Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many days per week do you exercise?
0 11 11.58%
1 3 3.16%
2 3 3.16%
3 13 13.68%
4 16 16.84%
5 20 21.05%
6 14 14.74%
7 15 15.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Due to my currrent status as "man of leisure", I'm doing resistance training three days a week, and walking for 60 min three time a week.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I retired I started working out at the gym 3 days a week. 30 min. cardio & 30 min. weight machines. Then the other 3 days I walk around the Lake which takes a little less than 60 minutes and it's about 2.5 miles. Then I do 30 minutes on a stationary bike. Today was my gym day but too much snow to drive down to the valley and go to the gym. I spent two hours digging my 4wd car out just to drive into town to have a little coffee ended up putting chains on just to get the darn thing out of the driveway. I'm sure I used quite a bit of calories digging and swearing at the car and the snowplow.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
178 and you want to get to 165. Ya gotta starve yourself on this area. Yes I am at 179 and the only way I get to 165 when I am racing is to cut out all alcohol, all breads/pasta go to the veggies steamed, salads no oils but vinegars, low fat chicken and fish, no fatty sauces and calories of only 1000 a day. It will get you to that weight but you will be hungry at times until your body adjusts to the lower caloric intake. But when you put on those 32 inch waist jeans and have that flat gut it was all worth it!

Oh and workout 2X a day, yes about 2 hours of running and cross training a day for 2 months will get you to the place of the 165!! I am on this plan as of yesterday. My goal is 165 by april 1 08, I am at 179 this morning.
If I ate and exercised like that I fear I'd be doing more damage than good. Starve yourself and your body goes into conservation/famine mode, which makes it harder to loose weight. Research also shows this kind of dieting is associated with cyclic weight gain and loss and causes stress on the system that can cause permanent damage to your muscles and other organs including the metabolic systems that help us maintain a healthy weight.

Feed your body intelligently -- eat the right foods at the right times, limit or eliminate fatty foods, processed sugars & starches, and the like -- and exercise with the goal of burning just 50-500 calories more per day than you take in and most people will loose weight.

For me that means eating around 1750-2250 calories a day (with an occasional day here and there when I outright blow it) that include milk and cereal for breakfast, a non-fat latte', a "healthy" microwave lunch, granola bar snack, a workout about four or five times a week, a (usually) home-made healthy dinner, and a slow but steady drop in weight.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
If I ate and exercised like that I fear I'd be doing more damage than good. Starve yourself and your body goes into conservation/famine mode, which makes it harder to loose weight. Research also shows this kind of dieting is associated with cyclic weight gain and loss and causes stress on the system that can cause permanent damage to your muscles and other organs including the metabolic systems that help us maintain a healthy weight.

Feed your body intelligently -- eat the right foods at the right times, limit or eliminate fatty foods, processed sugars & starches, and the like -- and exercise with the goal of burning just 50-500 calories more per day than you take in and most people will loose weight.

For me that means eating around 1750-2250 calories a day (with an occasional day here and there when I outright blow it) that include milk and cereal for breakfast, a non-fat latte', a "healthy" microwave lunch, granola bar snack, a workout about four or five times a week, a (usually) home-made healthy dinner, and a slow but steady drop in weight.
Have you read the studies on caloric restriction and life expendency? seriously we need many less calories than we think. In addition we eat many more calories than we think we eat. Sit down and write down everything you eat and drink this weekend. You will be amazed at the number of calories you eat. The underestimation is crazy.

By the way was a vegatarian for years never had a weight problem ever in my 51 years on the planet. I can loose or gain weight depending on simple caloric intake or restriction. Running upwards of 70 miles a week every week does help with caloric expenditures.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I don't know about that ... but eating the entire pound surely does
... you're killing me ... I haven't had bacon since I was in Vegas last (Sept). It sucks to be old ... but the alternative sucks even worse.
I dunno. I think I'd rather keel over at 75 with a piece of bacon in my mouth than live to 80 with a face full of steamed broccoli
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've never been the exercise type, relying on yardwork and projects around the house to get some physical activity. I don't do enough of that to really be of benefit but since the idea of a daily workout doesn't appeal to me, I've been trying to figure out how to get motivated. I think I've found it:

Exercise bike...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have you read the studies on caloric restriction and life expendency?
Yes, I have. I like this one on WebMD: Researchers Say Severely Cutting Calories Helps Rats Live Longer, but Not Humans
Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The gist of a PBS special was that the severe stress of caloric restriction triggered the body into doing things that in turn happened to cause a longer life (producing very large HDL molecules, something like that).
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Web MD from 05? Two years + ago, I would not take much on what is put out on web MD except how to treat a cold.

Seriously, we all need to eat less.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The gist of a PBS special was that the severe stress of caloric restriction triggered the body into doing things that in turn happened to cause a longer life (producing very large HDL molecules, something like that).
I thought that was an interesting NOVA special. The part where they talk with the centenarians was great: they were coherent and really pretty vital. They had aged well, but they weren't on calorie restricted diets, their age advantage appears to be due to the unusually large HDL cholesterol their body makes, or at least that was the theory being offered up. Their advantage was due to lucky genetics, not diet or even health living. You can read an abstract for the original research, published in JAMA, here.

Quote:
Web MD from 05? Two years + ago, I would not take much on what is put out on web MD except how to treat a cold.

Seriously, we all need to eat less.
I quite agree that, as a society and culture, we eat too much, and I agree that the FDA/USDA daily caloric allowances are likely on the plush side, too. There's a fair bit of research that suggests there are potential health benefits to reducing these caloric intakes by 12-25%, but not much beyond that figure.

My problem is with this fad of extreme calorie restriction diets that preach diets less than half of the 2000 calorie recommendation for minimally active, healthy adults. The utility of such extreme dieting is not supported by research; rodent research subjects starve to death when you drop their diets below 50% of normal, yet this is exactly the kind of diet you and the ultra-diet books advocate.

Worse yet, animal research subjects on restricted calorie diets are more prone to irritability, more likely to be aggressive with peers and bite their handlers, than subjects on standard diets. Thus, my philosophy is to just slightly reduce my caloric intake and extend my life without becoming a grumpy bunny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbf02.jpg (20.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently I attend Spin class 3x week (45 - 60 minutes) and run 3 - 4x week. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in April. After the 1/2 marathon I will switch to outdoor cycling to train for RAMROD (Ride Around Mount Rainer in One Day) in July (will still attend the Spin classes). I have found that training for events helps me stay motivated.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thus, my philosophy is to just slightly reduce my caloric intake and extend my life without becoming a grumpy bunny.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote