How can I find a geriatric physician for relative?

toofrugalformycat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I didn't find it.
Suddenly (like in the next week or so) it's my job to find a good board-certified geriatric physician for an elderly relative in a different state. This person is in a medigap plan.
Is there a web site of board certified geriatricians (or whatever you call them) that I can search by city?
I looked at what I think is the web site for the medigap plan and it isn't helpful - maybe I'll have to phone them to see who is in the plan. But I'd like to have a list of names of doctors before I phone them.
I'm feeling kind of panicky I guess.:confused:

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I didn't find it.
Suddenly (like in the next week or so) it's my job to find a good board-certified geriatric physician for an elderly relative in a different state. This person is in a medigap plan.
Is there a web site of board certified geriatricians (or whatever you call them) that I can search by city?
I looked at what I think is the web site for the medigap plan and it isn't helpful - maybe I'll have to phone them to see who is in the plan. But I'd like to have a list of names of doctors before I phone them.
I'm feeling kind of panicky I guess.:confused:
I had this situation a couple months ago. I talked with a geriatric care services company here on Oahu who researched the services in my father's town three time zones away. They gave me a couple names and I followed up by phone.

Depending on the size of your relative's town and their options, it's worth shopping around for someone that they can trust... which means you may be doing this several times.

You could contact the American Geriatrics Society
The American Geriatrics Society - Home Page
and you could look up the physicians' licencing body for your State. Many of them have searchable databases of physicians. If not, you could call them and ask for a list of geriatricians in the area.

Thank you, Nords and Meadbh. It's hard to be objective and rational when emotions are involved. I will follow up both suggestions.
I feel enough better today that, looking at my post, I think I asked how to find an elderly doctor rather than how to find a doctor for the elderly, and I find it funny.
Keep laughing, I guess.

You may want to consider asking your own doctor or his/her staff for guidance. Another option would be contacting hospitals/nursing homes in the area where your relative lives.

Thank you, Nords and Meadbh. It's hard to be objective and rational when emotions are involved. I will follow up both suggestions.
I feel enough better today that, looking at my post, I think I asked how to find an elderly doctor rather than how to find a doctor for the elderly, and I find it funny.
Keep laughing, I guess.

Well, even doctors for the elderly do get older!
Me, I'm a baby doctor. I'm getting further away from my patients all the time!

Back
Top Bottom