring out diabetes in those who do not otherwise have the diagnosis.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #70

Thanks, Rich. Now I'm awash in medical terminology. Must check dictionary, brb. One other weird thing I'm seeing with the fasting number...if I sleep in, I get an even higher number. Seems that the earlier I rise, the lower my fasting number. Ugh.

Perhaps that's related to what you posted?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks, Rich. Now I'm awash in medical terminology. Must check dictionary, brb. One other weird thing I'm seeing with the fasting number...if I sleep in, I get an even higher number. Seems that the earlier I rise, the lower my fasting number. Ugh.

Perhaps that's related to what you posted?
Sure. Your "clock" is your clock and may not be in synch with the "average."

I find that a lot of my diabetic patients sometimes tend to focus a little too "finely" on the details. Do your best and don't worry about subtle variations. If your glycohgb is doing OK, so are you. If not, adjustments can be made.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #72

Rich--I appreciate your feedback. So far I'm in the same boat as Al... "pre-diabetic" and freaking out.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit).
Al--can you recommend a brand of protein powder? I tried some from GNC and it tastes awful.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I have some EAS 100% whey protein, vanilla, and some GNC 100% whey protein,chocolate, and I like the taste of both of them. I've seen "Designer Whey Protein" mentioned as tasting good.

My shake this morning had 4 oz water, 4 oz 2% milk, 1 heaping tsp of metamucil-compatible (orange flavor), 2 tsp protein powder, 2-3 tbs peanut butter, and 1/2 frozen green banana (that is, I buy them green, and cut and freeze them before they ripen). The peanut butter is the most important part.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #75

OK, thanks. I also freeze bananas...but I just toss 'em into the freezer in the peel. The peel will blacken but the banana keeps just fine to use in a smoothie.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, thanks. I also freeze bananas...but I just toss 'em into the freezer in the peel. The peel will blacken but the banana keeps just fine to use in a smoothie.
That's a good idea. I peel them, slice them, and put them on a tray until they freeze, then put them in a plastic bag.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Just to add.. I take "Designer Whey Protein" (strawberry flavor) Al mentions, and it tastes very good IMHO.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #78

Update...my bloodwork this week returned an A1C of 5.4!!! WOOHOOOO. This glycemic load thing is working.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #79

Would a steroid shot make a normal persons blood sugar go way up? I have always wondered that. Also just what is normal? oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Would a steroid shot make a normal persons blood sugar go way up? I have always wondered that. Also just what is normal? oldtrig
I would just ask your doctor. While I certainly would use the net to get some information, when it comes to my personal health, I go to my “health partner” (my PCP).

Of course, that’s only me…