Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Glad to hear that things are going well.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,321
Final Report:

DW had her follow-up (five weeks since surgery) visit with the surgeon today. She walked into his office without a cane and is off all pain medicine. She was cleared to drive and resume any activities she wants. The Dr. said she does not need out-patient physical therapy, just to do the exercises he gave her at home. We have been doing short walks outside each day and gradually increasing the distance.

All in all an amazing outcome and an impressive recovery. Based on our experience - anyone needing hip replacement should not hesitate to get it done.
__________________

__________________
...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,900
Wow! Am so glad she had a good outcome.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Final Report:

DW had her follow-up (five weeks since surgery) visit with the surgeon today. She walked into his office without a cane and is off all pain medicine.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
grumpy, happy for your wife's great recovery. Sounds like she had a very successful operation. I was surprised by your earlier post where you said the operation only took three hours. Unless there were two surgery teams. Just can't imagine having both hiips done in that short period of time.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
grumpy, happy for your wife's great recovery. Sounds like she had a very successful operation. I was surprised by your earlier post where you said the operation only took three hours. Unless there were two surgery teams. Just can't imagine having both hiips done in that short period of time.
Jonnie,

The doctor who did DW's surgery does something like 250 of these a year. He told us that it typically takes him just over an hour to do one hip replacement. He uses an anterior approach, which is relatively new and requires much less disruption of muscles and other structures.

The doctor had provided DW with contact information for previous bilateral patients. When DW spoke to one of them he told her "Dr. Hamilton is a rock-star." Now we definitely agree.
__________________
...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Jonnie,

The doctor who did DW's surgery does something like 250 of these a year. He told us that it typically takes him just over an hour to do one hip replacement. He uses an anterior approach, which is relatively new and requires much less disruption of muscles and other structures.

The doctor had provided DW with contact information for previous bilateral patients. When DW spoke to one of them he told her "Dr. Hamilton is a rock-star." Now we definitely agree.
This is exactly the procedure my best friend (54) is having on one hip next Tuesday. Are you in the Seattle area? When she did her pre-surgery bloodwork yesterday, the lady taking the sample said he does 9 hips every Tuesday. His part supposedly only takes about an hour. She has been in major pain for several years and everyone just figured out the issue was her hip and not her back.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
This is exactly the procedure my best friend (54) is having on one hip next Tuesday. Are you in the Seattle area? When she did her pre-surgery bloodwork yesterday, the lady taking the sample said he does 9 hips every Tuesday. His part supposedly only takes about an hour. She has been in major pain for several years and everyone just figured out the issue was her hip and not her back.
Buckeye,

No, not the Seattle area - about as far from there in the US as possible - Virginia. DW's doctor is at the Anderson Clinic in Mount Vernon Va.

Your friend should find that the pain is completely gone immediately after the surgery. Good luck to her.
__________________

__________________
...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on using arthritis supplements for hip joint Dimsumkid Health and Early Retirement 47 11-25-2012 01:24 PM
My turn again - Dad fell and broke his hip Sue J Life after FIRE 55 01-13-2012 04:52 PM
anyone with Sloan Kettering experience? palomalou Health and Early Retirement 3 08-10-2011 06:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.