Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I have had my real deal Temperpedic mattress since the late 90's (probably close to 20 years). I have no indentations on it to this day. Yes, they recommend rotating and or flipping the mattress occasionally. (This reminds me I should do that soon).

I don't know how firm you want it to help your back, but for me the more firm the better. Shortly after buying it I put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood between the mattress and box spring across the center 1/3 (basically above the knees to the middle of my back). I never have back problems. I was sleeping on my GF's bed (also a Tempurpedic) and was having back issues. I put a 3/4 plywood sheet on my side only and the back issues went away.

I don't know how I would have felt if I had paid full price for it (my then wife worked at a store selling them and got it at a huge discount ), but I have never regretted getting it.

PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Love our Tempurpedic! My side will last at least 1/3 longer than her side 'cause I fall asleep on the couch!

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
OP i was in the same position as you, back almost worse after sleeping each night on old spring mattress.

Tempurpedic is now 12+ years old with no sign of wear. Which kind of annoys me as they came out with newer plusher versions but I have no excuse to get one...

When I travel, after about the 3rd night on a hotel mattress I can really tell the difference.

(i got mine thru 1-800 mattress - free shipping ,arrived in 2-3 days, took away the old one in and out)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
place a flat pillow or folded towels under the mattress where the sag is.
POOF! Sag gone
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
WE bought a sleep number bed 8 years ago and it is awesome. It comes with a 20 year guarantee that decreases as the bed ages. My chiro recommended it and said his lasted 20 years. Also if everything aches when you get up you could have a Vitamin D deficiency. I had that problem and now take 5,000 units everyday. If that is your problem you will know really fast -within a few weeks you will feel better.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
So we bought a Serta I comfort 4 years ago. It is similar to tempurpedic but about two thirds the cost. Love it and notice zero indentation.

Never slept better.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
We've had our Duxiana mattress for over 20yrs and I love it. However, I have a Temperpedic neck pillow which they say lasts 5 yrs. I'm on my second pillow. I would think the mattress might have a longer lifespan but I wouldn't plan for more than a decade. What does Temperpedic say? They were upfront about my pillow. Of course, they wanted to sell me another one.

Happy, Wild, and Free
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote