Join Early Retirement Today

How do your shoes wear?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How do your shoes wear?

I bought a pair of pricey (deeply discounted) slide on brown ‘sneaker like’ shoes about 3 or 4 years ago. The last 6 months I had been wearing them regularly - on my 45 minute walks up and down the hills but as soon as the weather permitted I switched to pair of sneakers. The shoes seem to be bothering the bottom of my feet? The thing is they don’t appear worn. I have extra wide feet so buying shoes is a little bit more of a challenge.

Do you have shoes where the cushioning failed but the body of the shoe appears fine? Funny but when DS sneakers are worn they look they have been dragged behind the car on a rope for several miles.

Bought a couple of new pairs.. its been ages since I bought shoes. I googled it: (how often should you change your sneakers)

<b>If you are walking 30 minutes a day, or an average of three to four hours a week, replace your shoes every six months. If you are walking 60 minutes a day or an average of seven hours a week, replace your shoes every three months. Plan on replacing your fitness walking shoes every three to six months, or by 500 miles.</b>

Is it Baloney?
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do a lot of walking and hiking. From the appearance of my shoes after many years of use they seem good but like you said, they seem to break down inside and start to not feel good. I generally buy cheaper hiking or slip on shoes and seem to last 2 or 3 years then I buy new.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

I’m no expert but unless you’re running, I would think you would do fine by getting some new insoles frequently instead of an entire new shoe. I’m sure the rest of the shoe is wearing, but I can’t imagine you need a new pair every 6 months.

As for getting wide shoes, try Zappos and try Brooks shoes. I love mine and they come in extra wide.

https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addi...4346/color/222
Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

No baloney. I get a new pair of running shoes every 300 to 500 miles. That’s about how long the cushion lasts for me. I’ll continue to wear the old ones around the yard, errands, workshop until they start to fall apart. Orthotics seem to give a little extra cushion.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No baloney. I get a new pair of running shoes every 300 to 500 miles. That’s about how long the cushion lasts for me. I’ll continue to wear the old ones around the yard, errands, workshop until they start to fall apart. Orthotics seem to give a little extra cushion.

I get about the same amount of use as Ronstar. I don't run, but I hike a lot. I need to change out my shoes every 300 to 500 miles. It seems like the inner support isn't as good after that, and my feet start to hurt when walking. Those shoes then get demoted to yard work or other duty.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have wide feet as well. Few month ago I was stupid and went out to the mailbox in bare feet. Got a nasty puncture wound on the ball of my foot. So, I ended up at the podiatrist. He advised me to get Dr. Scholl's orthotics from Walmart because I put to much weight on the ball of my foot. He said to put it on top of the insole in my New Balance shoes. I asked him how long should you go with the insoles and the orthotic. His comment was to change out the insoles whenever the cushion is noticeably worn down in the ball of the foot and the orthotic each year. He said he could have made for me a custom orthotic that would last indefinitely but that would be $500. The Scholl's at Walmart are about $40. This has made a big difference in foot comfort for me.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Consider Altra brand shoes for walking. Zero drop. Barefoot style.

Wide/foot shaped toe bed.

The built in heel in most all shoes weakens your calves, Achillis and feet. I don't know why all shoes have a 8 to 12mm heel. You don't use your hamstrings, you land on your heel.

Zero drop doesn't mean no cushion. Many of the Altra models have good cushioning. Once your calves lengthen and strengthen up, your posture (hips forward) and technique for walking running improves. You start using your hamstrings again.

The wide footbed allows your toes to spread out, giving a more stable platform and stops your toes from being squished together.

For most, your knees, feet, calves, legs will never feel better if you transition to zero drop Altra shoes. Other brands are Lems, Xero, VivoFeet.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I walk a lot and replace my shoes at least once a year. I am always amazed as to how much better the new shoes feel in comparison to the old. Hip and knee pain goes away with the new shoes. There is a lot of compression that takes place that isn't readily apparent.
I have thrown out a lot of shoes that look good, but obviously aren't good for my feet and hips.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No wonder mine feel bad. I'm going to switch them out, thanks.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’m no expert but unless you’re running, I would think you would do fine by getting some new insoles frequently instead of an entire new shoe. I’m sure the rest of the shoe is wearing, but I can’t imagine you need a new pair every 6 months.

As for getting wide shoes, try Zappos and try Brooks shoes. I love mine and they come in extra wide.

https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addi...4346/color/222
+1

In my case I also change part of the soles if the shoe allows it. The leather of my shoes tends to look new for ages, so I prefer to pay the equivalent to 10-20$/year to change part of the soles/insoles than 70-100$/year in shoes.

I guess each case is different, and there are many variables (such as how many miles does one walk, which environment conditions do they have to sustain, the materials of the shoe, if they allow to be repaired...). In my case I'm quite tall, so I usually have to buy outside my country which impacts costs and availability, so it is more interesting to go for that other approach.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Costco sells men's running/walking shoes for about $20, I really like them and at that price can replace them when I feel like it.

Otherwise I go for new insoles before replacing a shoe, if the inside is worn.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

So, then what exactly ARE your top priorities? Worth thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I get about the same amount of use as Ronstar. I don't run, but I hike a lot. I need to change out my shoes every 300 to 500 miles. It seems like the inner support isn't as good after that, and my feet start to hurt when walking. Those shoes then get demoted to yard work or other duty.
I buy new shoes as soon as I detect any changes in the cushioning or comfort. If I am walking every day for exercise (which I am not presently doing), then I also buy new shoes every few months whether or not I detect any problems with them. When I get new shoes, like jimbee I demote the old shoes to other usage and do not wear them all day long any more.

rayinpenn, now that you are retired it's time for you to think about what is really important to you in your life. If there is any one purchase that is more than worth the money to me, it's new shoes!! After a bad bout with plantar fasciitis back in 2001 that was probably worse than the tortures of the Inquisition back in the Middle Ages, I decided that comfortable feet are a HUGE priority for me. Actually IMO comfortable feet should be a top priority for anybody with enough $$ to even be thinking about retiring, ever. Seriously, how can anybody enjoy life or be happy when their feet are hurting so much. Ugh.

Some of my top priorities in retired life are
1. Good, comfortable, high quality (usually expensive) footwear,
2. Good (healthy, delicious) food, and
3. Adequate health care and dentistry as needed
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #13

I don't buy shoes often as mine don't seem to wear much, despite a lot of walking. I've been using Merrill walking shoes and swear by them. I've walked all over Europe in the pair I currently have on my feet: they are at least 10 years old and I wear them almost every day. They are comfortably worn but not at all falling apart. Really, an excellent buy!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I don't buy shoes often as mine don't seem to wear much, despite a lot of walking. I've been using Merrill walking shoes and swear by them. I've walked all over Europe in the pair I currently have on my feet: they are at least 10 years old and I wear them almost every day. They are comfortably worn but not at all falling apart. Really, an excellent buy!
Merrill's are supposed to be absolutely wonderful shoes!! I need to try a pair.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I swear by Merrill hiking shoes and boots. I have 2 pair of hiking shoes, maybe 5 and 15 years old. And boots are about 10 years old. All showing a little wear, but holding up very well considering the usage they get. Very comfortable, even with orthotics in them.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
I'm in this same camp as a runner. I've got lots of yard work/driveway sealing shoes
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Bought a couple of new pairs.. its been ages since I bought shoes. I googled it: (how often should you change your sneakers)

<b>If you are walking 30 minutes a day, or an average of three to four hours a week, replace your shoes every six months. If you are walking 60 minutes a day or an average of seven hours a week, replace your shoes every three months. Plan on replacing your fitness walking shoes every three to six months, or by 500 miles.</b>

Is it Baloney?

I think that formula is written by the sneaker manufacturers.

Sneakers and shoes do breakdown internally, but it depends on so many factors - the surface you're walking/running on, your gait, weight, length or each walk, time between walks. I can tell when I need new running shoes because I get a particular ache in my knee. I've been running for decades, so I know what to pay attention to. The soles & uppers of my sneakers usually look pretty good except for wear in a couple of spots on the sole - an artifact of my gait.

If your shoes don't feel good when you walk - try a new iinsole. If that doesn't work, you should buy a new pair. Pay attention to the kind of discomfort so you can tell when its time to replace them in the future.

Feet are delicate, complicated and oh so essential - you should take good care of them.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:

Sadly, the arch support for merrill shoes isn't in the right position for my feet, so they don't work for me.

Everyone's feet are different and I'm grateful that there are quite a few good shoe manufacturers.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I go through a pair of Merrell's each year as I am walking 10,000 - 15,000 steps per day (90% of the time), a lot of it on paved walkways. Great shoes, but I wear the soles out and that is expected. But the uppers live on and do yard work duty.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Consider Altra brand shoes for walking. Zero drop. Barefoot style.

Wide/foot shaped toe bed.

The built in heel in most all shoes weakens your calves, Achillis and feet. I don't know why all shoes have a 8 to 12mm heel. You don't use your hamstrings, you land on your heel.

Zero drop doesn't mean no cushion. Many of the Altra models have good cushioning. Once your calves lengthen and strengthen up, your posture (hips forward) and technique for walking running improves. You start using your hamstrings again.

The wide footbed allows your toes to spread out, giving a more stable platform and stops your toes from being squished together.

For most, your knees, feet, calves, legs will never feel better if you transition to zero drop Altra shoes. Other brands are Lems, Xero, VivoFeet.

This. Altra zero drop with the wide toe box have been great for me. Specifically, Altra Lone Peaks. When hiking the PCT, I originally started with Merrill Moab Ventilators. But after the first 300 miles I suffered from awful blisters. Switched to the Altra Lone Peaks and they were heaven. No more blisters for me.

They aren’t necessarily pretty. But they are wonderful on the feet if you’re walking lots of miles.

Muir