Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Fortunately, that ship has sunk. The entire endeavor was a huge monetary loss, and was a miserable endeavor for both of us. We were able to find a buyer (at $175,000 less than we paid for it), and have been free since last July.
Kronk, It mind sound like little consolation, but just about everyone I knew who pursued the ole entreprenurial dream has gotten seriously burned at least once (including myself). If they tell you otherwise it's probably bunk. Heck, my "march to my own tune spirit" also made me a lousy investor in my 20's-30's, just to add insult to injury. DW set me strait on that one My risk-taking loss total is surely bigger than yours in current dollars. I figure if my wayward brain could recoup from that, anyone can. Good luck and sorry for going off topic.

Looks like I also get the award for most spent on sporting activities per year. That's an indulgence I'm happy to live with. (Live 2 kite, kite 2 live)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave up the gym membership a couple years ago and got some dumbells.

When I need new shoes, ask for those as Christmas presents. My brother gets them wholesale.

Tune-ups and tires, etc. for the two bikes run about $300 a year.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am fortunate enough to be able to work out at a fitness center that is on a small Army base about 10 minutes away. I guess my cost is a few bucks a month for gas.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I am fortunate enough to be able to work out at a fitness center that is on a small Army base about 10 minutes away. I guess my cost is a few bucks a month for gas.
Yep - Mall walking in winter, around the neighborhood if I wish to save gas, or a 1/4 mile drive to the park in spring/summer for the bimbo/sports bra view while I er power walk.

Tennis shoes are too expensive - crepe sole loafers or deck shoes from Wal Mart or Payless.

heh heh heh - Need to do more - one of these days.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Gym was $250 for 9 months, I'll stretch that to two years by freezing membership in spring, when I start biking. $1400 for recumbent bike, couple of hundred on walking/hiking shoes, shirts, shorts, $400 dog that gets me walking pretty much daily. Don't even want to think about hunting and fishing expenses. ........Shredder
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

maybe $100 a year

wife got me some Gilad DVD's and 45 minutes in front of the TV is a nice workout doing weights and pushups. since my 6 month old takes up a lot of time i've been doing simple things like taking him for a 2 mile walk to get some exercise. and it's good for him as well because he usually takes a nap and sunlight is one of the best ways to build vitamin D which is good for immune system development
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #47

Hmm - free at the military gym - exercise machines, weight machines, free weights galore - running track as well as mapped out runs by mileage. Could also take free exercise classes.

Badminton at local gym - costs $20 for 20 visits, $15 for tube of birds (feather and cork only). Bought special court shoes last year, $60, husband spent $60 as well. We used to play twice a week, but have tapered off due to work schedules. Kicks our butts as we are playing very good Asian players....

Bought a new set of downhill skis last year - $350 - kept last set for 10 years. Bought new pair of downhill skiboots two years ago - $300 - kept last pair for 15 years. Skied in Chile last summer and at Tahoe this year - ski free for the most part at Tahoe - Chile wasn't cheap.

Haven't bought workout clothes in awhile....still use the bunch I bought a few years ago. Go to professional conferences and run the 5Ks for 'free' t-shirts :-) Have quite a few of those.

Hike in the summer - have hiking boots I bought two years ago - $60. Gas to go to hikes and state and national park fees - average about $80 a year.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

After years of spending $100-$200/year for swim training and random walking shoes and swim or walking entry fees, I broke down and went whole hog this year.

Hi tech fancy calorie counter $600. It measures calories consumed 24x7 you down loaded the data into PC and then enter what food you ate. As long as calories burned is greater than calories consume weight goes.
4 months small group personal trainer (6 people) $500
Nordic walking poles $100.

So far it has cost me about $150/lb, but my eating out bills have dropped!

I figure I'll need at least another $500 worth of training/gym memberships.

But if really gets me to lose 40 lbs, money well spent.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #49

We have a stairmaster, recumbent bike, and free weights; all were paid for years ago.

My main form of exercise right now is dancing. Costs me a few bucks for dance pants and tops, and every week or two I download 2 or 3 songs from itunes. I do my own choreography and work out in my living room. New shoes every once in a while (~$50-60).

Every once in a while I go to the YMCA and take a step or water aerobics class ($3 for nonmembers). I'm thinking of maybe trying to start a dance fitness class there for fun...if so, membership would be free.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was wondering if you were going back to the well for another bucket of Kool-Aid. v2.0 so to speak.
The thread was pure curiosity.

I suppose in a bizarro world I might go into the fitness business in 10 years or something like that. I might have a slight interest in being a personal trainer, though I kind of doubt that. I have also done a lot of thinking about whether (if given the opportunity), I'd like to run a martal arts studio. The answer has been coming back as a no -- in ten years I should be a 4th dan TKD master, but I think there's a good chance I'd spoil my enjoyment of martial arts if I did it as a business. And I should be close enough to retirement in ten years that the appeal of quitting my day job to do it won't be that great.

Pretty big range of expenses here, though most are, not surprisingly, pretty frugal.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
I have also done a lot of thinking about whether (if given the opportunity), I'd like to run a martal arts studio. The answer has been coming back as a no -- in ten years I should be a 4th dan TKD master, but I think there's a good chance I'd spoil my enjoyment of martial arts if I did it as a business.
I watch our instructors and ask myself the same question every week, and I keep coming up with the same issues. I love to teach and I love to watch students spread their wings & fly-- but it's not worth the liability insurance, the bureaucracy, and the other attendant hassles.

The best deal would be teaching under someone who's willing to deal with all those hassles, but then it starts to become just another job.

Martial arts have to be taught for love because they're sure not gonna make anyone rich.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I watch our instructors and ask myself the same question every week, and I keep coming up with the same issues. I love to teach and I love to watch students spread their wings & fly-- but it's not worth the liability insurance, the bureaucracy, and the other attendant hassles.

The best deal would be teaching under someone who's willing to deal with all those hassles, but then it starts to become just another job.

Martial arts have to be taught for love because they're sure not gonna make anyone rich.
Agreed. I teach 2-3 times per week, but instructors in our school are not paid. For me, it is part of my personal training -- I understand things much better when I'm continually explaining them. There really are a lot of joys in watching students improve.

But yeah, the down sides can be brutal, since I've seen first hand how much work goes into a club. Were I currently qualified to do so and had the opportunity, I think there's a good chance I would quit my job and make a go at it anyway. Since I'm not, and by the time I would be I'd probably be only 2-3 years away from retirement, it just wouldn't be worth it at that point in my life.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting to see how much gym memberships at the Y cost. I am just starting to work out again and figure it's time to ante up and join a gym. I can get a discounted corporate membership @ NYSC here in NYC for $75 a month. There are about 100 of these in the city, closest one 2 blocks from my apt. Thought I could do better at the Y, which is 4 blocks from my house. There are only 5 of them in the entire city. I was shocked. Costs $90 a month.

Only good thing about the Y is its a month to month membership while NYSC you have to sign up for a year.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We spend about $80/mnth combined for the gym. $2,000 each last year for new bikes (should last a long time). New snowboard boots for $159. No new windsurfing gear in a few years but I am tempted by kite sailing. Talk me out of it Targa Dave.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

24 hour fitness has served me well.

I paid $732 for a three year, refundable membership (refundable if I moved somewhere without a 24hr fitness facility). Lifetime membership is $50 a year after the first three years with a maximum of ~10% yearly increase in price. It is hard for me to fathom a much cheaper longterm deal. So far access to the gym has been convenient. I am sure I spend more on gas driving to the gym than actually working out there.

I have been involved in the physical fitness world for more than five years now. Food is the largest cost of a healthy lifestyle for me. I still spend $300-400 on food per month (negligible overall expense on supplements). And I still have to regard that as one of my best investments. Pinching some pennies, I know I can eat well for about $150 bucks a month if I have to.

Sports activity related costs probably run about $500 a year.

My primary goal is long term cardiovascular fitness and longevity concerns. Prophylactic approach if you will combined with some fun bodybuilding and muscle accretion/maintenance on the side.