Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Zero. I used to take a daily vitamin supplement, but I quit that, we eat well enough.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

At my most recent check-up, I was asked if I was currently on any prescription medications. When I said I wasn't, the nurse looked at me, smiled, and said, "Are you sure?"

I guess at some point, they figure everyone is on something, and just forgets!

Amethyst

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unfortunately, I have to take about 9 a day. Some are related to asthma, some for kidney/bladder chronic disease, and mild high blood pressure. Also low thyroid. It seemed like way too many, but there really aren't any I can cut out.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Apart from a few antibiotics when she was injured a few times, my mother never took a prescription med in her life, and she died last year at 96. I look at that as probably a pretty good omen for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #65

None at age 56. I do have a prescription eye drop for one eye that is a "glaucoma suspect." In addition I've suffered from occasional migraines all my life but they seem to be getting worse with hormonal changes. I'm taking too many OTC painkillers such as aspirin or Excedrin Migraine and need to stop this cycle.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof12 View Post
I currently take 15 pills a day and was wondering how I compare with others.
Yikes. I used to feel grumpy about a daily antihistamine.

I've reluctantly concluded that I'd rather treat BP and other health issues with exercise rather than with medications, so I take a lot of ibuprofen to help with the exercise recovery. The vitamins probably just make my kidneys & liver work harder, but they also have the placebo effect of making me feel as if I'm doing some good.

Otherwise my personal dosage depends on how many chocolate chips are the equivalent of "one pill".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
He ended up grabbing the wheel of his own hearse, didn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
Age 63. Currently zero, but just started taking a joint supplement (in liquid form) about a month ago hoping it will help my knee. Any testimonials for joint stuff out there ?
Yes-- if you're a horse or a dog. Unfortunately their documented results have yet to be achieved in any credible research on humans.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
What do you mean by "joint stuff" ? Arthritis ? Knee replacement ? Torn ligament ? Etc.
Had an ACL repair (not reconstruction) in 1980 that has always bothered me, but I have put up with it. Had another incident skiing (had to ski down on one leg) and decided to have it "scoped" about a year ago. Doc found and removed three meniscus tears and also removed a "loose body". All in all, the knee is at about 50% and doesn't hurt very much when not being stressed. Have started taking supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin) hoping for some improvement.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #68

I've refused to take any meds for high BP for several years but gave in this year. I was drug free until early 60's but per that link about how many drugs people take by age I'm doing ok. 2 BP meds and an iron supplement as my iron is just a little low. My cholesterol and triglycerides are so good I just ignored the high BP but decided it makes no sense to die boasting I never took any meds.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Zero prescription drugs at age 60.
Five OTC (fish oil, Vitamin D3, Multivitamin, Calcium, ibuprofen)

I am an RN working at a hospital (inpatient med/surg). Most of the patients we see are 65-85 years old. It is not uncommon to see patients who are admitted with and discharged with 15-20 prescription medications.

Here's an interesting article on polypharmacy. (The comments by pharmacists are interesting too.)

Multiple medications: Growing "polypharmacy" problem - CBS News
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Certainly the right medications can extend people's lives and quality of life.

I do wonder how many conditions are treated with drugs, when the best cure would be a lifestyle change that is not even prescribed? And how often a Dr. tries to prescribe a lifestyle change such as diet, exercise, or weight loss, and the Patient simply insists on a pill instead?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post

I am an RN working at a hospital (inpatient med/surg). Most of the patients we see are 65-85 years old. It is not uncommon to see patients who are admitted with and discharged with 15-20 prescription medications.

Here's an interesting article on polypharmacy. (The comments by pharmacists are interesting too.)

Multiple medications: Growing "polypharmacy" problem - CBS News
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everybody should consider taking a baby aspirin, vitamin D and fish oil.....but check with your Doctor 1st. See and listen to your Doc......my parents both died young....they wouldn't have if they knew and took the pills we have available to us today.......I'm a total of six each day.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #72
gone traveling

if we all lived to 100 most of us would end up taking a medication for something.

body parts do wear out.

Pancreas-creates insulin-works less effectively as we age

GERD-most people develop as age

arthritis like problems-your immuno suppresive systems get weaker as age.

thyroid-gets weaker as age

blood pressure- blood vessels naturally startto constrict as you age nothing wrong with diet and exercise but aging will get to most of us.

answer-don't age

most people who never had to take a drug(notice i said most) died before they developed the most likely problems
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #73

Was thinking about this aging/pills thing today and I cannot brag.

No pills right now, but have hearing aids, reading glasses (and should get regular glasses since i am constantly putting them on/taking them off), and a total knee replacement three years ago.

Pills or not, the age thing is most defintely getting to me.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
gone traveling

Just to make you greybeards feel better, I'm 31, and I'm currently taking about 5 supplements, and twice daily NSAID's (as well as a recent major diet change) in an effort to combat a probable autoimmune issue. My mother has given me terrible genes in that respect, having fibromyalgia, lupus, arthritis, etc.

I've been doing slightly better since the diet change, and actually get to see a rheumatologist on Friday. So, we'll see.

Otherwise, I'm of healthy weight and have no other issues.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof12 View Post
OK, I'm nearly 65 and I know my health isn't as great as when I was a young man. I never took medicine and I never went to the doctor--but about 50 I hit a brick wall!!!!! Today I suffer from high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes as well as a host of other ailments. It seems every time I go to the doctor, which is now very frequently, I get a new pill or an upping of the dosage.

I currently take 15 pills a day and was wondering how I compare with others.
Prof12
Maybe someone else has mentioned this but I can't read through 73 posts right now. Just a suggestion: Get a another doctor. That's what I did. My health improved immediately.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #76

Am 52 and been through quite a few surgeries. No prescription pills but 3 vitamin pills five times a week.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have never smoked, no drugs, i only drink socially, not promiscuous...
None of those...

One prescription (niacin/statin), plus a multi, two fish oil caps, and D in the winter. Chronological age 58 and some change.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #78

You guys are slackers! I am currently taking 18 Rxs totaling 44 or 45 pills per day. I take pills at 8 am, noon, 6 pm, 8 pm, and 10 pm. I have pills that interfere with each other and have to be taken apart from their nemesis pills. All of them are prescribed by competent doctors. I have had childhood diabetes since age six cured by multiple organ transplants so I have excuses for all the meds. Although sometimes annoyed by my cellphone alarms always going off and interrupting various parts of life, I love taking my pills! I'm still here because of them! I, too, plan to live forever!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #79

At age 60 I take no perscription medication. Daily I take 1 low dose aspirin, 1 multi-vitamin, 1 vitamin D, and 1 B complex vitamin. I know of no one else age 50 or above that does not take at least one perscription, and most have multiple perscriptions.

I feel fortunate to have good health, but I also exercise and watch the diet to improve my chances.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

We are both 56, and neither of us have any prescription. I used to take a vitamin pill, a baby aspirin, and a fish oil capsule. Had some internal bleeding, so perhaps my blood gets too thin. Cut them all out for about 2 or 3 months now. Figure I eat enough variety of food that I should not need any vitamin.