Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Home gym equipment
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Home gym equipment

I had a rack and a huge set of Olympic weights and a whole rack of dumbbells in my house, and my two sons and I used it all the time. Now I have very little room, so I have been going to the gym. All was fine when I was only doing weights and relying on walking for my cardio, but I have started again to row on the Concept2 erg. Going to the gym 5-6 days a week takes too much time. It is downtown and there is no parking that I could afford, so I mostly take a bus. By the time I walk to the bus stop, leaving enough margin so that an early bus doesn't evade me, and catch the bus downtown i have used 30-45'. Then another 10' to walk from the bus stop to the gym. 10 minutes or so to get dressed and get back up to where the ergs are, 40' or so on the erg, 15 minutes or more to shower and dry- then I usually walk home rather than wait for a bus. So I am away about 3 hours. I arrive home semi-starved, sometimes I have to go out to buy food-another 2 miles round trip, etc.

Concept2 recently developed a model called the dynamic which can be used in a 6'x4' space rather than the 9'x4' space required by their classic model D. Actually less width for me, as I am not all that big.

They are not cheap, (the Dynamic is about 50% more than the Model D), but I have used the older model D for years, and I found a place to try out the Dynamic and I find I like it even more. So I ordered one. Now I will continue to go to the gym 2-3x/week to lift weights, but I can get my cardio and intervals here at home without devoting nearly so much time to it.

Usually I avoid expense other than immediate pleasure consumption, but I think this one will pay off for me, as I have no worry that I will not use it daily. Concept2 also has a huge user group and nice social aspects to keep people rowing. The monitor data can be downloaded through a USB port to log onto their site and download one's distance, times, power output (watts), split times etc, and there are prizes and rankings- some competitive, and some just based on doing it and getting the daily distances.

So far I have been doing 3 sets of 2000 meters, at what is for me at my current condition a fairly demanding but not overwhelming pace, and every 400 meters doing a "power 10", where I pull as hard as I can and go into oxygen debt.

I notice that my legs are still fairly fit, I guess from hill walking, but my shoulders and upper back are getting quite a challenge. By nighttime I am really exhausted.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Love that Concept2 rowing machine! I use it at the gym sometimes (not the smaller model, though). I think you made a wise choice.

The fact that it wasn't cheap should be great motivation to get your money's worth. Like you, I do weights at the gym (three days a week), but I am riding my exercycle in the evenings because I just can't get to the gym every single day. Getting daily cardio at home has been well worth the money for me.

If the expense bothers you, figure out the monthly cost over the lifespan of the rowing machine. Bet it isn't much.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Retch The Grate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View
Posts: 252
I love the Concept 2, sounds neat that they have a model with a small footprint. Now of coure you'll have to row more to make up for all the walking you are eliminate from your day.
__________________
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
I hear you on the hassle of going to the gym. If I had more dedicated space, I would give up my gym membership and do it all at home, but fortunately its only 10 minutes from my house and is reasonably priced.

I think the Concept II rowers are awesome exercise products and would like to own one myself. Unfortunately my gym does not have one, so have considered ordering one, except DW and I are trying to de-clutter our lives right now in anticipation of downsizing within the next year.

If you are missing the weights you might want to consider some adjustable dumbells, since they don't take up much space. I have a set of Ironmaster's which go up to 75lbs. This is a very good product and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting DBs. You can do so many exercises and really get a great workout from them. Take a look here: Ironmaster - Adjustable dumbbells, dumbbell exercises, dumbbell workout, home gym, weightlifting equipment, fitness equipment

Like you, I have found my best physical asset remains my legs. Used to be a sprinter back in the day and sand lot running back. As to the rest of me not nearly as good, especially the cardio part.

Hope you enjoy and stick with it!
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: anywhere usa
Posts: 246
Sounds like a fun new toy!

You might be a good candidate for a kettlebell to replace the weights. Small foot print and challenging. Not sure where your fitness levels are at, but it can accomodate all ages. There are even products targeted for the majority here:

__________________
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
home gym equipment
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
home gym equipment

Your description of the Concept 2 Dynamic is intriguing. I have been considering purchasing a concept 2 for some time. You indicate that you have been on both the model D and now the Dynamic. In stating that you like the Dynamic even more than the model D, what are the differences that you find favorable. The web site of Concept 2 does not go into any great depth in describing the differences. Apparently there are not outlets near me that have a Dynamic on hand for observation. On the dynamic your legs push forward, rather than having the seat slide backwards. They say that it is more realistically like being on the water. What is your sense of the difference between both having your legs push forward and having the seat slide backwards? What is the effect on your workout? I would appreciate your elaborating on the dynamic.

It appears that you are getting a great benefit out of being able to exercise at home. Thanks for your input.
__________________
blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,875
Ha, how difficult was it to set up the machine? Was there a charge for setting it up, or does it come in one piece, ready to go?

Something that has turned us off all the home gyms, Bowflex, etc. is the $300 - $500 charge for someone to set up the contraption in one's home. We may move to another state after I retire, so there's another huge charge to take the machine apart, then set it up in a new home in some other state.

P.S. When you do go to the gym, why not carry a sandwich? I can go all morning on 2 PBJ's on whole wheat



Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
tuckeverlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 42
I believe the C2 Rowers are relatively lightweight, portable and easy to set up, despite their sizable footprint. I am planning to get one soon and have spent considerable time reading reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

I too would be interested in hearing more about the Dynamic from haha. I am unable to walk much due to problematic knees, and have read the rower is easy on the knees. The other component of my planned fitness regime is dumbbells which I already have and use.

Great thread, thanks!
__________________
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckeverlasting View Post
I believe the C2 Rowers are relatively lightweight, portable and easy to set up, despite their sizable footprint. I am planning to get one soon and have spent considerable time reading reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

I too would be interested in hearing more about the Dynamic from haha. I am unable to walk much due to problematic knees, and have read the rower is easy on the knees. The other component of my planned fitness regime is dumbbells which I already have and use.

Great thread, thanks!
Have you used a C2 rower in a gym yet? You should definitely try that before making a purchase. I'd recommend doing it for 5-10 sessions. Though there's no weight on your knees, they do get used quite a bit in rowing, so you'll need to see how it feels for you (you may need to modify your stroke so you don't bend your knees quite so much, etc). I don't have problem knees (yet), but I would guess I ask about the same amount from them on the rower as when using the elliptical trainer. In addition, form is important (to protect your back) so a few sessions with a trainer who knows his/her stuff will be money well spent.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Something that has turned us off all the home gyms, Bowflex, etc. is the $300 - $500 charge for someone to set up the contraption in one's home. We may move to another state after I retire, so there's another huge charge to take the machine apart, then set it up in a new home in some other state.
I bought a used Bowflex several years ago from a couple who bought it new and ended up not using it. They had it for maybe four months and I bought it at half price. Was very easy to setup. I use it every morning and like the ease of use.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Something that has turned us off all the home gyms, Bowflex, etc. is the $300 - $500 charge for someone to set up the contraption in one's home. We may move to another state after I retire, so there's another huge charge to take the machine apart, then set it up in a new home in some other state.
This must be regional. I recently thought of buying a home gym with weights and pulleys and so on for strength training (haven't done it yet). Dick's Sporting Goods told me that it would cost $125 for delivery/setup. Due to the cost, I decided that if/when I buy this home gym, I will put it together myself.

I ordered my exercycle from Amazon and we put that together ourselves in about an hour and a half back in January. So this provided me with some practice.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado
tuckeverlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Have you used a C2 rower in a gym yet? You should definitely try that before making a purchase. I'd recommend doing it for 5-10 sessions. Though there's no weight on your knees, they do get used quite a bit in rowing, so you'll need to see how it feels for you (you may need to modify your stroke so you don't bend your knees quite so much, etc). I don't have problem knees (yet), but I would guess I ask about the same amount from them on the rower as when using the elliptical trainer. In addition, form is important (to protect your back) so a few sessions with a trainer who knows his/her stuff will be money well spent.
Thanks samclem, that is a great suggestion! My thought was that I could strengthen the leg muscles on the rower without having to actually put all my body weight onto my knees. I have no problem on a stationary bike although not using one presently.

I need to check more into this and will spend some time on the forums at the C2 website. Trying out the rower at a gym and getting pointers on form would be a big help--thanks.
__________________
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
Your description of the Concept 2 Dynamic is intriguing. I have been considering purchasing a concept 2 for some time. You indicate that you have been on both the model D and now the Dynamic. In stating that you like the Dynamic even more than the model D, what are the differences that you find favorable. The web site of Concept 2 does not go into any great depth in describing the differences. Apparently there are not outlets near me that have a Dynamic on hand for observation. On the dynamic your legs push forward, rather than having the seat slide backwards. They say that it is more realistically like being on the water. What is your sense of the difference between both having your legs push forward and having the seat slide backwards? What is the effect on your workout? I would appreciate your elaborating on the dynamic.

It appears that you are getting a great benefit out of being able to exercise at home. Thanks for your input.
When I think this over, I am not sure it makes any real difference. I do notice that my easy cruising cadence on the Dynamic is a bit higher than on the D (like 26-28 rather than 24-25). As I remember my speed at an easy pace was perhaps a little higher than on the D.

Other than the higher price, I would say the main question about the Dynamic is will it be as robust as the D? One small plus is that the Dynamic places the fan just behind and to the L side of the rower. So you get a little breeze as you row.

And you are right, there is much more flexibility when you can row at home.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckeverlasting View Post
I need to check more into this and will spend some time on the forums at the C2 website. Trying out the rower at a gym and getting pointers on form would be a big help--thanks.
Definitely use one at a gym; I have been using them on and off for years. They are not popular usually, even when the gym is full few people get on the C2 unless a trainer brings someone over. I like them very much and always have. They lend themselves easily to intervals, as well as slower steady rowing.

Re: form- in general you can get a better idea of form from the excellent video on the C2 site than from a typical personal trainer, although if you can get a few sessions with a crew coach or an on the water rower it should be very helpful.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ha, how difficult was it to set up the machine? Was there a charge for setting it up, or does it come in one piece, ready to go?

Amethyst
Amethyst, the model D comes in 2 pieces, but the assembly is very easy. I helped my son assemble his a few years ago and it was very straightforward.

The Dynamic is a one piece model, but I have not yet received it to know how hard or easy assembly is. I think it should be easy, one difference is that the cable needs to be routed around through a pulley shuttle rather than the straight shot of the chain. But the chain comes installed on the D, and I would guess that the cable on the Dynamic does too(cable is used rather than the chain on the D).

The phone people at C2 as well as the guy at the Pocock Center stressed that the Dynamic may have a bit steeper learning curve than the D, for those who have not rowed on the water.

Model D is quite long you know, 8' when both pieces are joined. There is a video showing the quick takedown for more compact storage. I would guess that if room space is not an issue, and you have no plans to learn to row in a shell, the D would be best. Really, the huge majority of rowers have been training on the D and its predecessors for many years. It may be that the Dynamic was created more to answer a marketing challenge than for any real training advantage.

Concept2: Model D Assembly

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
When I think this over, I am not sure it makes any real difference. I do notice that my easy cruising cadence on the Dynamic is a bit higher than on the D (like 26-28 rather than 24-25). As I remember my speed at an easy pace was perhaps a little higher than on the D.
Ha,
With the "regular" D model, to "reset" at the end of the stroke you have to use your legs to pull your body back to the starting position. There's not much resistance (because of the bearings under the seat), but accelerating your body from a standstill provides some exercise for the hamstrings. Do you miss this with the Dynamic?
The web site indicates the Dynamic better simulates real rowing, but that the technical requirements might lead some folks to prefer the D and E models for use as exercise machines.
I know I don't like the NordicTrack ski machine because it requires more coordination and finesse than I want to devote to just working out.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ha,
With the "regular" D model, to "reset" at the end of the stroke you have to use your legs to pull your body back to the starting position. There's not much resistance (because of the bearings under the seat), but accelerating your body from a standstill provides some exercise for the hamstrings. Do you miss this with the Dynamic?
The web site indicates the Dynamic better simulates real rowing, but that the technical requirements might lead some folks to prefer the D and E models for use as exercise machines.
I know I don't like the NordicTrack ski machine because it requires more coordination and finesse than I want to devote to just working out.
Samclem, I can't really comment on that. I know how to row sweeps, so I really didn't notice any technical requirement.

Neither machine seems to provide much hamstring exercise, though I would say that more hamstring work comes at the early part of the leg drive, just after the catch, than on the recovery. When I was young and rowed competitively, my quads were huge (relative to the rest of my body) but I don't remember anything about my hamstrings.

Once you get into shape for rowing (which as I mentioned above I am not quite yet), the only thing I remember noticing is being winded. At least in my experience, rowing in the gym I never got tired muscles the way legs can get tired on exercycles. But you can sure get out of breath big-time. My shoulders get tired, but I expect that to pass pretty quickly as I get back into the groove, as my upper body hasn't been getting much recent work until I started up rowing.

One other thing I might mention is that you can't read on a rower, and I don't like to watch TV while using one either. And compared to a good motorized tradmill, you have to supply your own motivation. With a treadmill or stairmaster you can set your routine and either keep up or get thrown off. With the C2 you have to come up with the motivation and the rhythm yourself.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado
tuckeverlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Definitely use one at a gym; I have been using them on and off for years. They are not popular usually, even when the gym is full few people get on the C2 unless a trainer brings someone over. I like them very much and always have. They lend themselves easily to intervals, as well as slower steady rowing.

Re: form- in general you can get a better idea of form from the excellent video on the C2 site than from a typical personal trainer, although if you can get a few sessions with a crew coach or an on the water rower it should be very helpful.

Ha
Thanks again for the information. Good to know the form video on the C2 site (which I have viewed) is recommended. Seems like the tried and true Model D would be the way to go.
__________________
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckeverlasting View Post
Thanks again for the information. Good to know the form video on the C2 site (which I have viewed) is recommended. Seems like the tried and true Model D would be the way to go.
Here are some more videos with this same woman, Caryn Davies.

Concept2: Technique Videos


She is an Olympic rower, and shows really excellent technique. The video called "intensity" is particularly helpful, once you have your basic technique down.

If you buy a machine, a very good plan plan would be to have a friend or your wife take several videos of you rowing at an unrushed pace, and compare to Caryn's technique.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 282
I love concept2, I lucked into a find on Craigslist-- a woman had half her model D lost in a move, so she was selling just the top half for $100. I was able to order the missing rail and seat from Concept2 and between the two purchases I now have a whole rower for a total of $350. The company is glad to support older models (even back to model B) with parts and instructions and advice, I have never in my life experienced such helpful customer service!

My only problem is everytime I went for a max effort 500m or 1000m, I end up suffering an asthma attack that lasts a day and a half, I can't tell if it's just the effort or that maybe the fan kicks up a lot of dust in my face, but the results are not fun.
__________________

__________________
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some old old farm equipment shots mathjak107 Other topics 5 11-26-2010 12:58 PM
Exercise Equipment JOHNNIE36 Other topics 18 05-21-2009 06:46 PM
Home Gym $1050 Total dex Health and Early Retirement 15 01-29-2009 07:13 AM
Any advice on exercise equipment Wilbury Other topics 26 04-13-2008 09:48 AM
voip equipment maddythebeagle Other topics 7 08-15-2005 12:20 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.