Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Another good source for omega is sardines. There are sardines and there are sardines. I like King Oscar and a brand from Morocco called Granadaisa.
Yes! And Wal Mart can be thanked for keeping us land-locked folks happy.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Be careful about how much you stock... Rancidity is a constant danger. Let me Google that for you:

"fish oil" "shelf life" - Google Search
Good point. I checked the bottles and the label says they are good until 2014. One of the reasons I stocked up on the ones on sale is that DH says he may start taking them, too. These are name brand (Nature's Bounty and Nature Made) and I keep them in a closet (cool and dark) until I need them.

I have no sense of smell and wouldn't notice if they were rancid but DH has an excellent sniffer and watches out for me when it comes to danger signs in foods.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes! And Wal Mart can be thanked for keeping us land-locked folks happy.
I didn't know they carried them...WalMart isn't big on groceries here yet but that section is growing. Thanks...

Here's one back at you...If you're a member, Costco gives a pretty good price on King Osar and their Kirkland canned salmon is excellent.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Costco gives a pretty good price on King Osar and their Kirkland canned salmon is excellent.
I don't recall the brand, but the Costco here in Hawaii has had frozen Alaska Wild Salmon fillets for a while, which are very good.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords, the #1 thing about Hawaii that I always miss is Poki. I could live on it... every meal, every day. (Oh! Now, I think on it , I have for weeks at a time.)
I'm lunching Friday at a seafood buffet, so I'll have an extra scoop on your behalf!

Funny, I never seem to get around to buying poke to eat at home. I'll have to see if it's in the commissary or Costco.

Quote:
We have salmon regularly. One way the Mrs. cooks the salmon is skin side up (not down) until about 10 minutes before it's done, then she removes the skin (gives it to the dog) and pours cream over it and puts it back in the oven for the last 10 mins. It's really very good.
Another good source for omega is sardines. There are sardines and there are sardines. I like King Oscar and a brand from Morocco called Granadaisa. Again...it goes on top of a crispy salad with olives, olive oil and vinegar. Great for lunch. I'll bet if there're any french member on the forum we could get some good tips on preparing fresh sardines.
Spouse and I are among the world's laziest cooks. I know I'm surrounded by fresh fish but I just buy the frozen filets, thaw two of them, and heat them in the convection microwave for 14 min at 400 degrees. I'll have one for lunch that day and freeze the other to reheat another day. I rotate among mahimahi, ahi, salmon, and (when it's available) swordfish.

Of course if someone's cleaning out their fridge, or if they need help with their boat, or if they're trying to recoup the cost of gas from their last weekend fishing trip... I'm there for them.

I've tried sardines in tomato sauce but I've just never acquired the taste. Maybe again someday.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm lunching Friday at a seafood buffet, so I'll have an extra scoop on your behalf!

Funny, I never seem to get around to buying poke to eat at home. I'll have to see if it's in the commissary or Costco.

Spouse and I are among the world's laziest cooks. I know I'm surrounded by fresh fish but I just buy the frozen filets, thaw two of them, and heat them in the convection microwave for 14 min at 400 degrees. I'll have one for lunch that day and freeze the other to reheat another day. I rotate among mahimahi, ahi, salmon, and (when it's available) swordfish.

Of course if someone's cleaning out their fridge, or if they need help with their boat, or if they're trying to recoup the cost of gas from their last weekend fishing trip... I'm there for them.

I've tried sardines in tomato sauce but I've just never acquired the taste. Maybe again someday.
Sardines in olive oil added to a leafy salad with a bit of vinegar.

Smoked kippers on whole grain bread...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'll have to see if it's in the commissary or Costco.
Quote:
Poke (English pronunciation: /poʊˈkeɪ/) is a raw fish salad served as an appetizer in Hawaiian cuisine.
Poke (Hawaii) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Costco in Hawaii Kai has a separate poke counter manned by a Japanese-appearing person who will give you samples of the dozen or so varieties he has to sell. He persuaded me a couple of weeks ago to try wasabi poke, which I really didn't care for, but I like most poke. Grocery stores here usually have poke, also.

(I think the correct English pronunciation is /ˈpoʊki/.)

Tako (octopus) poke with tomatoes, green onion, maui onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, sea salt, and chili pepper.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Grocery stores here usually have poke, also.
Yeah, when I was there last (has it been five years already?), I found that Tamura's in Waianae (54-316 Kamehameha Highway) was the best. The Tamura Supermarket in the city was all right but (at the time) up the coast was "best in the islands" by far.

Ah, any of those pickups parked along the highway -- those with the "catch of the day" signs -- sold poke to die for. (Yikes! Don't get started on the Shrimp Vendors on the opposite coast -- my mouth is watering just writing that.)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #29

Two 1000mg capsules a day but have been thinking of going to three per day. I don't enjoy fish, so I rarely eat it. I want to keep the cholesterol in check so I don't have any issues acquiring private healthcare. So far so good.

R
Old 11-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I want to keep the cholesterol in check so I don't have any issues acquiring private healthcare. So far so good.
There is a lot of conflicting data on exactly how much a person can (or should) control cholesterol. For instance, this off-the-top-of -my-head Google search:

cholesterol +atkins - Google Search

Quote:
From USAToday in 2002:

For years, the Atkins formula of sparing carbohydrates and loading up on taboo fatty foods has been blasphemy to many in the health establishment, who view it as a formula for cardiovascular ruin.

But now, some of the same researchers who long scoffed at the diet are putting it to the test, and they say the results astonish them. Rather than making cholesterol soar, as they feared, the diet actually appears to improve it, and volunteers take off more weight.
But for in depth analysis the "bible" is still:

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease

Here is an earlier thread on this subject:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rbs-48983.html

TAl had a wonderful review of the above book that is located somewhere that I couldn't quickly find.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One 1200 mg tablet a day for me on faith. No other pills of any kind. Got off statins 2 years ago due to muscle deterioration.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatika View Post
I don't think I could handle taking straight fish oil by spoon.
Try one with a slight lemon taste.
My kids love their "green grease" in the winter as they call it:
Amazon.com: Carlson Laboratories - Kid's Norwegian Cod Liver Oil Lemon, 8 fl oz liquid: Health & Personal Care
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #33

Quote:
I don't trust amateur enthusiasts writing on scientific subjects. However, I see that I have mostly been following Taubes' recommendations, eating few foods with "bad calories" (I do have fresh pineapple and orange juice occasionally). It's been accidental, since I was just trying to reduce calories.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

The twinkie diet guy saw his levels improve greatly. Maybe it's the cream filling?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't trust amateur enthusiasts writing on scientific subjects.
That is hardly an accurate characterization of Gary Taubes.

Ha
Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is hardly an accurate characterization of Gary Taubes.
I don't know his background, other than the summary of the reference calling him a science writer. Someone paid to write about science is not being paid to do science -- so he is an amateur at science. I haven't read the book. In the review at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/bo.../Kolata-t.html Gina Kolata says
Quote:
Taubes ignores what diabetes researchers say is a body of published papers documenting a complex system of metabolic controls that, in the end, assure that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. He also ignores definitive studies done in the 1950s and ’60s by Jules Hirsch of Rockefeller University and Rudolph Leibel of Columbia, which tested whether calories from different sources have different effects.
Suppressing research that doesn't support your thesis is an amateur's mistake in science.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the review at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/bo.../Kolata-t.html Gina Kolata says

Suppressing research that doesn't support your thesis is an amateur's mistake in science.
Now, let's be fair.

let me Google that for you:

"gina kolata" +"gary taubes" - Google Search

Quote:
The Letters section of today’s New York Times Book Review carried Gary Taubes’ rebuttal to Gina Kolata’s self-serving review of Good Calories, Bad Calories. I was glad to see Gary strike back the way he did because it saved me some work.

In her review published earlier this month Kolata took Taubes to task for his conclusion that all calories don’t act the same in terms of how easily they make one gain weight. She accused him of ignoring specific studies done 50 years ago that she felt showed decisively that a calorie really is just a calorie irrespective of what it’s made of.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know his background, other than the summary of the reference calling him a science writer. Someone paid to write about science is not being paid to do science -- so he is an amateur at science. I haven't read the book. In the review at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/bo.../Kolata-t.html Gina Kolata says
Actually, I don't care at all what you do or what you think, what you eat or don't eat. Your glib admission that you don't know anything about his background before calling him an amateur says all that needs to be said.
He never claimed to be doing science, and if truth is told 90% of the "scientists" doing nutritional work aren't really doing science either. They wouldn't know how.

Taubes claims to be be, and is, a science journalist. Your accusation of suppressing evidence is very peculiar. How could a journalist suppress evidence? He isn't a journal editor, or an NIH board, or a grant committee. These are in a position to suppress evidence, not free lance journalists, who are almost as close to powerless as retired folks.

I have no way of knowing what your personal stake in this may be, or if you just like to argue. In any case, if you or any of your loved ones have any sort of a weight problem, give his articles/books a look.

Ha
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Now, let's be fair.
I was interested to read Taubes' reply to Kolata. I don't have an opinion on the controversy between them -- I was remarking that contrary views and research should have been discussed by Taubes. There are some other references to Taubes and references to appraisals of his work on diet in the Wikipedia: Gary Taubes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
He never cleaimed to be doing science, ...
No, you're the one who implied he was a professional scientist when you criticized me for calling him an amateur. I wasn't replying to Taubes -- I was replying to you.