High Path Avian Influenza to keep an eye on

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health InspectionService (APHIS) confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic (HPAI) H5 avian influenza in wild birds in Whatcom County, Washington. Two separate virus strains were identified: HPAI H5N2 in northern pintailducks and HPAI H5N8 in captive Gyrfalconsthat were fed hunter-killed wild birds. Neither virus has been found in commercialpoultry anywhere in the United States."
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/2014/SA_WA_avian_influenza.pdf

"Also HPAI H5N2 in B.C. Canada Preliminary testing by the Province of British Columbia has confirmed the presence of H5 avian influenza on two farms in the Fraser Valley; a turkey farm in Abbotsford and a broiler breeder farm in Chilliwack." Update on avian influenza situation in British Columbia - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

when I read "whatcom" county I thought this might be a joke thread. maybe they can rename silicon valley "whatdotcom" ?

Last edited:
Latest USA bird flu updates

The 14 HPAI H5 detections, seven (H5N2), six (H5N8), and one (H5N1), occurred in five northwestern states (California, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington). Outbreaks occurred in five domestic, backyard flocks, two captive wild birds, and seven wild aquatic birds. All backyard flocks were destroyed after identification of HPAI H5 virus. Of 24 persons reporting exposure to infected birds, one person developed influenza-like illness (ILI) after exposure but subsequently tested negative for influenza.
Outbreaks of Avian Influenza A (H5N2), (H5N8), and (H5N1) Among Birds — United States, December 2014–January 2015

Other countries: until today I didn't know about the H9 strains
Egypt reports human H9N2 avian flu, H5N1 count nears 50 | Outbreak News Today
Avian Flu Diary: H9N2: The Other Bird Flu Threat from the link: "If all of this sounds a bit ominous, it may help to know that all of the H9 human infections detected to date have been relatively mild, that human-to-human transmission has not been detected, and that the H9 virus has managed to circulate in birds for many years without sparking a pandemic."

and now the first person to get an H10 bird flu
A new report published in The Lancet details the world’s first confirmed case of human infection with a new avian influenza virus that has genetically evolved from the H10N8 virus. A 73-year-old woman from Nanchang City in China died 9 days after the onset of illness from the infection.
First human case of new bird flu virus confirmed in China

After handling birds at the local live poultry market, it is recommended that one wash one's hands.

Oh, and an unrelated reminder. Cook that cheap turkey meat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, which ensures that any pathogens are destroyed.

The FDA promises these turkeys won't be entering the food supply. I just keep remembering the local slaughterhouse that was busily shuffling carcasses around during the inspectors lunch hour. They did finally get shut down, and several folks were convicted of selling condemned beef.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Oh, and an unrelated reminder. Cook that cheap turkey meat to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, which ensures that any pathogens are destroyed.

The FDA promises these turkeys won't be entering the food supply. I just keep remembering the local slaughterhouse that was busily shuffling carcasses around during the inspectors lunch hour. They did finally get shut down, and several folks were convicted of selling condemned beef.
+1

On to Missouri:"The Missouri Department of Agriculture announced Sunday that the virus was confirmed in turkeys at a grower facility in Asbury in the southwest part of the state." Bird flu strain confirmed in 2 Mo. facilities | St. Joseph Post

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This is why I trust companies to look out for my best interests.

Its why I trust my insurance company has my back, and I take all their minimum wage telephone workers advice as gospel.

Darn ole' gov't stickin their noses in a worker's business. :rolleyes:

Awesome. Guess I will be sticking to rabbit and squirrel for the duration.

now up to 14 states

Avian Flu Diary: APHIS: Wisconsin Reports HPAI H5N2 In Commercial Chickens
image%255B4%255D.png (image)

image%25255B4%25255D.png

Last edited:
AI is showing up in commercial flocks further north as wild birds migrate north for the summer. It usually dies out with hot weather arriving. There has been a lot of research showing there is no transmission to humans through meat. Human cases did occur in SE Asia in persons who lived in very close contact with high path AI. Especially in areas where flocks were kept under the house and there was a lot of air circulation up through the loose floor into the residential area.

16 States have Bird Flu H5N2. Good thing people are not getting this. But it is still a big deal for the economy. It turns out that if our exports are reduced by other nations closing their markets, that makes prices domestically cheaper. However, most exports seem to be dark meat.

Bird flu has wiped out 5 percent of South Dakota turkey processor's birds; not hurting exports | Fox Business
National Guard called upon to help fight H5N2 in Wisconsin
Bird flu confirmed at Iowa farm; 5.3M chickens to be destroyed - CBS News

image%25255B10%25255D.png
http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2015/04/aphis-iowa-becomes-16th-state-to-report.html

Perhaps we will all be eating squirrel instead of poultry...

Any idea if this is decimating wild bird populations as well?

Back
Top Bottom