Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm 74 a month from tomorrow.......diet is pretty good, a lot of vegetables/fruit, not a great deal of meat, (especially red), very limited, almost zero, (although an ice cold beer on a very hot day does taste good), alcohol, no pop, no potato chips or related crap.
A friend of mine in his late 60s developed hip pain a couple of years ago - turned out that he was iron deficient. His doc indicated that it is not that unusual in older men, particularly those whose diet is limited in iron rich foods (red meat, eggs, etc). He took iron supplements for a couple of months to get his iron levels back to normal and his pains cleared. The possibility of a vitamin or mineral deficiency might be worth checking.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
A friend of mine in his late 60s developed hip pain a couple of years ago - turned out that he was iron deficient. His doc indicated that it is not that unusual in older men, particularly those whose diet is limited in iron rich foods (red meat, eggs, etc). He took iron supplements for a couple of months to get his iron levels back to normal and his pains cleared. The possibility of a vitamin or mineral deficiency might be worth checking.
Previous blood analysis has indicated that my iron levels are within expectations but I'll see if I can wangle a blood test...thanks for the tip.

However, MRI indicates "Mild degenerative change involving the right hip with superior joint space narrowing. Osseous bump present at the superolateral margin of the femoral head neck junction bilaterally raising the possibility of femoroacetabular impingement".......which, given my totally untutored but Googled understanding (if 'understanding' can indeed be applied to my almost total incomprehension of anatomy) means "It don't fit right".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I think they say about 90% of the time these back issues will resolve with conservative treatment of therapy, rest and medication. It's the other 10% that needs surgery or pain management.

Unfortunately I was in that 10% and I'm a little over 8 weeks post op from my L3-L4 spinal fusion surgery to correct excruciating hip and leg pain. So far so good. Mostly pain free now, just sore from trying to get the back and leg muscles back in shape. Moving pretty good but still can't do much bending, lifting or twisting. Try and walk a mile most days but there are days where it's still too much. Probably be another 6 - 12 months before I'm back to "normal".

I was having bilateral leg and foot pain for a few weeks during my recovery but they just sent me for an ultrasound of my legs to check for clots and gave me some meds to help. It eventually resolved itself with time.

The defining moment in my case was when I was finally able to get some x-rays and an MRI that clearly showed there were issues that no amount of therapy, rest or drugs could fix. It helps to eliminate the unknown.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by N
However, MRI indicates [I
"Mild degenerative change involving the right hip with superior joint space narrowing. Osseous bump present at the superolateral margin of the femoral head neck junction bilaterally raising the possibility of femoroacetabular impingement"[/I].......which, given my totally untutored but Googled understanding (if 'understanding' can indeed be applied to my almost total incomprehension of anatomy) means "It don't fit right".
You are describing a loss of cartilage in the joint. How much cartilage is there in beer and vegetables

While your laughing think how many farm animals have joint replacement, high blood pressure, diabetes and arthritis.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
It helps to eliminate the unknown.
To quote Sherlock Holmes, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

It would appear that I'm another 10%er...one who is not quite through the deductive reasoning process yet.

Good luck with your recovery!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
While your laughing think how many farm animals have joint replacement, high blood pressure, diabetes and arthritis.
I don't know any veterinarians who offer hip replacements for farm animals or who test farm animals for high blood pressure, diabetes or arthritis. Can you recommend one who does?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Veterinarians help farmers prevent these problems using nutrition. A farmer would never put up with this medical malpractice on their animals. All these animals can have the same illnesses that people have but why is there a difference?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are describing a loss of cartilage in the joint. How much cartilage is there in beer and vegetables

Most of the farm animals around here have good but very short lives.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #69

Maybe we all need to eat like the great tortoises, they seem to have excellent longevity.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #70

In an attempt to get back on topic, with no medical education I would suspect that upright-walking humans have much different issues with back and hip wear than most quadrupeds, especially ungulates, which are the likely focus and experience base of most practicing US veterinarians.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #71

Quote:
Veterinarians help farmers prevent these problems using nutrition. A farmer would never put up with this medical malpractice on their animals. All these animals can have the same illnesses that people have but why is there a difference?
Not trying to be funny but maybe we eat the farm animals before they develop the diseases/health problems that humans see as they age or injure themselves. So farmers could be giving their animals supplements that are doing nothing. Again, I am not trying to make fun of d0ug's post, just wondering.

Look at the news about glucosamine this past year not working better than a placebo for human joint pain. Not positive but think this was first used in dogs for joint pain from arthritis. People are still swearing that it works for them, the power of the mind??
I see MRG and I are like minded.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

If you remember I told of my experience and I walk on two feet. I have seen personally many people who have done the same as me all without drugs and doctors.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

The new thing is Hyaluronic acid. A 75 YO golf nut suggested it to a 68YO golf nut I know - they both claim it works. I did my shoulder some damage and after a week ordered some of the Hyaluronic acid from Amazon. Have been taking 200mg twice/day and after three days feel less discomfort (of course now I'm two weeks from the injury). I don't really care if a what works is a placebo - long as I can lift my arm without squeaking!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The new thing is Hyaluronic acid. A 75 YO golf nut suggested it to a 68YO golf nut I know - they both claim it works. I did my shoulder some damage and after a week ordered some of the Hyaluronic acid from Amazon. Have been taking 200mg twice/day and after three days feel less discomfort (of course now I'm two weeks from the injury). I don't really care if a what works is a placebo - long as I can lift my arm without squeaking!
My elderly neighbor just had his daughter get him Wellesse joint juice from Costco and after 3 days he said it was working. I would think if it was working it would take longer to get into his system/joints. I don't say anything to him about my belief because if he thinks it's working then good for him.
Years ago, I can remember my great uncle visiting from Arizona and he was taking pectin in his juice in the morning. He said all the people in his retirement development were taking it for joint pain with great results.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Wholistic health would say if you if you are missing something it would be a good idea to put it in the body. Like if my car is stopped because it is missing a bolt then I will put one in.
90% of arthritis is cartilage degeneration would it be sensible to put in what is missing?
Harvard did a study on chicken cartilage can be easily found searching chicken cartilage and arthritis in fact it was so successful that they have a use patent on chicken cartilage.
ChickenCartilage.com Rheumatoid arthritis Harvard Study

https://appliedhealth.com/cellrenew-...heart-disease/
There is always a bias in studies and the retired editor for Lancet said that over 50% of studies were false.
When I see that a certain mineral, vitamin or supplement did not work. I would ask were they able to absorb it was their digestive system working right.
Finally no mineral, vitamin amino acid, or even supplement will work without co factors in simple term they cannot work along.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you remember I told of my experience and I walk on two feet. I have seen personally many people who have done the same as me all without drugs and doctors.
I do know of the benefits of proper diet and exercise first hand.

In my 30's I dealt with lumbar and sciatica issues, no fun at all. The osteopath who did manipulation always suggested weight loss.

In my 40's my c-spine caused significant issues and a neurosurgeon claimed that if surgery didn't paralyze or kill me it might cure me. I'm still waiting.

DW in her 40's developed knee issues and after failed cortisone injections was told she needed a knee replacement.

Last year(age 58) we completely changed our diets and lost weight. My lumbar issues are better and DW's knee issues are a bad memory. Our new diets resemble what our grandparents ate the '20s, little modern, processed food. Our exercise started as walking and now includes weights. The PTs who helped my c-spine issues had me exercise with 5 pounds of resistance, I now use 100.

This improved our lives greatly. I always love the common sense approach shown by large animal vets that we use too. However if my sciatica flares up I'll seek an MDs advice first(may not take it). That said a surgeon's job is to use their skills to help folks. The old adage "if all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail" applies. YMMV
Old 08-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #77

Quote:
I don't really care if a what works is a placebo - long as I can lift my arm without squeaking!
Don't underestimate the power of a placebo
Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Don't underestimate the power of a placebo
Especially if you get an industrial-strength one!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Was out sunning my shoulder this morning and whining when a friend drove up with his truck/trailer. He had lent us his log splitter and we had used it on a good sized spruce, leaving him the big soggy long needle pine to split and take as a thankyou. This was his second load. We split it up, loaded his rigs, then dragged the splitter over to our neighbor, his sister, and just finished splitting up a pile of green oak from her tree trimming job.

4 hours work. Didn't bother me much while working, suspect using utensils for lunch will be hurtful. Maybe I'll drink heavily tonight - doesn't vodka have a strong placebo effect?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe I'll drink heavily tonight - doesn't vodka have a strong placebo effect?
Mix it with good orange juice for the Vitamin C effect, too!