Join Early Retirement Today

How long do we pay ObamaCare...is Medicare going to be there?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How long do we pay ObamaCare...is Medicare going to be there?

We are sittin pretty with money--but do not understand the healthcare world. If we leave the workforce and get SS and have some income from dividends. since all of this gets calculated in MAGI we'll be paying pretty big for healthcare. Will we be paying forever or at 65 or so does something change? Like is medicare going to be there anymore or should we plan to just keep payin?
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Healthcare will always be there. It may be in a different form, but it will be there. Guaranteed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Medicare is there at 65. It's the best deal these days for old folks (65 on up).
Old 09-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
We are sittin pretty with money--but do not understand the healthcare world. If we leave the workforce and get SS and have some income from dividends. since all of this gets calculated in MAGI we'll be paying pretty big for healthcare. Will we be paying forever or at 65 or so does something change? Like is medicare going to be there anymore or should we plan to just keep payin?
I can't guess the future of medicare. But medicare is not completely free. Part B requires a monthly fee which is means tested. There are also a variety of add on coverage to improve the plans. Being 54 I'm not overly concerned with the exact details since I expect some change by the time I get to choose.
Be happy that you have enough to pay the extra.... you could have a lot less, and to be honest you will likely still be having greatly subsidized insurance during the medicare years.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
Obamacare is only until Medicare kicks in when you turn 65.

There are threads on Medicare costs but my Mom's Medicare costs (Part B, Part D and Medigap) run about $4,500 a year for one person and that covers everything.

Have you checked out healthsherpa.com or your state exchange to see what your pre-Medicare health insurance costs will be? Ours have been much lower than my COBRA albeit for a plan with higher deductibles but luckily we are both healthy and haven't ever got close to meeting the deductibles.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are asking about whether people think that Medicare will be eliminated or "voucherized" or somesuch, then, no, I don't think so. It would be a huge political lift requiring that one party control the WH, the House, and have 60 Senate seats. Threatening to end Medicare is still very unpopular with the voters in both parties and if the anti-MC party did succeed in passing a law, they would take a royal beating at the next election.

The last time the traditionally anti-MC party was in that position, they tacked on more benefits to MC. Their voters are older and beneficiaries of MC.

Starving MC of funds might be a more politically achievable goal, similar to what's happening with SSDI, but there is a large and organized coalition to fight for MC that disabilty doesn't have.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #7

Please stay on the topic, as it relates to early retirement, without delving into partisan politics.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I can't guess the future of medicare. But medicare is not completely free. Part B requires a monthly fee which is means tested. There are also a variety of add on coverage to improve the plans.
+1. And I reminded myself too when I applied for Medicare this year that the FICA deduction from our paychecks includes a payment into Medicare--currently a total of 2.9 percent of gross income combined of both employee and employer, no income cap, so we have been directly paying into it for a long time.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

For those of us with good Obamacare deals (heavily subsidized), Medicare will be a lot more expensive. And no, you cannot stay on Obamacare once you are eligible for Medicare.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #10

In my area monthly Medicare...
Part B $104.90, Part D $16 to $41, Medigap "N" plan from $179 to $355

Numbers are higher with higher income.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

There are a lot of decent medicare advantage plans that only require the part B payment. In my case, Medicare will be less expensive than the ACA plan I have now with similar out of pocket and copays. Your mileage may vary.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
For those of us with good Obamacare deals (heavily subsidized), Medicare will be a lot more expensive. And no, you cannot stay on Obamacare once you are eligible for Medicare.
Being only 36 years old, I haven't really looked into Medicare before. I thought it was less expensive than what i'm seeing on this thread. I'm shocked there's not a reduced cost for lower income people. If your only income is $900/mo from SS how are you supposed to be able to afford to pay so much for Medicare? Even $120/mo would be a lot and that seems like the minimum. Then there are deductibles that need to be paid on top of that? Seems like it should be based on income.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Medicare Savings Program (MSP) and Social Security "Extra Help" for drug expenses is available for low income people. However most will make too much and not qualify for these programs. Some states have asset tests as well for MSP.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Being only 36 years old, I haven't really looked into Medicare before. I thought it was less expensive than what i'm seeing on this thread. I'm shocked there's not a reduced cost for lower income people. If your only income is $900/mo from SS how are you supposed to be able to afford to pay so much for Medicare? Even $120/mo would be a lot and that seems like the minimum. Then there are deductibles that need to be paid on top of that? Seems like it should be based on income.
Anecdotal info : My parents are both on Medicare. Mom went into the hospital, via ER, got admitted, after symptoms of stroke. She had all sorts of tests, lots of equipment hooked up to her, lots of doctors dropping by. She was in for 3 days, I think. She never got a bill for it! OK, great. Then my dad broke his hip, went to ER same hospital, got hip replacement. The hospital wanted him to stay there for 3 weeks. Medicare only pays for a certain amount of days, then my parents had to pay some portion (all?) of the bill. Then he had to go to rehab, and again, Medicare only paid up to x number of days there, no matter what the doctor says is needed. So they are having to pay a lot for the broken hip, but nothing for the stroke symptoms. Length of time in the hospital is the obvious difference here. Oh, and due to having a catheter in, with which he was able to walk with someone attending, my dad was required to take an ambulance from the hospital to the rehab (which was 1 minute away, and visible from the hospital). The bill for that was $750. Medicare paid $500 of it (your tax dollars at work!) and my parents were billed the other $250. There are even more gouging episodes I could relate about this, but it's just too depressing. They would have had to disobey the doctors' orders and check out of the hospital early to avoid being billed. I suppose the same things can happen with regular insurance too.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Anecdotal info : My parents are both on Medicare. Mom went into the hospital, via ER, got admitted, after symptoms of stroke. She had all sorts of tests, lots of equipment hooked up to her, lots of doctors dropping by. She was in for 3 days, I think. She never got a bill for it! OK, great. Then my dad broke his hip, went to ER same hospital, got hip replacement. The hospital wanted him to stay there for 3 weeks. Medicare only pays for a certain amount of days, then my parents had to pay some portion (all?) of the bill. Then he had to go to rehab, and again, Medicare only paid up to x number of days there, no matter what the doctor says is needed. So they are having to pay a lot for the broken hip, but nothing for the stroke symptoms. Length of time in the hospital is the obvious difference here. Oh, and due to having a catheter in, with which he was able to walk with someone attending, my dad was required to take an ambulance from the hospital to the rehab (which was 1 minute away, and visible from the hospital). The bill for that was $750. Medicare paid $500 of it (your tax dollars at work!) and my parents were billed the other $250. There are even more gouging episodes I could relate about this, but it's just too depressing. They would have had to disobey the doctors' orders and check out of the hospital early to avoid being billed. I suppose the same things can happen with regular insurance too.
Wouldn't Medigap insurance pay for this?
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Most retirees I know couldn't afford Medigap. Maybe part B ans D(maybe not) but not Medigap. That's expensive.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #17

MAGI (18-64 yo) expanded Medicaid does not consider assets. When turning 65+ income and resources ARE considered. If you qualify for Medicaid they will pay for the premiums and co-pays of Medicare. Most states consider assets for the 65+ group for the Medicare Savings Program (Medicaid pays the Medicare premiums).
Old 09-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
They have Medicare Advantage though United Healthcare in NJ. Don't know if that is considered a medigap situation. I suppose United Healthcare did not want to pay much of the uncovered expenses.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

Medigap does not apply to Medicare Advantage plans so that clears it up.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How long do we pay ObamaCare
I have been paying ObamaCare since 2013. 3.8% on my dividends and capital gains + 0.9% extra on some of my income. I quit working a few weeks ago to stop paying it. So just retire :-).
Neill is offline   Reply With Quote