Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera

Hey Mulligan - not sure if there is any cause/effect, surgeons and dr's say that there really shouldn't be, but this is the chain of events:
crashed in a several races, had a few surgeries (shoulder, hip, wrist), after my last surgery I started having BP and irregular heart beat issues so the cardiologist prescribed a number of meds for those issues. It's be a long process with many tests and numerous different combos of meds. Then my arthritis really started to act up (don't know if any of the heart meds had anything to do with it or if the surgeries had an effect) so the dr gave me a couple of meds for that, finally my stomach was just a mess, guessing from all the aforementioned meds, so I'm now taking something for that.

I'm way, way more understanding now when people have health issues.

Love krill btw -
Thanks for sharing, although the whole process would seem very stressful and painful. I should go in for a check up as its been 3 years, but I go to these health fairs and get my cholesterol and BP checked and it's fine. Those doctor visits are very cursory anyways, but I don't want to go looking for trouble because I may find it.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm on 2 rx meds. Doc put me on BP med when I had a pretty bad spike last August...he read it at 168/110, which was in the range that I saw on my home BP monitor in the few days before I saw the doc, although it had gone as high as 195/125 on the home monitor. He put me on what he thought was a minimum US dose (this was in Japan). It took about 10 days or so, but BP came back to normal. The spike was after a heated, very heated, discussion with the big boss about what I felt was inappropriate behavior of another senior colleague.

Fast forward to retirement at the end of 2012. BP was floating around 115/75 upon waking, on the same med. Now fast forward another 6 weeks. BP sinks to 96/56 plus or minus, several days in a row. I foresaw this, and asked Japan doc to give me three months of half his original dosing in case my BP dropped due to lower stress level. So for about three weeks now, I'm on the lower dose. Past couple of days have been around 102/56. I'm thinking the best RX for the BP was ER.

I'm also on aciphex for chronic gastritis...which doc told me was likely due to stress...I don't drink or smoke. Last scope was clean, after a year of the med.

I think it's time to visit the doc here in Cali to see about getting completely off these two meds, due to the stress relief afforded by ER.

I also take a variety of supplements, a multi, fish oil, niacin and red yeast rice to try to keep cholesterol from going over the line, glucosamin/chondroitin/MSM to support the knees, CQ10, garlic, b-complex, and finally Culturelle with metamucil to help ward off another diverticulitis attack.

R
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
I was always quite smug when it came to meds. Back then I was a fit, 49 yr old Cat II cyclist, no smoking, no drinking, 20 BMI, and no meds of any kind. Fast forward a couple of years and now the counter top is littered with prescription meds. I guess it's karma. I've dropped the whole "geez, if you just did what I did you wouldn't need to take all that cr*p" attitude.

i'm a pharmacist. don't feel bad. although some young people have to take multiple drugs usually those past 55 suddenly have HBP,cholesterol problems,etc etc.. no matter how good you take care of yourself body parts just start to wear out. In general heredity is the most important factor. some of us just have better genes.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i'm a pharmacist. don't feel bad. although some young people have to take multiple drugs usually those past 55 suddenly have HBP,cholesterol problems,etc etc.. no matter how good you take care of yourself body parts just start to wear out. In general heredity is the most important factor. some of us just have better genes.
I really think that is true about age taking its toll and the influence of genetics. I made it to 59 with no prescriptions at all (despite considerable overweight and a completely sedentary lifestyle), and then had to start on one for cholesterol. The week I retired (at 61) my internist added two more, for BP and blood sugar. It was like a punch in my gut, until I looked around and noticed that most others I knew in their 60's were at least on BP and cholesterol meds. I was lucky to get some pretty good genes, but they aren't enough to keep me med-free in my 60's I guess, especially if I don't lose some more weight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post

Yeah, I think you're right and I'm just feeling sorry for myself.

But at least I was focused on FIRE so that now I can really enjoy ER.....
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
had to start on one for cholesterol. The week I retired (at 61) my internist added two more, for BP and blood sugar.
This is not advice, merely a comment.

My cholesterol, BP, and blood sugar all came down significantly within a few months of starting a low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet. My internist was very skeptical at first (when I told him I had quit taking the statin), but for the last couple of years, when I go in for my annual checkup he looks at the lab numbers and says "I don't understand it but keep doing what you're doing."
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This is not advice, merely a comment.

My cholesterol, BP, and blood sugar all came down significantly within a few months of starting a low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet. My internist was very skeptical at first (when I told him I had quit taking the statin), but for the last couple of years, when I go in for my annual checkup he looks at the lab numbers and says "I don't understand it but keep doing what you're doing."
Yes, obviously... many people's need for these three medications go down significantly if they lose weight on ANY diet, and/or get lots of exercise. And simultaneously, the need for these does tend to increase in many people as they grow older, as well. I think that is why JBMadera felt this way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
I was always quite smug when it came to meds. Back then I was a fit, 49 yr old Cat II cyclist, no smoking, no drinking, 20 BMI, and no meds of any kind. Fast forward a couple of years and now the counter top is littered with prescription meds. I guess it's karma. I've dropped the whole "geez, if you just did what I did you wouldn't need to take all that cr*p" attitude.
Unfortunately, as gerrym mentioned above, genetics do come into play as might be the case for JBmadera.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #128
Gone but not forgotten

I take two BP meds and an inhaler for asthma .After I retired I lost 23 pounds and my BP meds had to be cut in half .No such luck with the inhaler !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I take two BP meds and an inhaler for asthma .After I retired I lost 23 pounds and my BP meds had to be cut in half .No such luck with the inhaler !
Wow, that is great! Congratulations! Sorry about your asthma.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know genes play a big part. My dad was diabetic at 55. I checked my blood sugar yesterday morning and it was 78. I will be 66 in August. I just keep moving. Some days I have trouble doing that but I make myself walk. I also get on the Elliptical about four times a week for at least 20 minutes. I also play golf four days a week and I pay later for that. My body is beginning to show wear but I refuse to stop. I take blood pressure meds and that's about it. I am looking to loose 10 more pounds which would me 5ft 165. I want to add muscle but that is hard. I got a used bowflex last week and will start this week training on it. I need to hit the golf ball longer so I can keep up with the 50 year olds. I will update later on how this goes. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #131
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I am looking to loose 10 more pounds which would me 5ft 165.
Typo, or are you short vertically challenged?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #132
gone traveling

Does Jack Daniels count as a drug? (black lable only, no generic brand) Sure makes me feel better.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
Does Jack Daniels count as a drug? (black lable only, no generic brand) Sure makes me feel better.
I use blackberry brandy as cough syrup.
I use red wine as a pain reliever.

No bad side effects to date.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

What did you have to eat in Mexico? The docs aren't the only ones fascinated.
This re the black armpits.

Finally got into see the dermatologist this morning......older guy, (if he hasn't seen it all he's seen most of it).......took a biopsy, the results of which I should receive in ~ 3-4 weeks........didn't want to commit himself but indicated it's probably one of a couple possibilities, (both quite rare which explains why none of the other docs had a clue)........said, if he's right, it'll likely go away after about 18 months.

(I indicated that, as far as I'm concerned, if it ain't contagious, debilitating, or life-threatening, I really don't care too much.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear that, Nemo. Hopefully it will turn out to be a non-problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Going back to post #92.

Received the following today, post biopsy, for the black armpits:

Quote:
The biopsy came back as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

This means that you did have a rash which has disappeared or almost disappeared and is turning into pigmentation. There is no good treatment for this pigmentation. The body will get rid of it over time. Time might mean 1 or 2 years..........
So...I don't recall ever having a rash...but it's gone now....should I miss it?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #137

Think about it for a while. Don't make any rash decisions.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the rash was just a pigment of your imagination.

Glad it's something that doesn't seem to need further treatment.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

This is good news! Nothing to be done except to make a conversation piece of your armpits! IOW....

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (Don't Do It) - YouTube
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote