Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plain water? Seldom any.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In all fairness, I don't think there is complete consensus about anything in the wonderful world of health.
To borrow from science writer David Berreby -

Quote:
science is never completely decided; it is always in a state of change and self-questioning, and it offers no final answers. There is never a moment in science when all doubts are gone and all questions settled, which is why ‘wait for settled science’ is an argument advanced by industries that want no interference with their status quo.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

I drink 2 liters a day minimum of water, 3 if I'm outside a lot in the summer. The rare day I don't, I wont feel as well the next day. No sodas for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never measured it, but it seems like I drink a lot of water.

As far as the view that you get the water you need from food, maybe - but I tend to think that drinking water can cut down on some of the food cravings. Perhaps some of those cravings for food are cravings for water. You could satiate them with just water, no extra calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
To borrow from science writer David Berreby -
Quote:
science is never completely decided; it is always in a state of change and self-questioning, and it offers no final answers. There is never a moment in science when all doubts are gone and all questions settled, which is why ‘wait for settled science’ is an argument advanced by industries that want no interference with their status quo.
Along those lines, I read that you know when a scientific issue is settled - no one (with actual knowledge in the field) bothers to seriously question it anymore. So claiming something is settled is unneeded, as no one is disagreeing with you!

I guess there are exceptions though - wasn't it accepted that bacteria could not survive in the stomach, and it took some strong-willed scientist to disprove this? OK, found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall

Quote:
It has been claimed that the H. pylori theory was ridiculed by the establishment scientists and doctors, who did not believe that any bacteria could live in the acidic environment of the stomach. Marshall has been quoted as saying in 1998 that "(e)veryone was against me, but I knew I was right."[10] On the other hand, it has also been argued that medical researchers showed a proper degree of scientific scepticism until the H. pylori hypothesis could be supported by evidence.[11]
I guess the bacteria itself reduce the acidity so they can survive -

Quote:
A symptom of Helicobacter pylori infection which neutralizes and decreases secretion of gastric acid to aid its survival in the stomach.[2]
-ERD50
Old 08-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

As I recall, several years ago a number of marathon runners were suspected to have gotten hyponatremia from drinking too much water, and some of them died. At the time the advice was to drink a certain number of ounces per hour while running. For some people, mainly women of smaller stature who run slowly (and therefore are on a marathon course for a long time) following this advice resulted in over hydration, raising the risk of hyponatremia. At the time I ran a lot of marathons, and being a slow female runner, I followed the story. Before too long the advice on how to hydrate for the marathon changed, and I began seeing the advice to drink only when thirsty.

It seems to me that people running races dehydrated are (a lot) more common than those running over hydrated, but since the consequences of over hydration can be so severe, it is important to be aware of the problem.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Obviously enough.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I'm the worst. Does coke count.
I hope it does. So does DW.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #28

I drink water all day long most of the time with ice.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a new refrigerator this year with a water and ice in the door feature. I though that I would really up my intake but I think it went down. I used to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge and drink that up. Now it is too much bother to get a glass and fill it I guess because I do that without noticing. I'm back to the brita pitcher again.
I don't drink soda or other beverages much. I usually don't drink even 8oz at a time so 4 cups a day probably.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I'm the worst. Does coke count.
I did not have any water today.
According to WedMD, sodas do count along with many other liquids, but it does mention the dehydrating effects of alcohol:
What Counts as Water? How to Stay Hydrated

Counting all of these, I am probably getting half my body weight in ounces per day.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The amounts of water that you need depends on your activity level, ambient temperature, ambient humidy, clothing, fitness, etc. If you are sedentary and live in a moderate climate, 64 oz of fluid is more than you need, if you work as a landscaper in Phoenix, it's way less than you need. For most healthy people (not everybody!), there's no need to either force fluids or restrict fluids and no particular health benefit either. If you're prone to kidney stones, take certain medications, etc., then the advice may be different.
Exactly. The amount of water a person needs in a day can vary greatly depending on several factors.

My general rule of thumb is to drink enough to ensure that I have to pee every 3-4 hours.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of to how much to drink when physically active, I had a very difficult training run the other day, over 4 Hours. I had to carry my own water and carried and drank about 110ozs. I do tend to drink a lot when exercising and do generally feel thirsty the whole time. Matter of fact, during a similar run a couple of weeks ago, I also had some gels and my mouth felt very, very dry. This time I used a powder which included 650mg of sodium among other things per packet and used 3 packets.

After that run, I had a Trenti (Starbucks) IceT and had about 12 additional ozs of Tea. We stopped at a restaurant and I drank two large lemonades. The next time I went to the bathroom, my urine was still a bit dark. So it would seem that despite all I drank, I didn't drink enough.

On non-run days I drink about 64oz of liquid and my urine is normally fine except in the morning when I first wake up.

cd :O)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'll eat when I'm hungry, and I'll drink when I'm dry,
And the moonshine don't kill me I'll live 'til I die.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #34

A Lot!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #35
gone traveling

I drink about 24 to 36 ounces a day, my 90 yo fil only drinks the water from the ice cubes in his manhattans and martinis, ymmv,,,

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughpile View Post
I drink about 24 to 36 ounces a day, my 90 yo fil only drinks the water from the ice cubes in his manhattans and martinis, ymmv,,,

Wise man. Probably knows what fish do in it.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I drink a lot more now days. Trying to shed a few pounds and keeping my belly full of water seems to curb my appetite a little.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #38

bjorn2bwild, Thanks for posting your original link. I'd never heard of drinking too much water. I don't drink much water (fluids) and the doctors finally thought that my almost daily migraines were caused by dehydration. I never feel thirsty and can go for long periods of time not drinking anything. I started drinking more fluids and the migraines decreased. When I'm walking/hiking with friends they have to remind me to drink my water. In the summer, they drink 1 to 2 bottles of water to my 1/4 of a bottle of water (or less) for 5 to 6 miles. If I drink more than that 1/4 bottle I feel sick (sometimes throw up water) and feel like the waters just sitting in my gut, I feel sloshy. I have similar reaction when I'm mowing and weed whacking and trying to stay hydrated. While reading your link "drink when thirsty" I did a little research and found this link about being waterlogged and it mentions the sloshy feeling I get. So I'll be asking my doctor about this the next time I'm there.
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/seven-clear-symptoms-of-exercise-associated-hyponatremia
I'm always amazed at the things I learn about on this site.