Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Probably about 130 days running, although I don't track it rigorously, and that comes out to about 300 miles total. I do keep a pedometer on me and avg about 4-4.5 miles/day for the whole year; so that is about 1500 combined miles of walking and running.

Could do better I guess, but this is also with working full time. Once retired I would have more time available. To be determined if that comes true.......

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I'm not familiar with how the polor HRM measures calories, but after looking up some info on their site it would likely not be of interest

I'd be more interested if it would actually read correctly as most devices I've tried are not reliable.
However my gym does not allow cell phones in the exercise or locker areas... so sensors that need a cell phone would be useless if you follow the rules.
Much of my exercise is away from the gym: bike riding, sailing and hiking. I don't record how many times I go to the gym or miles I ride bike. And a good windy day racing sailboats is more fun and effective than doing crunches.
When I do use an optical heart rate monitor (seems to be more accurate with a pacemaker from what I've tried) I try to keep my heart rate in the upper 140's as it has a hard stop at 150bpm. I really can't wait until I get the upgrade and the upper limit will be more like 180.
The only calorie count I get is from cardio machines at the gym which I don't record, but I have not idea how to get the calorie count for all the off machine exercise at the gym or away from the gym.
But with 275 times at the gym in a year, it sound like you have a well scheduled exercise regiment. That should serve you well at staying fit. I sounds like you a doing well at keeping active.
My target is to get my HR to about 150BPM then keep it at that level during a workout. Will usually get to 150 after about 15-20 minutes of 9-10 MET exertion. My average HR for anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes is usually 135-140. My Polar HRM uses a chest strap and seems quite accurate. It estimates calories using inputs for my weight, bike weight (if biking) my VO2 score ( I know this from doctors visits). This method is only an estimate but gives me good comparative data from workout to workout. Calorie counts for machines can vary quite a bit for similar effort but generally are consistent with my HR monitor. Favoutite time to workout is late morning.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Well there is always dancing naked in front of a mirror and admiring ourselves.
Way to go !!!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to go with "not enough."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Me too, if I split it up over a few days.

😂 +1000

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
263 days of bike riding for a total of 4,536 miles. Two months with 650 + miles. Three 65 mile organized rides. Feel like I can/should improve in 2016.
Impressive! I biked 2,791 miles last year, up from 1,472 miles in 2014. Most of this was for training for two 210 mile organized rides. I suspect my number will be a lot lower this year, probably closer to what I did in 2014.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Probably about 130 days running, although I don't track it rigorously, and that comes out to about 300 miles total. I do keep a pedometer on me and avg about 4-4.5 miles/day for the whole year; so that is about 1500 combined miles of walking and running.

Could do better I guess, but this is also with working full time. Once retired I would have more time available. To be determined if that comes true.......
I think that just keeping track on a daily basis is great. That feedback during our day is what we need to go the extra mile.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think that just keeping track on a daily basis is great. That feedback during our day is what we need to go the extra mile.
Yes, that was really the point of my OP. Not so much the result but rather the process of keeping track. I have been doing this for several decades and it reinforces my commitment to daily fitness. This is an outgrowth of the kind of person I am (and I suspect the case for many here), ie organized, committed, maybe even a little driven?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #28

I do some combination of 4 "workouts:" running, cycling, swimming, and weights. I average 35 per month or so. In a given day I do more than one, so there are about 6 days/month I do none.
I track my workouts on a basic online training calendar. For me, good way to keep track and just as importantly provides ongoing inspiration for me to complete my monthly "quota."
Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is the start of my gym workouts of 2016, athough I have already gone for a 7k run on New Year's Day.

I really like the idea of writing everything down...so today, I will start doing this.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I do some combination of 4 "workouts:" running, cycling, swimming, and weights. I average 35 per month or so. In a given day I do more than one, so there are about 6 days/month I do none.
I track my workouts on a basic online training calendar. For me, good way to keep track and just as importantly provides ongoing inspiration for me to complete my monthly "quota."
You got me thinking. I did 47 training sessions in 2015. These are always accompanied by an erobic workout, so I should really add the training sessions to my totals. That gets me up to 322 for the year!! Yea!! I know, I know. I am getting carried away.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I only track walking, cycling and hiking since smartphone apps make it so easy. No tracking of of strength-building worksouts, so I had a total of 975 miles, 241 hours, 97,761 calories burned (although I suspect my tracker overestimates calories), 75 workouts tracked.

Goal for 2016: focus on exercising more often, as opposed to the less frequent long-duration events, i.e. 5 1 hour bike rides instead of 1 5 hour hike.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #32

554 miles walking the golf course carrying my bag. Down somewhat from last year as it is too hot here in AZ to walk during the summer. With past years, living in Colorado in summer, used to log closer to 900 miles.

Also played pickle ball 40 times for about 1.5 hrs per game.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Only 97 logged since August '15. We'd been walking since the beginning of May, but hadn't tracked the workouts.

In November DW said she's walking indoors for the winter, so gym it is. Mainly just 3 times a week for an hour. We just started with weights for 1/2 the hour, rest is cardio.

Overall we're pretty happy with our results, 92 combined pounds lost. Both went from BMI of obese to normal! I had some data that suggests 80% of at least my weight loss was due to diet, only 20% exercise. Guess the saying of not being able to exercise your way out of a bad diet is true.

Goal for this year is to keep working out and keep logging the diet. I'm going to try eating LCHF for at least a month to see if that WOE is agreeable. First day was yesterday, pretty good so far.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Goal for 2016: focus on exercising more often, as opposed to the less frequent long-duration events, i.e. 5 1 hour bike rides instead of 1 5 hour hike.
Good idea.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Impressive! I biked 2,791 miles last year, up from 1,472 miles in 2014. Most of this was for training for two 210 mile organized rides. I suspect my number will be a lot lower this year, probably closer to what I did in 2014.
Thanks. Are your 210 mile rides touring rides? I've never done that, but would like to try.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #36

7,000 vertical feet of skiing at the end of 2015. I am still young and workout as often as I can. I have the occasional lapses of 2-3weeks and then my internals start whacking out to the point I need to workout.

2016 Goal is 20,000+ ft of skiing, playing more basketball and doing the weekly workouts a bit more routinely...its tough with an infant at home. I figure working out more at home will mean spending less online/at the store.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #37

Didn't track my workouts in 2015, but I ended the year feeling pretty good and my weight was within a couple of pounds of where I was at the beginning of the year. But for the record, I've worked out 3 times so far this year.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #38

Swam 133,500 yards (~76 statute miles)
Biked 1255 miles
Ran 880 miles

Didn't count all the walking, SUP, weights, etc.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #39

When home we usually do 2 exercise workouts at the gym each day Monday through Thursday then Friday through Sunday we go for a walk or bike ride.

Last year we were traveling for 5 months and most days included a long hike or walk. At the end of the trip I had lost 6lbs - I was 178lbs before we left. However I really have no idea how much we did in 2015.

This thread has inspired me to keep a formal log of the type of exercise and duration for 2016

ETA
I record my weight once a week, and see that I was exactly the same weight in the last week of the year as I was in the first (176lbs).
Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Thanks. Are your 210 mile rides touring rides? I've never done that, but would like to try.

Not a touring ride. I biked STP (Seattle to Portland) and RSVP (Seattle to Vancouver BC) with my son this year. Since it was an organized ride, we had luggage services, snacks provided, etc. We did both rides over two days and booked hotel rooms.

We both enjoyed RSVP and are planning on doing it again this year. STP was meh. Too many people and the route was only ok.

When my son was younger, we did a couple of overnight rides where we packed everything on our bikes and would stay the night at a campground. But I find that I like the comfort of a bed and not having to lug around a lot of gear.

Eventually I'll try a longer supported ride, such as two weeks in the south of France, but I want to have luggage and lodging taken care of.