Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I quit on June 8th 1995. Took me a long time & lots of attempts, so I remember the date. Now, I don't miss it and am not bothered by people smoking around me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #22

In 1985 I had my appendix removed. I was in four person ward. As I was waking up from surgery, I heard an intern quizzing the new guy in the room.

Do you drink: No
Not at all: Maybe a bottle a year.

Do you smoke: No
Did you ever smoke: Yes

When did you quit: July 7, 1962

I was always impressed that it had been 20+ years and he knew to the day.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never smoked, but both of my parents did. There was always a veil of smoke in the living room. I like the smell of cigarette smoke outdoors--it smells familiar and brings back thoughts of my parents at a very deep level.

Mom died of heart disease, dad died of lung cancer, both before age 60. I'm very glad I never took up the habit.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Not for 40 years.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...and just as danerous when it comes to "second hand smoke". Coming back from the gym this morning a young guy makes a left turn and is accelerating head-on towards us on the wrong side of the road before I honked to make him look up and swerve to avoid us. (he was looking down and then raised the phone to his ear just as I honked, so I guess he was dialling or looking to see who was calling).
I think the laws against this kind of thing should be more stringent, and the penalties more severe. What an incredibly narcissistic way to behave. Cigarettes are nothing compared to this. It least it might take cigs 40 years to kill you, an idiot like this guy you describe could do it in a few seconds, all by himself.

Ha
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #26

Me:never ever
DH: party late night smoker, maybe 5 cigs/year.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #27

Maybe 10 cigarettes lifetime. Havent had one since mid 1970's. My dad smoked like a chimney, and died of lung cancer at age 59.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit 30 years ago. If anyone needs any incentive to quit my neighbor/friend/long term tenant was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer last month at 64. She has lost 50 pounds and can barely shuffle across the drive let alone climb a flight of stairs.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #29

I vaguely remember seeing a pack of cigs around the house when I was about 5 years old back in the late 1960s. But my dad, after hearing me learn in school about the perils of smoking, knew he had to quit so that I would not be receiving a mixed message about it at home.

Fast-forward to the 1980s and I was a bit of an activist against smokers. I was able to get the manager of the college dorm I lived in to to establish a separate non-smoking section (now known as a "secondhand smoking section") in the dorm's cafeteria. They also put up "no smoking" signs in the elevators even though that had been illegal since at least the 1970s (it is a fire hazard, of course).

I had many run-ins with smokers back then, as the laws to protect non-smokers in public places were rare and not very effective. I often kept elevator doors open if I saw a smoker enter one with me without putting out his lit cig first. Many restaurants lacked separate non-smoking sections so my family had to go elsewhere to find a place which did (the adjacent county had passed a stricter law back in the early 1980s). Movie theaters were another tough place to go to even though they had separate smoking "sections" on the wings.

At work, there were no separate non-smoking areas so one smoker could foul the air of many who sat near him or her. Commuter trains had separate smoking cars but that sometimes left me with the awful choice of standing in a non-smoking car or sitting in a smoking car. Airplanes, even though I did not fly often, were bad if you sat within a few rows of the secondhand smoking section.

But things began to change for the better in the late 1980s and early 1990s. First, the Long Island Rail Road banned smoking on all of its trains in 1988. Smoking was banned on most domestic airplane flights in 1990. And when my company moved to a new building in 1991, smoking was banned even inside private offices.

I wrote my state and local legislators many times in the 1990s as they considered passing tougher anti-smoking laws in public places. They did pass some good laws banning smoking in places such as restaurants and pool halls. It has been many years since I have had a run-in with a smoker, thankfully.

I can't imagine why anyone would engage in a habit which only harms the user and everyone around the user and costs the user lots of money.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would engage in a habit which only harms the user and everyone around the user and costs the user lots of money.
Addiction is incredibly powerful. I quit back in the early 80s. Every bone in my body hurt. I ate so many carrots I turned orange. I dreamed of accidentally starting to smoke for years afterwords.

People start young when they felt they were invincible. People don't start smoking when they are 30. I also jumped off cliffs into the local swimming hole, drove 70 miles an hour down rutted dirt roads, and dropped acid. Some of us, especially when young, have poor impulse control.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Addiction is incredibly powerful. I quit back in the early 80s. Every bone in my body hurt. I ate so many carrots I turned orange. I dreamed of accidentally starting to smoke for years afterwords.

People start young when they felt they were invincible. People don't start smoking when they are 30. I also jumped off cliffs into the local swimming hole, drove 70 miles an hour down rutted dirt roads, and dropped acid. Some of us, especially when young, have poor impulse control.
Good post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #32

I'm a Maduro girl (Romeo & Juliet or Gurkhas preferred)...also the foo-foo Acid Cigars/cigarillos...if drinking with other smokers, will break down if they are smoking menthols. I was bumming smokes from civilians one night at McSorley's like mad during Fleet Week in NYC (did not make it home until 0900)...good fun, but I could barely breathe the next day!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I quit when I turned 23. Don't crave anymore except on extremely cold wintry days or lovely crisp cool fall days when I am out on long walks with my dog. But I never once succumbed to the temptation. So far so good!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
It's not a habit, it's a drug addiction. Tried to stop my habit 3 or 4 times over the years with no success. DW decided she was going to quit and read a book given to her by a friend who said over a dozen people had read the book and stopped smoking for at least a year or more. She read the book and smoked her last cigarette as instructed about 4 1/2 years ago. I knew there was no way we were going to remain happily married as one smoker and one ex-smoker so I read the book too. The book convinced me that smoking was not a habit but actually a dirty, smelly, unhealthy, expensive drug addiction that, in large part, ruled my life. I had my last cigarette a week after she did. We have passed the book onto others who have successfully quit as well.

For anybody that wants to kick the addiction:

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

The first few days are really tough as you fight through withdrawal but after that it's easy once you've decided not to let a drug addiction ruin your life.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Question: Do you smoke after sex?

Answer:
|
|
|
I don't know, I never looked.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I don´t know if this is too personal a question. But I am curious, because we, in Spain, think that smoking is something of the past there in the USA. Reports from California or New York lead us Spaniards to believe that smoking is for you something akin to a crime/rude behaviour.
I'm from California. I don't like to be around smokers. None of my friends smoke. They don't allow it in restaurants, or anywhere else indoors thank goodness. If someone smokes around me I do consider it to be rude. My opinion on this topic is by no means unique to me. There are those that are very militant about being able to breathe clear smoke free air. It is (In California at least) the opposite of cool to be a smoker.

There are lots of exceptions but mostly smokers are from the lower socioeconomic ranks/blue collar/low class. Smoking rates keep dropping.
My question for you is... Why would anyone choose to smoke now knowing what we know ?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I smoked socially in college until I witnessed my first autopsy on a smoker . I stopped and never looked back.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thirty years later and I still have that dream about once a year......

My uncle lived with emphysema for years. I remember my mother saying emphysema won't kill you - it will just make you wish you were dead. He committed suicide a couple years ago. As heart-breaking as it was, I think his kids and wife understood. Life was hell for him.

Yes - for many, smoking is not just a bad habit. It is a drug addiction.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #39

Quote:

I am so relieved that I did not get addicted, since I smoked between age 8 and 11. While clearing my Dad's house over Christmas we were emptying bookcases and came across a book with hollowed out pages containing 3 cigarettes. I'd completely forgotten about that little hiding place I'd made. My brother also smoked during those boyhood years, but like me quit very young. Our 2 younger sisters were not so lucky. One of them still smokes and the other managed to stop ~7 years ago.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I think being miltantly anti-smoker, particularly when you get in people's faces marks you as a bit too arrogant. Get real, smokers pose a very very small risk to you, smaller than almost anyone driving down a road you are on.

Anyway, as a matter of personal survival I avoid confronting people. If you live long enough, plenty of people will take the initiative and confront you on whatever trespasses they have decided that you are making against them.

I don't smoke and never have, but I don't consider it to be a moral issue at all. Many very nice, well educated people smoke. Like Martha said, many started along time ago and have not been able to quit. Barack Obama smokes, and which of you is cooler than he? Vicente smokes, and what male on this board has a more pleasant persoanlity than he? Certainly not I and I am a nonsmoker.

Ha