Join Early Retirement Today

How Many Workouts in 2015
Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished my 2015 workout spreadsheet. Did 275 workouts and burned off an indicated 196,000 calories (consistently use a Polar heart rate monitor). Weight was down just slightly from 2014. All in fairly happy with result although both number of workouts and Cals burned are down from earlier years. I figure not too bad for a 65 year old "geezer".

Anybody else care to share their results?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your great results!

I probably do have that data, as between a Fitbit and then an Apple watch, supplemented with a Polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor for indoor workouts, I was automatically tracking this stuff since beginning of Feb. 3 to 7 workouts most weeks. Not as high as your total number I expect, but probably my most active year in a decade. 56 now.

I experienced over 15 pounds weight loss in 2015, but I attribute most that to a dietary change in the second half of the year that eliminated dairy along with gluten and soy, and had me cooking all my meals from scratch at home from a restricted list of foods for six months.

My fitness level definitely improved along with the weight loss.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Records are nowhere near as comprehensive, but on Oct 10, just 2 weeks after my 73rd birthday, I did the equivalent of 3.49 times up to the CN Tower observation pod, (6195 up steps, don't count the down ones).

In this weather it's the elliptical though.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Your post made me curious, so I totaled up my workouts. ("SUP" is stand-up paddleboard, HIIT is high intensity interval training, and a "Walk" could be either a hike or a powerwalk/chat session with my friend)

148 Run
90 Yoga
28 Strength Train
25 Bike
15 SUP
14 Walk
12 Kayak
11 HIIT
7 Other Cardio
350 total

Total workouts is 350. It wasn't always one workout per day, there are plenty of doubles in the mix to make up for the total rest days (aka lazy days).

The 148 runs is way down from a couple of years ago. My goal for 2016 is to increase the running frequency and mileage, without losing too much of the other cross training.

There were a couple of surprises for me. I would've guessed that I had more than 25 bike rides last year. But I might be remembering short little rides to run errands that are not captured in my log. I don't log any ride under 3 miles.

I also thought I took my kayak out more than my SUP. It's actually a good thing that I used the SUP more often -- it's a better core workout than the kayak.

Today will be a run day, with maybe some yoga afterwards.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

I'm not familiar with how the polor HRM measures calories, but after looking up some info on their site it would likely not be of interest
Quote:
If you have a pacemaker using Polar training computer is at your own risk. We recommend that you do an exercise test under your doctor's supervision before starting the use of a heart rate monitor. The test is to ensure the safety and reliability of the simultaneous use of pacemaker and a heart rate monitor.
I'd be more interested if it would actually read correctly as most devices I've tried are not reliable.
However my gym does not allow cell phones in the exercise or locker areas... so sensors that need a cell phone would be useless if you follow the rules.
Much of my exercise is away from the gym: bike riding, sailing and hiking. I don't record how many times I go to the gym or miles I ride bike. And a good windy day racing sailboats is more fun and effective than doing crunches.
When I do use an optical heart rate monitor (seems to be more accurate with a pacemaker from what I've tried) I try to keep my heart rate in the upper 140's as it has a hard stop at 150bpm. I really can't wait until I get the upgrade and the upper limit will be more like 180.
The only calorie count I get is from cardio machines at the gym which I don't record, but I have not idea how to get the calorie count for all the off machine exercise at the gym or away from the gym.
But with 275 times at the gym in a year, it sound like you have a well scheduled exercise regiment. That should serve you well at staying fit. I sounds like you a doing well at keeping active.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Right, I forgot that many days I did two workouts, so maybe I total would be more than I think.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

147 hiking and biking workouts totaling 315.6 hiking miles and 691.9 biking miles. I don't keep track of weight workouts, now at 3 per week. No running for most of 2015 - just started last week.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

The 275 include about 20 bike rides. These would generally be about 25 miles. Also, many days my workout would include a trainer as well as cardio but only count this as one workout. Calories are all inclusive. My goal was 300 workouts so got close. Generally, the only days I miss are when we are travelling between locations. I feel that improved fitness is one of the biggest advantages of being retired. Although, started working out when I was 30, 35 years ago.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Strava shows 218 runs for 1795 miles, but I'm not sure I got every run.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No gym workouts. When I'm at my coastal condo, I ride my bike everyday. Roughly 15 miles per session x 100 rides = 1500 miles for the year or there about. When I'm home I walk 2-3 miles per day with the mutt. Plus play 75 rounds of golf per year(cart riding). That's about it, nothing stellar but enough activity to keep the beer belly in check.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I try for every day. Had 770 miles of hilly trail running in 2015. Alternated days with walks.

For many years I've recorded my runs in a desk calendar. Running mileage helps me to understand injuries and track shoe mileage. I just started keeping track of this stuff with Google Sheets so I can see it on my phone. Here is the format:

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #12

I don't keep a spreadsheet or any other records, but do make an effort to get to the gym every other day. There, they keep a monthly list of who's been there how many times and what they lifted. I'm always on the second page about in the middle. Looking at the first names it appears that some people must come several times a day!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

The only thing I record is bicycling because I participate in the National Bike Challenge with a group of friends. I biked 3,200 miles which included a vacation ride, commuting and recreation. I also played basketball 2 days a week during the school year, occasional runs/walks. and the sport I just re-started, ice hockey. I am so happy I am back on the ice. I am having a blast and the group of guys/gals are terrific!
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I may have missed 5 workout days in 2015; I'm pretty disciplined. Mostly it's 1.25 hours in the gym or a 1-2 hour bike ride. When I'm away from home I may swim, run on the beach, whatever works. I now log everything in my Planet Fitness app but just joined mid-year.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

So in addition to working out and keeping spreadsheets, whaddaya do all day ?

My workout is roughly twice a week, plus figure skating two or three times a week and the assorted lumberjacking at the camp. Adds up to...... heck I don't give a damn
Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
So in addition to working out and keeping spreadsheets, whaddaya do all day ?

Well there is always dancing naked in front of a mirror and admiring ourselves.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I worked out on 183 days during the year (some days had multiple workouts but that is not easily to get to). I lost about 14 or so pounds to get to my goal weight (62 pounds total loss).

Exercise is mostly walking, elliptical, exercise bike and weight training with a personal trainer twice a week for the last half of the year.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm...never really wrote it all down. But over the course of 2015 I went to the gym, pretty much without fail, 5 days per week...30 or 40 minutes of hard cardio plus another hour of weight training. Lost sixty pounds total...went from a body fat % of around 23% to around 10% where I am now. Stronger, leaner...I can now run 10km with fairly little drama.

This has really been amongst the best aspects of my FIRE so far...DW likes it too.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
..I can now run 10km with fairly little drama.
Me too, if I split it up over a few days.

Anyways, it's awesome to read about your success with all your exercise.

For myself, I got my resting heart rate down to below 40. I am in my 50's.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

263 days of bike riding for a total of 4,536 miles. Two months with 650 + miles. Three 65 mile organized rides. Feel like I can/should improve in 2016.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote