Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How Dr. House solved my medical mystery
Old 08-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
How Dr. House solved my medical mystery

I was viewing an old episode of House last night and solved a medical cureosity that I have had since childhood. When I was a kid and was sick with a feaver I used to "hallusinate" and view things around me as being very small~a chair, my Mom, a door etc. If I held my hand up in front of my eyes it looked normal. Looking away it looked small again. Never any pain, never happened as an adult, I always thought as a kid that it was kinda coool.

According to Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) this is called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome and the hallucinations are called Lillapution.

My search is over.

Alice in Wonderland syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I was viewing an old episode of House last night and solved a medical cureosity that I have had since childhood. When I was a kid and was sick with a feaver I used to "hallusinate" and view things around me as being very small~a chair, my Mom, a door etc. If I held my hand up in fromt of my eyes it looked normal. Looking away it looked small again. Never any pain, never happened as an adult, I always thought as a kid that it was kinda coool.

According to Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) this is called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome and the hallucinations are called Lillapution.

My search is over.

Alice in Wonderland syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow - thanks for posting this! I had forgotten about it, but I also experienced AIWS as a child, always in the middle of the night, and always after I felt feverish as well. Happened maybe a few times a year.

Things seemed so distant to me, and it was kind of a weird feeling. At least now I know it's somewhat common, and one of those unexplainable conditions that is usually grown out of. Can't imagine having to experience that during the day and living with that as an adult.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think that would have scared me as a child! Luckily I didn't have it. Glad you finally found out what was going on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had the exact opposite effect when my temperature soared. Everything got big and I was very small. As Pink Floyd sang in "Comfortably Numb,"

"When I was a child, I had a fever/
My hands felt just like two balloons..."

I also saw weird faces in everything - patterns of the rug, wood grain, etc.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I sort of have a vague memory of this from childhood, when having a fever, or maybe just very, very tired and drifting off to sleep. It just seemed disorienting, not too much different than having the room spin a bit when you are feeling nauseous. I've fainted or nearly fainted twice, and you get a tunnel vision, and the room seems to move away from you. Like that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Or it could have been the medicine back in the good old days had codeine in it and y'all were tripping. I miss those days
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It's considered among the perception changes called "migraine aura" that frequently precede a migraine episode. As a kid I had both migraines and this Alice effect, but they never occured together. Oliver Sacks's book, "Migraines" discusses it.

When i experienced it, it was frightening and would take me some time before I realized that I was experiencing it again at which point I would calm down. Very disorienting. I think it always went away after only a few minutes.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote