Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Whatever is ripe and in season gets picked and divided among the subscribers. You can buy a full or half share or split either with another person/family. So you may end up with a whole heck of a lot of something one week and not much of it the next. If theres something you dont like, you leave it and someone picking up late will get it as a bonus.
. . . . .
Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest
Thank you, thank you! I had no idea that these existed and could only occasionally talk myself into fighting the traffic & limited parking downtown to buy from the local farmers market. Using the link above I found that there is a nice CSA less than 1 mile from my house. They have an open house in August so I've put it on the calendar to go check it out and learn more.

--Linney

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
The short answer is NO. Why worry about a little food poisoning? If anyone is freaked then I am quite certain they have never traveled abroad.

Absolutely - the few times I have had food poisioning are when traveling abroad.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Six days after I started this thread, it seems like no one knows for sure what the culprit is...and now Mexican restaurants here are not including cilantro or jalapenos in salsa or guacamole:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...staurants.html

Supposedly 90% of Mexican restaurants use canned tomatoes for their salsa (this sounds so high to me), so that's not an issue.

Wonder if visits to Mexican restaurants have decreased out of fear......that people will either get sick or that the food won't be as good without cilantro or jalapenos (that would be more my fear at this point)? What do y'all think?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Wonder if visits to Mexican restaurants have decreased out of fear......that people will either get sick or that the food won't be as good without cilantro or jalapenos (that would be more my fear at this point)? What do y'all think?
Is it mostly happening in Mexican restaurants? I haven't heard about any problems in our local area (yet), but New Orleans isn't especially noted for Mexican food. Frank and I ate at Chevy's a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to be about as busy as always. We both hate jalapenos, so we fish them out of whatever we eat anyway.

Most of our favorite restaurants here are Creole/Italian. They rely heavily on tomato-based preparations such as marinara sauce, which we eat fearlessly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i saw the cnn special on the bagged lettuce/spinach issue and they basically said the stuff was the highest risk since it was processed so much...

of course my inclination is to not believe the fear mongering media - but then they show that poor little girl who got really sick when all her parents were trying to do was feed her some healthy fresh spinach and I have to think that could be me!

but i still have two bags of it in my fridge and have used it a lot in the past...maybe i'll just eat it myself ...it's just the little kids are more vulnerable then us big adults...so i do have to say i am more cautious than before...or is this a case like the shark biting - where it was happening to a relative low degree but now is being blown up by media attention?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #26

Our waistlines can't Mexican food these days so we don't go that often

Since moving back to Baton Rouge we are only a mile away from an excellent outdoor fresh produce market which is excellent. We too believe that the less processing the better, although you still get bacteria spread to fresh produce before the picking and processing even begins.

Unless people are dropping like flies we'll keep on eating our high veggie diet. I still just don't think this latest outbreak is serious enough to worry about - more danger on the roads.

In fact this morning while walking to our local tennis courts DW and I walked on the road while we could as the grass on the side had been fresh cut and was very wet from early morning dew (it was 7:30). Baton Rouge doesn't even provide the smallest of shoulders on their roads but this is a very wide road, 4 lanes with a turning lane and we were walking facing the oncoming traffic. Very little traffic and every one that approached us pulled out to pass us but one woman driving a large SUV just would not budge an inch and we had to jump onto the verge to avoid her. She wasn't on the phone, doing her make-up or anything, I had full eye contact but she simply forced us off the road.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I lived away from town I would give myself a mild case of food poisoning every few months or so, because i would get home late and hungry, and not be very discerning about the age of the leftovers that I prepared.

Since moving to the city with supermarkets an easy walk this hadn't happened once- if in doubt, I throw it out. Likewise I shop 4 or 5 times a week, so nothing is old.

I hate enteric infections, and I hate them even more in some cheap hotel in a foreign country.

Ha
Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #28

Update

Salmonella found in Mexican-grown jalapenos - Infectious diseases - MSNBC.com

Boo hiss one of my favorite things..
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update, NML! Ironically, I just went out for Mexican food last night and will be going again on Thursday. Guess I won't worry about it (too much)---this crisis may be waning and who knows what the next dangerous produce item will be?!?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
Administrator

I just KNEW there was a good reason why I hate jalapenos!!!

We ate at Chevy's again last week, and I really enjoyed it. It was absolutely jammed, and we got the last table or nearly so. We both left the jalapenos on the serving plate, though. Blech.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of salsa, here's a my version of a southwest scrambled egg. As I scramble a couple of eggs I add a couple of spoons of Sam's southwest bean and corn salsa, a slice of cheese, a dash of tabasco sauce, and a little black pepper. Simple but good. Of course don't forget a couple of slices of bacon on the side. Doesn't take much to keep a single guy happy.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, the scrambled eggs with salsa mixed in has an actual name...'wrecked eggs'.

Guess its a good thing I went for the regular Carls Jr. Six Dollar Burger for lunch today and didnt go for the Jalapeno burger instead, as I almost did.

I'm going to have to go with the gut belief that after a couple of hours in the smoker wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cream cheese and sausage that the salmonella is killed off.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I had fresh salsa with chips at Tino's on Saturday afternoon. There's nothing wrong with.....ack!!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh. Either the salsa got him or the reflective foil in his attic caused an overload and the house collapsed on him...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #35

Im having a pretty good crop this year. I should have about 6 or so to pick in a week. No poopie and bad stuff on my jalapenos!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I discovered when I had three plants a couple of years ago that a) they grow pretty well around here and b) they freeze well.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im having a pretty good crop this year. I should have about 6 or so to pick in a week. No poopie and bad stuff on my jalapenos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I discovered when I had three plants a couple of years ago that a) they grow pretty well around here and b) they freeze well.
All of my peppers (Jalapeño, Anaheim Hot, Cayenne, Sweet Banana, Better Bell) are doing great! The plants are absolutely loaded! I've been picking peppers for over 2 weeks now, with no end in sight. And what we don't need for immediate consumption get frozen for future use.....In fact we just used up the last frozen batch (from last year) last week.....they do freeze well.

Also the 'Small Frye' cherry tomatoes are producing about 12-18 'maters per day now. The Early Girl Bush 'maters are just starting.....had them on BLT's Saturday! Yum! And I picked 2 zucchini squash this morning.

So, to blazes with contaminated, virus-laden Mexican produce! Let 'em use their tainted jalapeños as suppositories....if you catch my drift (wink-wink, nod-nod).
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - tomatos grow like crazy but peppers just don't like my soil or something - jalapeno,banana, bell - does better but not great. Plants grow but fruit is wanting.

heh heh heh - I may have to turn in my green thumb.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I am confused by the current epidemic of salmonella-contaminated fruits.

Is the contamination only on the surface? If so, can't it be washed off with water laced with a bit of clorox, or hydrogen peroxide? I remember in the old days, people use iodine as disinfectant in water to wash fruit and vegetable. I know that in the US, we are accustomed to just eat fruit and veggie off the supermarket bins. In Asia, people always wash them carefully.

Or is the contamination systemic?

Please enlighten me.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

As I understand it, its systemic and enters through the stem.