Join Early Retirement Today

High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

High-Intensity-Intervals and Muscle Pulls

Sprinting on the beach is begging for an injury at my age or yours. Why? Uneven surface with inconsistent traction (even hard pack gives differently stride for stride). You'll fire muscles differently stride for stride and eventually take an "off" step at max intensity, which is the formula for a strain - asking a muscle to do something it doesn't normally do at a high intensity.

If I were you, I'd stay off the beach for sprints and intervals, and I've been that way myself since 35. Walk, run moderately? Sure. No sprints. My intervals are saved for the track.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #22

Did you stretch first?

Also, like others have said, I would not do sprints on a beach due to the inconsistent surface

I do HIT sprints as part of 5 mile runs, always during the last mile. I've noticed that my heart rate always increases gradually during a 5 mile run, even if my pace remains constant. So the last mile is a perfect place for the HIT training since it doesn't take as much exertion to get my heart rate up.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
HIIT does do a very good and (especially) efficient job of improving cardiovascular capacity. But if you can use a larger amount of muscle mass (i.e. arms and legs rather than just legs) to burn the O2, it will do your heart just as well and reduce stress on particular muscles and ligaments. So, maybe an elliptical machine or a rowing machine to get more muscles involved rather than depend only on the legs?
Certainly elliptical will provide much less stress on joints/muscles, but what makes you think you don't use arms when sprinting? IMO, sprinting is one of the best HIIT exercises you can do, its a full body workout, and a good one to use as part of your workout regime assuming your body can handle the intensity.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Did you stretch first?
+1

Caveat: I don't know anything about this whatsoever, other than what works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The thing is, I did everything right. I warmed up by just jogging for 5-10 minutes. I started each sprint gradually.
I am not a runner, but in general pulled muscles are telling me that I didn't do enough of the right kind of stretches before the exercise. Warm-ups are good, but for me they don't eliminate the need for stretching before and after exercise.

Here's how I visualize it, which probably is not correct but has helped me in the past. As we grow older, it seems like soft tissues in our bodies tighten up and become more rigid and shorter. Because of that, jerking on them (which happens to some extent when we exercise) is more likely to pull/tear something than it was when we were younger. Stretching relaxes and lengthens those soft tissues at least temporarily so that we have more leeway and can exercise with less likelihood of pulling or tearing something.

Also I have noticed that the older I get, the more stretching I need and the more beneficial it is.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

T-Al - why aren't you doing your sprints on your bike? I do HIIT intervals on the bike and several core weight routines (using the slow, one set to failure approach recommended in Body by Science) at the gym. If the weather is lousy I do the cardio on a stationery bike or elliptical machine. Running of the beach doesn't sound good -- too much sinking of the heels. Kind of like those goofy Earh Shoes back in the day.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Certainly elliptical will provide much less stress on joints/muscles, but what makes you think you don't use arms when sprinting? IMO, sprinting is one of the best HIIT exercises you can do, its a full body workout, and a good one to use as part of your workout regime assuming your body can handle the intensity.
Sprinting is a fine exercise. If you believe that the arm motion of sprinting provides as much resistance and recruiting of muscle fibers of the arms, chest, and back (relative to the legs) as an elliptical workout does, then you should stick with that.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Sprinting is a fine exercise. If you believe that the arm motion of sprinting provides as much resistance and recruiting of muscle fibers of the arms, chest, and back (relative to the legs) as an elliptical workout does, then you should stick with that.
Talk to a track and field coach if you think elliptical would provide a better full body workout.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
No, I had not seen that. What a howl!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No, I had not seen that. What a howl!
+1.

Al....58 degrees on the beach? Wish some of that would blow my way.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #30

Static stretching before running isn't needed, in fact it can hamper performance. Dynamic stretching such as leg swings and active muscle engagement in the full range of motion is advisable, but the days of coaches, trainers, and therapists recommending stretching before exercise are over. In fact, many don't recommend static stretching at all any longer. Dynamic/active stretching, foam rolling, and dynamic stability work are the name of the game these days.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Static stretching before running isn't needed, in fact it can hamper performance. Dynamic stretching such as leg swings and active muscle engagement in the full range of motion is advisable, but the days of coaches, trainers, and therapists recommending stretching before exercise are over. In fact, many don't recommend static stretching at all any longer. Dynamic/active stretching, foam rolling, and dynamic stability work are the name of the game these days.
+1, Every exercise book that I have read recently states the same thing. The type of stretching that I do before golfing as changed a lot over the years based on new research, it's now all dynamic stretches.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #32

Another viewpoint:

So, You Got Injured While Endurance Running: Where did You Go Wrong? | Big Think

Quote:
In his book, Ready to Run, physiotherapist Kelly Starrett writes that one problem is many runners never actually train to run—they just start running when they’re young and never take form into consideration. No serious runner would dream of this, but the majority of us are not professionals.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

HIT? .....naw, never touch the stuff. Burns my lungs.
LSD?..... now you're talkin! Life is but a dream.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you give us the name of this book?

Ha
Sorry I just saw this. Here's the book:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Intensit...dp_ob_title_bk
Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Sprinting is a bit different than distance running, but technique/form is really important. I try to focus on keeping my arms and legs working together in sync, elbows locked at 90 degrees, hands flat, knees high, use balls of feet, lean forward with head erect but not too far back or forward (don't want to cut off your air supply). That strong arm pump is a big contributor to speed.

As Nash advised, I never do static stretches, only dynamic warmup whether I am preparing for a gym workout or softball game.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel for the OP. I put on 25 pounds this winter in about two months and feel just awful. So I started trying to walk/jog with my daughter in the neighborhood and got terrible shin splints. No amount stretching, warm up or eating of bananas, tomato based foods, taking supplements seems to help.
My wife even bought a nice treadmill thinking that would be easier on me. Actually, the pain came much faster and worse on it.
Obviously, I haven't found the right stretches to do this type of exercise right now. Disgusted at what I've let happen in such a short time.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
Any ideas?

Do you have large calf muscles? Get a good pair of sneakers, and stop the jogging for a while, stick to walking at a leisurely pace. Never underestimate what that can accomplish with just walking. Swimming might be another option.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Sorry I just saw this. Here's the book:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Intensit...dp_ob_title_bk
Thanks Options.

Ha
Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Do you have large calf muscles? Get a good pair of sneakers, and stop the jogging for a while, stick to walking at a leisurely pace. Never underestimate what that can accomplish with just walking. Swimming might be another option.

Yes, I have pretty large calves and have always been pretty inflexible both upper and lower body. Will get back on the treadmill, but try a much slower pace for a few weeks to see if it helps.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Dr Gabila is one of the researchers on HIIT exercise. Here is an article on some different intervals.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle14926092/

In one talk I heard he said that 30 second max works but many people have trouble doing true max efforts. I stepped down a level to the 1 minute on, one minute off ten times. He says it is as effective in terms of overall fitness and adaptation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk