Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You would think hot flashes happen to women who aren't healthy, but not true. One of the healthiest women I ever knew had the worst hot flashes I ever heard about accompanied with crying jags and all sorts of horrible mood swings. It is really rough on these women. Thank heaven it only lasts usually 1-3 years I hear.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Been there, done that, and all done now. pretty much. At about 49 I started them. Black Cohosh and progesterone cream helped for about 2 years, then that made them worse - quit using it and now I mostly never get any.

There's a lot of variation in who does or doesn't get them.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It is what it is and varies among women.

When it is the worst for me I drink a glass of icy cold water, which helps. Now that I am 55 they are about gone.

Acupuncture is theoretically bogus and suspect as a help for anything except maybe pain. Unless you believe it and then you may get some placebo effect. Even the help for pain may very well be placebo. (Sorry, I have this thing about acupuncture, chiropractic and some other alternative therapies).

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #24

I am on hormone therapy for prostate cancer. It causes hot flashes, so I can sympathize with the women here. When I first heard about hot flashes, I assumed that it was a neurological thing: that the sufferer felt hot, but there wasn't any real heat transfer taking place.

Well, that proved to be a crock. I get hot flashes so intense that my glasses fog up. There is a huge transfer of heat from the body core to the surface.

I agree that the only thing to do is to cool down. I lie down on a tile floor if possible.

Mine, at least, are not random. I get one every night when dropping off to sleep. It jolts me to a wide awake state and delays sleep for 1/2 hour or so.

Hormone therapy like I take suppresses testosterone. Isn't it odd that sex hormones for both men and women are linked to the body temperature regulation system?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #25

Yeah the problem is you drop off to sleep, have a hot flash and kick off the covers. Fall back to sleep then wake up because you are cold. It's a never ending cycle.

I would love to have a hammock bed suspended over a swimming pool. When I have a hot flash I could lower myself in the water to cool down.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #26

I am finished with menopause but still occasionally get mild hot flashes. Fans are great, ceiling or otherwise, as are natural fabric clothing and sleepwear. I find that my flashes are worse if I don't get fresh air and exercise or drink enough water. Sugary things are also a trigger for me as are caffeine and alcohol(not that I am so that I avoid these things, especially the latter two, entirely).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Been there, done that, and all done now. pretty much. At about 49 I started them. Black Cohosh and progesterone cream helped for about 2 years, then that made them worse - quit using it and now I mostly never get any.

There's a lot of variation in who does or doesn't get them.
I had some hot flashes last fall, and black cohosh seemed to help. They haven't come back since then, but I don't know if that's from the black cohosh or because I had the [potentially TMI] which I'm using to treat my fibroids replaced last fall. Then again, maybe they did. ISTM I have insomnia more frequently now than I did a few years ago...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HRT is not an option for me...my Mom had breast cancer.
So I'm just gonna have to tuff it out with natural cooling methods. My female doctor is very up on the latest, so if there is something out there, she will tell me about it. We've already discussed the options for down the road if my symptoms get unbearable.
No grouchy mood swings, but some cyclic sadness (other factors at play).
I have a personal oddball theory that if a person has a naturally pleasant personality, and really tries not to be grouchy, it may make a slight difference when the ol' hormones kick in.
Feel free to shoot me down on this one.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I am on hormone therapy for prostate cancer. It causes hot flashes, so I can sympathize with the women here. When I first heard about hot flashes, I assumed that it was a neurological thing: that the sufferer felt hot, but there wasn't any real heat transfer taking place.

Well, that proved to be a crock. I get hot flashes so intense that my glasses fog up. There is a huge transfer of heat from the body core to the surface.

I agree that the only thing to do is to cool down. I lie down on a tile floor if possible.

Mine, at least, are not random. I get one every night when dropping off to sleep. It jolts me to a wide awake state and delays sleep for 1/2 hour or so.

Hormone therapy like I take suppresses testosterone. Isn't it odd that sex hormones for both men and women are linked to the body temperature regulation system?
Oh...I am so sorry you're having to deal with cancer.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #30

I agree. Take care of yourself, IndependentlyPoor! I'm sure all are rooting for you here!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was thrown into menopause at age 47 from the Chemo due to Breast Cancer. Am now 57 and still have hot flashes. Intensity and Frequency have lessend over the 10 years. Stressful situations (interviews, public speaking) and alcohol were the worst to bring one on. Never used HRT or anything that mimics estrogen such as Black Cohash because of the Breast Cancer. I keep the house almost cold at night with ceiling fan and AC in warm months. I am in humid Tallahassee, Florida. It's a pain in the....hope goes away someday completely.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started the hot flashes at age 52. I'm 57 and still have them. They are worse during the summer. And yes I've walked through snow barefoot and could not feel the cold. I don't take anything for it. My mother is 85 and says that she still has them and her mother always had them.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Started the hot flashes at age 52. I'm 57 and still have them. They are worse during the summer. And yes I've walked through snow barefoot and could not feel the cold. I don't take anything for it. My mother is 85 and says that she still has them and her mother always had them.
Well I can offer you hope ! I started with them in early 40's . I took HRT for 12 years and now in my early 60's I am completely hot flash free .
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I get hot flashes so intense that my glasses fog up. There is a huge transfer of heat from the body core to the surface.
Hey, welcome to the club IP!
Some of us call them Tropical Moments! (at least in Canada)
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #35

I menopause at 40. When I had my first hot flush, I thought I was going to faint. I did not have HRT or equivalent. I just lived with it and it was not that bad. Worst times are at night when I wake up in a pool of sweat. So, I learn to wear thin layers of night shirts and only cotton material. For blankets, I also cover in layers during winter. So, what happens is when I get that hot flush, I flap off a blanket, and if it get worst, I flap of a blouse. When it gets cold again, I slip it on again. The bright side is that the flushes are not permanent. They normally go off even without HRT or the like.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #36

Oh well, at least I am not alone in the hot flush club. However, I was hoping that someone would be able to mention something that was the magic cure besides HRT. Think I will sweat it out for a while, hopefully with summer coming on, it won't be such a pain at night when I kick the covers off. Maybe by some miracle they will improve on their own.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is what it is and varies among women.

When it is the worst for me I drink a glass of icy cold water, which helps. Now that I am 55 they are about gone.

Acupuncture is theoretically bogus and suspect as a help for anything except maybe pain. Unless you believe it and then you may get some placebo effect. Even the help for pain may very well be placebo. (Sorry, I have this thing about acupuncture, chiropractic and some other alternative therapies).
Hot flashes are one of those conditions/events for which there is much in the way of 'old wives tales' and weird bogus treatments because (as you said) it varies so much.

Personally, I had several months of occasional mild hot flashes; same pattern as my mother.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately my mother passed away before we could discuss her menopause experience. I was only 35 when she passed. My cousin says it was no big deal for her - so I'm hoping!!!

Audrey
Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #39

Dangermouse, I forgot to mention something which really works for me. When I found out I was menopausing, I refused HRT and the doctor suggested I take the following vitamins daily - Calcium and D3, evening primrose oil and Vitamin E. I have taken that for 10 years and I have no big inconveniences with menopause. The hot flush is not important to me, what is more important is to protect myself from loss of bone density, dryness and heart conditions - all of which are the bad results of menopause. In addition to the vitamins, exercise regularly. There's no miracle cure, you have to learn to live with each phase of your life and still enjoy it. All the best.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Well, I'm totally new to this board and seem to be older than all the posters (70) so having said that, I have been having hot flashes for about 20 years. The first 5 were the worst.
Now, being of this age, and still having the dreaded flashes, I take hrt at the lowest dose in pill form three times a week. If I decrease that, then I can't sleep which makes me a bull the next day, so I take them.
I also take vitamin D which I consider my happy pill as I haven't been much of a bitch since taking both these little pills.