Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To paint baseboards, I lie on the floor (on the dropcloth of course!)

As a student, I always used to spread my books and papers on the floor and lie down in the middle of them. Part of it was nearsightedness...I liked being close as possible to what I was reading and writing. Using a computer changed that, and I'm not sure for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If I'm up and down or picking something up that's heavy, sure the squat is the way to go. But if my head needs to be near the ground then I'll hang like the picture. Like now I'm doing some repainting - doing a lot of cutting in around baseboards.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Usually when I bend over I am assisted by the gubmint, an employer, etc.
I thought this might be a BOHICA question!

I had to try it to see what I actually do. I spread my feet further apart and bend some at the knees, some at the waist. If picking up something heavy, it would be more at the knees, less at the waist.

After a long race, I can barely bend over. If I drop something, I first look around to see if anyone is around to pick it up for me. If I have someone crewing/helping me in the race, I assure them that we'll never bump heads because I'm not even going to try.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

To pick something up light I'm lie the picture. If something heavy I lift with my knees and bend at knees.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
To pick something up light I'm like the picture. If something heavy I lift with my knees and bend at knees.
Same here.
SunBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with many who have posted that if I need to pick something significant up, I bend my knees.

For many tasks (like removing an individual, easy-to-pull weed or picking up something light) I bend from the waist, keeping my legs straight and enjoy the resulting stretch.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Thats funny. I bend from the waist to help stretch out my lower back, particularly before beginning athletic endeavors.
Stretching is probably fine, but the OP talked about for lifting.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #27

I may be over thinking it, but I've had my back go out and the worst time was about 5 weeks ago. IMO, if you can't touch your toes and you're not warmed up, I'd say don't push yourself to the limit to reach the ground with straight legs whether you're lifting something or not. If it's not a challenging stretch for you and you're just picking up something the weight of a newspaper and your back is good, then it's OK to keep your legs straight. If there's even the slightest pain in your back or you did something that's hard on your back within the last 24 hours (or 48 if it was particularly hard), then bend your knees.

I still feel a slight pain in my back when I've been laying in bed for a while and try to schooch over. I'm extra careful about bending for now even with no pain.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #28

During my coal mining days, there were rare times when I had to walk bent over, crawl, or worse for hours. While at 6' 5", it was problematic at times, I do get back spasms occasionally. While I can pick up a penny off the floor, I never could put my palms to the floor, ever. My last back xray, the doc was extremely surprised, knowing my w*rk history, that all my disc spacing is great, and my back looks 30 years younger than my age.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #29

After back issues, none of the above, I was told to only use golfers stance (ie how many people pick up golf balls using their club).
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #30

When I do trash pickup for an hour+ at a time, I keep my back straight and do a "lunge", stepping forward with one foot and making a right angle with that knee, then letting the trailing leg go far back. This gets my hand pretty close to the ground without bending my back. If I squat every time, my quads will be all but useless in a day or two, and I'm in pretty good shape. When lifting anything substantial, I'll squat, get it as close to my body as I can, get my spine vertical, then stand up. This saved my back when carrying/lifting 500+ lb patients back in the day. Usually this one patient would require 4 people to lift, but one time another EMT didn't want to wait, and just the two of us were able to load him in the ambulance ourselves. I was young, dumb, and cocky, though, I wouldn't try that again!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #31

I bend over like the OP's attached pic.
I was thinking... for those who can put their palms flat on the floor without bending at their knees at all, that should be easy for someone with stumpy legs or gorilla arms

I wonder if the ability is more common in females than males.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I was thinking... for those who can put their palms flat on the floor without bending at their knees at all, that should be easy for someone with stumpy legs or gorilla arms

I thought females had longer legs and that birthin' hips would get in the way but I guess not. I see old ladies bending like that all the time.

For a picture for this thread I was looking for a video that I saw a few days ago of the only person left in some village, an old lady who bent over like that, but I couldn't find it. The one I used is better because it shows 2 out of 2 people bending like that.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
To pick something up light I'm like the picture. If something heavy I lift with my knees and bend at knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBlueSky View Post
Same here.
+2
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

If it’s small, I pick it up with my toes when barefoot. DW says Ima gross monkey man. If it’s big, bend at the knees since 4 bottom discs are long since degenerated. If it’s heavy I get someone else to help, e.g. her Ampeg SVT head.
ClayMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have both!!

Quote:
Hmm, interesting question! Possibly females find bending at the hip to be easier than it is for guys, for anatomical or maybe hormonal reasons.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Can someone tell me why you do not squat down? Is it because it's hard to squat down?

I've noticed recently that older people cannot or won't squat down when they play volleyball. It's kind of depressing when I see that, thinking I may turn into them in a few years.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 PM   #37

Like others here, I tend to bend over at the waist to pick up lighter items, and squat to lift heavier items. Unfortunately, over the last couple years my knees have really started to hurt when kneeling or squatting. I really rely on my arms now to help get back up from a kneeling position.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
It's kind of depressing when I see that, thinking I may turn into them in a few years.
As James McNeill Whistler apparently said to Oscar Wilde, "You will, Oscar, you will".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #39
gone traveling

When lifting heavy objects I bend at my hips and knees and get into a squat position. For light things, bending at the waist is not a problem. Of course everyone has their own physical constraints so YMMV.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I bend over just like the people in the picture. I can still put my hands flat on the ground with straight legs.
I used to do that until they had to fuse my lower back. Now I bend my legs.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote