Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Haha - Maybe I'm just clueless here. But, it is not entirely clear to me if you had your hip replaced or if you are having some sort of new therapy? Assuming you had your hip replaced, I certainly hope all goes well with your recovery. If that isn't what happened, sorry that I'm being clueless.
I did have my hip replaced. I think I was just too out of it after the surgery and considerable blood loss to make that clear. I have discovered that blood loss and surgery kind of makes me stupid. Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts sent my way.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Best of wishes in recuperation, Ha. Hope to here soon from you that the cane has been banished to the closet.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Did you do the anterior method? My friend is still very happy with her results.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #44

Glad to hear that you are back to being the coolest, hippiest old guy in your neighborhood. Very best wishes for your recovery.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha...glad to hear you are doing OK. My brother-in-law had bilateral hip replacements within the past year and his recovery went unbelievably well. Hope your recovery is just as swift!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

A little slow dancing might be just what the doctor ordered! No high kicks just yet though......

Did you get a metal or a ceramic hip?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Ha, I just saw this thread. Glad to hear that you are already walking and feeling the pain being gone from the old hip. It can only get even better from here. Take care.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ha:

Here is the avatar I sported after mine was installed three years ago:

(now I'm back to my old self again - with no pain)
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #49

Ha - Like Katsmeow, I was confused as to whether or not you had your hip replaced. Take care and continue your speedy recovery.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Take care Ha. I'm looking forward to dance reports in a few months.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I did have my hip replaced. I think I was just too out of it after the surgery and considerable blood loss to make that clear. I have discovered that blood loss and surgery kind of makes me stupid. Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts sent my way.

Ha
Anesthesia will do that too.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's always good to hear when a procedure goes well. Best wishes for a fast recovery and relief from the discomfort.

Cheers!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Well, good for you.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Thumbs Up.gif (3.0 KB, 211 views)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear it went well. As someone suggested your Physical terrorist is your new best friend. Sometimes therapy is no fun, but the results are worth it.
Best wishes,
MRG
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, good for you.
+1
Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #56

Thank you for the update! I am very happy to hear that your hip is already doing much better even just a day after your surgery. Best wishes for a very fast recovery.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I somehow missed this thread, but I had noticed haha had not posted much lately.

So I'll chime in late with wishes for a speedy recovery. I know haha is the type to research things and will commit to any PT or other activity that will help him to regain as much ability as possible, so there is nothing I can offer there. But that can make all the difference in the world.

I must admit that I was shocked about you wanting to scramble around on rocks on the coast! Dancing yes, walking downtown with a backpack of groceries, yes - but the rock scrambling just doesn't sound prudent for those of us facing even minor mobility limitations.

I hope your recovery is now going as well as you hoped! These things can take some time, the body heals and adjusts slowly, be patient.

-ERD50
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for your good wishes ERD50. I am now 3 weeks post-op to the day. Everything has healed rapidly and I am regaining my general energy, though slowly. It's pretty much lights out by 7:30 for me!

I wake up in the morning with very little pain, but the hip starts complaining a bit as the day goes on. I do do all my exercises and walking, and I would like to do more but my instructions were general. Because I had what is called anterior minimally invasive approach, wherein no muscles are cut, only strongly retracted and split, there are only 2 hard no-nos-no wrestlers bridge, and no extending the affected hip far behind the body. These sound very easy, and I think are much less restrictive than other approaches, but I noticed that even while still in hospital I had a tendency to start to raise my torso off the bed by pressing back with my bent leg to arrange the bedding etc.

The other thing is that they say use normal good judgment. Well, I may not have any normal good judgment in this area. There is my judgment, and then there is normal good judgment, and I think that in my case these are only occasionally congruent. I see the surgeon in 3.5 weeks. Until then I will walk and row, stay away from weights except my groceries, and just go easy. I plan to ask him to help me set whatever limits need to be set for whatever time periods.

I am back home now after staying with my woman friend since surgery. My neighborhood is much more hilly than hers, and hills can sure highlight the general conditioning I temporarily lost with surgery.

Ha
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Yo, ha!
I was holding my breath for you.
Really glad it worked out so well. The Emerald City is a good place for new parts, ain't it?
Cheers,
Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ha, thanks for the progress report. Good to hear you have and are continuing to do well, and that you aren't suffering the pain levels you once endured. When do you start giving tango lessons again?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote