Join Early Retirement Today

How long do Temperpedic mattresses last?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How long do Temperpedic mattresses last?

So we've literally had every other type of mattress, water, air, latex & various innersprings - and I still wake up with my back hurting worse than when I went to bed the night before. I recover during the day, and 'enjoy' a setback every night. I'll spare you the details re: sleep positions, mattress firmness, etc. Trying out a mattress in the store 'for at least 10 minutes' has not helped us at all.

So I guess I might as well throw away more money try a Temperpedic memory foam, just to confirm the real problem is really just that I am old.

Before I do, I thought I'd ask Temperpedic owners here how long they last before the break down to the point of replacement. I have read conflicting reports online, from as quick as 1½ years to much longer - but you never know who's POV or what their agenda (if any) might be.

Frankly I trust this crowd more than the population at large...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Novaform from Costco. About $500
At first, it was very firm, then it got a bit soft. I finally realized that the best way to sleep on it is flat on my back with a memory foam pillow. Normally, I'm a stomach sleeper, but the memory foam mattress causes my middle section to sink too deep as the foam warms up.

But here's the thing; Costco has a very generous return policy. My first Novaform from them, over 7 years ago, started to have a distinct sag in the two spots me and DW laid. I took it back for a full refund since the mattress had a 20 year warranty. Since I still wanted a like-type mattress, they gave me not only my original price refund, but the newer replacement model's price since the old 7 year old mattress was no longer marketed.

If you get your memory foam mattress from Costco and don't like it after a lengthy time period, they will gladly give you full refund of your money.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Trying a Costco version is way less expensive than the Temperpedic. We are over six years on our one up north and 3-4 on the one down here. We liked the older version, which had 9"(?) of base firm foam and a 3"(?) layer of memory foam. Got the newer version from Costco for down south and didn't care for it - after a month had it picked back up and a replacement in the old style sent. The newer style has a layer of waffle foam between the firm and memory foam that made it too soft for us.

Edit - think around $6-700 for a king or thereabout. We figured if it lasted 6 years we were happy. We're going past that and continue to be pleased, as is our cat.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My wife has stomach problems and needs to sleep slightly inverted. Only way to do it is to go to an adjustable bed. I discovered BedInABag.com to have superior memory foam beds--American made BASF foam not sold by anyone else in the industry. Her 11" gel foam (cooler) and a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed sleeps just great. They were $500 cheaper than our local bedding store on the adjustable bed and the mattresses are very fairly priced.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had a Temperpedic for about 7 years now. We like it so much we bought one for our daughter. I honestly believe these will last 20+ years.

One of the keys to the mattress is that it contours to your body, but requires our body heat to do so. Therefore, do no put anything on top other than a sheet.

They are expensive but the longevity makes it worth it IMHO.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We bought one about 15 years ago and it is still fine. No noticeable change.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Our Tempurpedic is about 12 years old. There is a slight depression but it doesn't cause any problems or discomfort sleeping like a regular mattress would.
One thing about Temp. is if you like your bedroom cool say 65 or so the Temp. is really hard until your body temperature warms it enough to soften.
We also have a Sealy memory foam mattress in the guest room which is similar but much less expensive.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use 2 Serta 3" 4 pound density toppers on a cheap unflippable mattress that I flipped to the hard flat side. Flipped it's about the same as using a board for a mattress. I love how comfortable the toppers are. I paid about $120 through Overstock with free delivery for each topper. I started with one topper three years ago on a regular mattress. When I switched to the upside mattress I bought the second topper, one wasn't enough on my EXTRA firm bed. I feel like The Princess and the Pea in that bed

I know it sounds weird but it works for me. I feel great in the morning even when I sleep 8-10 hours. Right now I'm in FL sleeping on a regular mattress. When I wake up my hips hurt. I can't sleep in late on this thing. Hate it. I'm thinking about ordering a topper for this place. We are only going to be here another 8 weeks. I'd have to trash it when we leave. I don't want to spend the money but I don't think I can last much longer on a regular mattress!

Mine are only a couple of years old but they are holding up just fine. If they break down I don't feel I would have to spend a lot to replace one.

I think a topper is worth trying. 4 pound density is what works for me. Just be sure to let it unroll by itself.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

You may want to try out a casper bed (casper.com, internet only no stores). It stopped my back pain. It comes in a box (see their website, pretty neat) and they have a 100 night return policy. They will come to your house to haul it away with no charge, full refund within the first 100 days.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrl11 View Post
You may want to try out a casper bed (casper.com, internet only no stores). It stopped my back pain. It comes in a box (see their website, pretty neat) and they have a 100 night return policy. They will come to your house to haul it away with no charge, full refund within the first 100 days.
Bought one last month and love it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

We have a Tempurpedic which is about 4 years old. I'm starting to notice it developing a trough where I sleep.

If it gets worse, it'll be time to move on to something else.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
We have a Tempurpedic which is about 4 years old. I'm starting to notice it developing a trough where I sleep.

If it gets worse, it'll be time to move on to something else.
They have a 10 year replacement warranty don't they? My DD got a free replacement when their mattress developed an 'out of tolerance' sag after 5 years of use.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Unless you normally sleep exactly in the center, I think most manufacturers recommend rotating it 180 degrees every six months to minimize that effect.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
They have a 10 year replacement warranty don't they? My DD got a free replacement when their mattress developed an 'out of tolerance' sag after 5 years of use.
Maybe.

Their 10 YEAR FULL REPLACEMENT LIMITED WARRANTY says
Quote:
Deterioration causing the mattress to have a visible indentation greater than three- fourths (0.75) of an inch

But the mattress looks fine each night before I use it. It's only after I warm it up that the trough develops.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking at a Dreamfoam latex one from Amazon right now, but boy, is it hard to figure out if we'll like it or not. I may wind up going to Costco and seeing the Novaform ones they sell. Not really sure about the foam versus latex and all that jazz. We've slept for more than a decade on a cheap innerspring mattress. I guess too many nights on an air mattress camping made anything seem fine to me, but DH is complaining and wants something different.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Maybe.

Their 10 YEAR FULL REPLACEMENT LIMITED WARRANTY says

But the mattress looks fine each night before I use it. It's only after I warm it up that the trough develops.
The "trough" is natural, unless it is overly deep (manufacturing defect?). In my case, the indentation is at most an eighth or a quarter inch (I'm guessing as it's insubstantial), which immediately springs back when I move or shift. It's simply the memory foam conforming to you, and to me it feels like heaven.

I've had a Serta memory foam for two years and don't know how I ever slept on anything else. It's like sleeping on a cloud. I've never been supported in any manner (lying, sitting, leaning) on anything as comfortable. And yes, it's guaranteed for ten years. The only downside is I never pass by it without wanting to take a nap!

I tested a Tempurpedic when buying the Serta and found it over priced for exactly the same thing. I do have two $160 Tempurpedic pillows which I would never spend that much for again.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We've slept for more than a decade on a cheap innerspring mattress. I guess too many nights on an air mattress camping made anything seem fine to me, but DH is complaining and wants something different.
Me too, I like my innerspring mattress so much! It's just exactly right for me. I went to a mattress store and lay on a Tempurpedic for 15 minutes to try it out, but wasn't inspired to buy it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #18
gone traveling

We had a Beautyrest reversible that had one side firm and the other side soft. As we aged, we preferred the softer side. It lasted 20 years and was still in very good shape. We just replaced it with another Beautyrest, a Black Hybrid which has both foam and springs, plus an adjustable platform. So far we are enjoying the new bed, especially the adjustability. From my perspective the old mattress didn't need replacing, but DW listens to those replace every eight commercials, and she felt it was just too old by that standard
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Last year I got a Sleep Innovations gel memory foam mattress from Amazon for much less than a Temperpedic. I think this is the same as the Novaform at Costco. I also got an adjustable platform Robot Check which actually is a Leggett & Pratt. Very nice to be able to sit up in bed to read or watch TV, and I've found that sleeping with it slightly inclined helps my breathing.

I can't speak for the durability since it's been less than a year but so far so good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

My tempurpedic is going on year 7 and has also developed a little of a trough but it is not a big issue with me. Agree with rotating it 180 degrees occasionally but I am a petite woman who lives alone and can't lift it. My mattress is an older model that has less dense foam similar to the "Original." The new higher density foam is supposed to hold up better (but is more expensive). Fortunately I like and bought a medium firm tempurpedic but would be concerned about the softer Cloud models holding up as well. And I have a cold house in the winter and as someone else mentioned, the mattress is hard at first until my body heat warms it up.

I used to have lower back pain when I woke up in the morning but this gradually subsided with the tempurpedic. And I like the feel of the mattress on my arthritic hips. I am not one of those people who just loved the mattress from the beginning and I worried at first that I had wasted my money. But I came to appreciate it within a few months. Also if you have GERD or leg circulation issues or like to read in bed, get the adjustable bed (and you can forgo the box springs which will save you a little money).
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote