Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm never happy with my eyesight, especially when doing a lot of reading. I realized lately that part of the problem is little scratches in my polycarbonate lenses. I'm going to get some new ones.

Note also that I'm blind in one eye from a childhood accident, and find that presbyopia is a much bigger bother than being blind in one eye.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Really sorry to hear about the keratoconus, Jeremy. I hope everything works out ok.

I think I'm overdue for a check up, so I should definitely go along soon. I think I'll ask about glaucoma tests and stuff as well while I'm there.
StillYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had cataracts removed at 43, ReStor lens implants mean I rarely have a need for glasses for distance or for reading (as long as there is plenty of light...otherwise I need readers). The problem is the mid-range. Due to the design of the ReStor lens, mid-range is usually problematic. (mid-range means arms length to 6-8 feet...the car's GPS is unreadable, as are price-tags in supermarkets unless I am within 14 inchs of them). So, I keep a pair of cheap readers in the car for the GPS, have a pair of prescription geezer glasses for working on detailed items or in dark places, and I have a pair of Silhouettes to help me see the teleprompter for when I give speeches...otherwise I'm fine. Have the ol' eyeballs thoroughly checked 1x per year.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #44

Like several others on the thread I have had rotten eyesight (nearsighted and astigmatic) from the git-go and got my first pair of glasses when I was in the 2nd grade. I have three siblings with equally bad vision and my mom sometimes says she & my dad put our optometrist's kids through college as well as their own.

I don't wear bifocals. Up until 3 years ago I used to tell people that I had taken a sacred vow not to get them until age 50, because if you have bifocals you have to admit to being middle-aged and I didn't want to do that yet because I plan to live to 100 (or more). I have to confess that I have been cheating for several years by having two pair of glasses with different prescriptions, one for close and the other for distance. The close-up glasses are just right for computer viewing although I can see the screen OK without glasses, and the distance glasses are for driving, movies and the like. For really fine viewing like reading or needlework I don't wear glasses.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Kyounge, you may dislike the idea of bifocals on a stigmatizing basis (excuse the pun :P) but you may find the added convenience of not having to swap between pairs of glasses outweighs such downsides.

To anyone over 60 who wasn't aware already, you can get totally free eye tests on the NHS! Bargain. Even better if you're Scottish it doesn't matter what age you are, it's free to all people (insert stereotype joke here). You can also get tested for glaucoma at the same time, which should be a priority if any close relatives have it. I know my grandfather developed it in his 70s so it's something I'll be getting checked up at my next exam. Amusingly it's called "the sneaky thief of sight" on account of how it creeps up on you without you noticing, but I'm sure it's less amusing if it actually comes to affect you.

If you need any more info I work for the RNIB so I'm sure I could answer/find the solution to most questions!
StillYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm never happy with my eyesight, especially when doing a lot of reading. I realized lately that part of the problem is little scratches in my polycarbonate lenses.
When I order glasses I am usually asked if I want to get plastic lenses due to the weight. I much prefer glass lenses because they don't scratch as easily. I only hope they continue to be available.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillYoung View Post
Kyounge, you may dislike the idea of bifocals on a stigmatizing basis (excuse the pun :P) but you may find the added convenience of not having to swap between pairs of glasses outweighs such downsides.
So far switching is not a bother. I wear one pair all day at work and mostly go without at home. The only time I have a problem is when I need to drive somewhere and don't recall where I left my distance glasses, because without my glasses my vision is so poor it's hard to find them!

Quote:
You can also get tested for glaucoma at the same time, which should be a priority if any close relatives have it. I know my grandfather developed it in his 70s so it's something I'll be getting checked up at my next exam. Amusingly it's called "the sneaky thief of sight" on account of how it creeps up on you without you noticing, but I'm sure it's less amusing if it actually comes to affect you.
I've been monitored for years due to bigtime family history of glaucoma. I hate visual field tests, but better that than go blind.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
A lot of people warned me that my eyes would start going when I turned 40, and sure enough, it started. I still have good distance vision but I have to use +1.50 reading glasses much of the time.
Just had my annual eye exam. No real change.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Just had my exam. Optometrist said that I was getting tired reading probably because I'm holding the book too close. One has a tendency to hold it closer when not seeing well, and that's just making the eyes tired. We'll see.

I'd also prefer glass, but because I'm blind in one eye, I need the extra protection of polycarbonate lenses.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
(snip) I'd also prefer glass, but because I'm blind in one eye, I need the extra protection of polycarbonate lenses.
I used to work in a job that required eye protection at times. Rather than wear clunky safety glasses with non-prescription lenses over my regular glasses, I used to order my prescription lenses in tempered glass. That provided the required protection and I could still see what I was doing. If you like glass lenses better but need protection, maybe that would do the trick for you too.