History of early family cancer deaths finally hitting me ...

If everyone in your family dies from the same type of cancer then yes be proactive like getting breasts or ovaries removed. My dad had a massive stroke at 59 but my mom had small ones from 78-until she died at 89 from cancer. I am at higher risk of course. I exercise daily, take my BP medications, etc but I don’t dwell on it because it is outside my control just like the cancer on my mom’s side of the family since everyone had a different type.

The thought bothers me too but Nemo is right:))

In the long run, we are all dead.

My neighbor who is a few years older than I, was shocked when I retired 4 years ago. He said he never invested in anything but life insurance, citing all his siblings and parents all died in their late 40's. He said he figured his DW would be better off getting the life insurance proceeds, rather than lose it in the stock market.

My DF was never sick a day in his life while I was alive, until he retired. Several months into retirement he was diagnosed with AML, and died three years later. He was the first of his siblings to pass, who are older and some are still alive 13 years later.

Last edited:
Concerning cancer: Both my parents had cancer, and my father died from it when he was younger than I am now. There's not a blessed thing we can do about any hereditary influences that might cause us to get cancer. But we can possibly reduce risk by addressing environmental factors. Which is one of several reasons why I have not smoked a cigarette in the past 41 years, for example.

Concerning death: For me, retirement is so good that the possibility of death shakes me up. Some of those I have cared deeply about (close family and my ex) have unexpectedly passed away in their sixties just this summer. It's unnerving, to say the least. I keep thinking, "what's going on?" but there is no answer. I remember them fondly, and in a sense they remain alive in my memories. Wish that wasn't all, but "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride" (as the saying goes).

Concerning what I am going to do about it: I do what I can to get the most out of life, and to live as long as possible. I intend to get the most out of every minute that I have left. But really that is all we can do. I think the ultimate tragedy in life is that it eventually ends.

I intend to get the most out of every minute that I have left. But really that is all we can do. I think the ultimate tragedy in life is that it eventually ends.

I wonder, more and more the closer I get, how I'll handle the lead in.....afraid I'll be shouting "No, no, not ME...take him, take her...".

But maybe by that time I'll be like DW's almost 93 year old father..."I've had enough".

Who knows?

robnplunder - One thing you may have come across in your reading about cancer prevention is intermittent fasting. We have discussed it before on this site......there is probably a thread with that title if you do a search. Anyway, some doctors and others think intermittent fasting may help reduce the chances of getting cancer, and also other diseases. IF does not mean that you go without eating for a full day, or anything like that.......typically you can just restrict your eating to a 16-hour window for at least a couple days each week (or more days, if you like). No need to restrict overall food consumption or go hungry.

Anyway, it may be something you could look into. I have been doing IF for a short while now, and I may continue. Here is one short article about it:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

I have been doing the intermittent fasting for a some time now. I started it in order to remove belly fat. It was a big success & I have ideal weight now.

I wonder, more and more the closer I get, how I'll handle the lead in.....afraid I'll be shouting "No, no, not ME...take him, take her...".

But maybe by that time I'll be like DW's almost 93 year old father..."I've had enough".

Who knows?

I talked to my mother on the phone a couple of months before she died, at a month short of age 98. She told me that she had made peace with the universe, and that while she was still enjoying every moment of life, she was ready to pass on when the time came and I should not be sad when that occurred. Given that she was not religious, I thought that was an amazing thing to say.

As for me, I'm not there yet!! I cherish every single moment of every day and I am not presently as much at peace with the idea of death as she was.

I doubt the 90% claim. For every theory there is one that is changed years down the road. We're all looking for an answer to why people get cancer. I'd be curious what men do wrong to get prostate cancer.

The incidence of prostate cancer is almost certainly influenced by diet and lifestyle. That is why Asian men who eat a traditional Asian diet (heavy to fish, cruciferous vegetables, etc) have much lower rates of prostate cancer than Western men who eat a traditional Western diet (heavy to processed red meats, refined carbs, sugary drinks, etc).

There are lots of studies about this in the med. literature. Here is a quote from an abstract of one recent study, along with a link to the abstract:

"A variety of dietary and lifestyle factors appear to affect prostate cancer progression. Several generally widely recommended lifestyle factors such as not smoking, maintaining a healthy body weight, and regular vigorous physical exercise also appear to affect prostate cancer progression. Several dietary factors, such as tomato sauce/lycopene, cruciferous vegetables, healthy sources of vegetable fats, and coffee, may also have a role in reducing risk of prostate cancer progression."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27518576

Yeah, I have to add back tomato sauce in our diet, even though we don’t eat pasta anymore. We used to eat lots of pasta with lots of tomato sauce. Now I’ll see if it helps lowering my husband’s PSA naturally. Same with beet root, in my intermediate family, I’m the only one who has not had to take high blood pressure medicine. Now I know why, for years, I grew lots of beet roots and carrots. Since moving from that house with big land, I don’t grow a lot of beet roots and therefore I don’t eat a lot of beet roots. No wonder early this year, my bp has climbed up. Now I have to add beet root as a vegetable to grow back to my garden. Eating beet roots and a lot of other vegs and fruit can help keeping my blood pressure normal naturally.

Last edited:
There's not a blessed thing we can do about any hereditary influences that might cause us to get cancer.

Well, they are actually finding out now that things like diet and lifestyle CAN actually influence DNA (or more correctly, how our genes are expressed). Here is a link to a recent article (written by a doctor) about this, in relation to genes and cancer: (the quote is from the article intro.).

"It’s no secret that diet and exercise can directly impact our health. But for many people, genetic predisposition to disease – be it hypertension or diabetes or cancer – is often perceived as a risk that is out of their hands. New findings in the field of epigenetics, however, suggest that we may have more control than previously thought when it comes to preventing the onset of sporadic or even heritable diseases. Our daily routine, from what we eat for breakfast to the distance we travel to work, could determine whether or not our gene sequences activate or prevent the development of cancer within our bodies."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...d-affect-gene-sequences-that-code-for-cancer/

Well, they are actually finding out now that things like diet and lifestyle CAN actually influence DNA (or more correctly, how our genes are expressed).
Exactly. There's not a blessed thing we can do about any hereditary influences that might cause us to get cancer. All we can do is work on environmental stuff (which naturally alters the environment in which "our genes are expressed"). It's all word play since this has been known for a very long time.

Some people can even alter the color of their eyes by eating certain foods! Doesn't mean a thing as far as their heredity, though, which is a permanent influence.

I think I would see if the cancers that they died of had a genetic connection... and if they did I would get a genetic test done if possible...

I would also make sure that I had a checkup on a regular basis and make sure the doc knew my families history... there are many times I do not think they even read what you put down as they always seemed surprised when you tell them that so and so in your family had whatever... even though you put it on the form you had to fill out....

SOOO, testing, testing testing.. many cancers can be dealt with if found early enough...

True familial cancers are relatively rare but it is very much worth seeing if they can be ruled out in your family. They'd ask about extended family history, types of cancers and other risk factors.

And agree that appropriate and regular screening is the way to go. Many cancers are very curable if caught early and some prevented all together if found in the premalignant stage.

Very sorry for your losses. Hopefully you will live long and well.

I talked to my mother on the phone a couple of months before she died, at a month short of age 98. She told me that she had made peace with the universe, and that while she was still enjoying every moment of life, she was ready to pass on when the time came and I should not be sad when that occurred. Given that she was not religious, I thought that was an amazing thing to say.

Two thumbs up!

The main known cause of my brothers' cancer was smoking. I am not a smoker. The only vice I have which may contribute to cancer is drinking as I drink a few times a week (no more than 2 glasses at a time).

Not always, but for many years I've eaten a healthy diet, exercised regularly and generally lived a healthy lifestyle. I'm far from perfect but I've done my best and much better than most. The result was near perfect health until I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 65 and undergoing surgery and chemo-radiation. My father died of cancer at 58 and his father at 56 so I've outlived them by a significant amount. My prognosis 1 year out from treatment is excellent. My take is that you can and should do your best to maintain your health but beyond that you take things as they come, there isn't any other choice.

I will say that my good health and fitness prior to my diagnosis helped me get through the necessary treatment better than most. My body took a beating but recovered relatively quickly. Always stay as healthy as you possibly can.

Last edited:
Not always, but for many years I've eaten a healthy diet, exercised regularly and generally lived a healthy lifestyle. I'm far from perfect but I've done my best and much better than most. The result was near perfect health until I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 65 and undergoing surgery and chemo-radiation. My father died of cancer at 58 and his father at 56 so I've outlived them by a significant amount. My prognosis 1 year out from treatment is excellent. My take is that you can and should do your best to maintain your health but beyond that you take things as they come, there isn't any other choice.

I will say that my good health and fitness prior to my diagnosis helped me get through the necessary treatment better than most. My body took a beating but recovered relatively quickly. Always stay as healthy as you possibly can.

Great advice. I have been trying to live a healthier life. Good luck with your treatment!

How long will we live?

I have a family situation similar to OP. I think one of the (oddly) positive affects on my life is to begin to make friends with death even as I do what I can to maintain my health.

In the meantime I keep this understanding close: as I speak about and consider my death, I also speak about and consider my life.

I am beyond grateful that I’ve been retired for the last several years. I am having the time of my life. When I think about my death, it seems impossible to imagine how I could finish loving the world and my special people in it.

However, it does seem like it might be easier to wrap things up when I listen to cable news.......

I can see how it would be easier to live a healthy lifestyle if I didn't work 40 hours a week. I drive to work in the dark and have to go straight home to take care of the dog. By the time I feed and walk the dog and myself, I'm done. I just joined a gym and when I go it has to be right after work or I just won't make it.

I can see how it would be easier to live a healthy lifestyle if I didn't work 40 hours a week. I drive to work in the dark and have to go straight home to take care of the dog. By the time I feed and walk the dog and myself, I'm done. I just joined a gym and when I go it has to be right after work or I just won't make it.

I can relate, as I had a similar schedule when I was working (dog plus two stepkids, plus a bunch of daily house chores to get done, etc). It did get much easier for me after I retired. Now I have more time to spend in my vegetable garden, more time to cook healthy meals, and more time to exercise. I consistently get more sleep now, too (and wake up with the daylight.....not in the dark). Retirement was definitely good for my health.
How long do you have until retirement, Omega?

RAE I'm 54 and hoping to be able to retire at 59.5, but I don't know if I'll have enough.

I've been reading browsing this forum for a few years and joined last week. I've gotten good advice already; books to read, tips to track spending, and tons of info on health insurance.

I posted my numbers in the Hi I'm... section. I'm open to any and all advice!

RAE I'm 54 and hoping to be able to retire at 59.5, but I don't know if I'll have enough.

I retired at 53. I sought out advice on this forum before I pulled the trigger. Some thought I didn't have enough but I thought I did. I was right, knock on wood. My total asset has increased, my spending decreased, and I aged 3 more years (more money left for retirement spending :):().

I developed numerous healthy habits - switched from coffee to green tea, lost 20 pounds, eating a lot healthier, reduced stress, .... Hopefully, all these measures will help stave off cancer for years.

Sorry to hear that. Black berries and Acai berrie juice everyday .. The Purple group of fruits are the most potent anti-cancer fighters. Studies shows these super anti-oxidants kill cancer cells. We get frozen blackberries or mixed berries from Costco in big bags, which my wife purees with a blender. Then, we also buy the big bottled Acai Berry Juice in Costco. We take purples berries daily.

http://news.ufl.edu/archive/2006/01/brazilian-berry-destroys-cancer-cells-in-lab-uf-study-shows.html

Last edited:
I read that turmeric, or more accurately curcumin which is a substance found in turmeric, was known to kill cancer cells. But the result was from studying cultured cells on a Petri dish. When curcumin is taken as a dietary intake, its effectiveness has not been demonstrated. That's too bad.

I've been reading browsing this forum for a few years and joined last week. I've gotten good advice already; books to read, tips to track spending, and tons of info on health insurance.

I posted my numbers in the Hi I'm... section. I'm open to any and all advice!
Check in at a sister site, early-retirement.org. They have a caculator there.

Back
Top Bottom