Join Early Retirement Today

How much will health/dental cost me?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

How much will health/dental cost me?

I am uneasy not knowing what I will need to pay for health and dental insurance, can anybody give me a rough idea? Retired last summer, but I am covered by dental/medical until mid-summer this year (2013), then I am on my own. With a net worth of $1.2M I am wondering if I could just buy catastrophic $10,000 deductible insurance (in case I break a leg, have a stroke, etc) and for most things medical just pay out of pocket (a perk of that is i could choose my 'doc' as I want to, e.g. i could see an ND instead of an MD) for $200-$300/month?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf18 View Post
I am uneasy not knowing what I will need to pay for health and dental insurance, can anybody give me a rough idea? Retired last summer, but I am covered by dental/medical until mid-summer this year (2013), then I am on my own. With a net worth of $1.2M I am wondering if I could just buy catastrophic $10,000 deductible insurance (in case I break a leg, have a stroke, etc) and for most things medical just pay out of pocket (a perk of that is i could choose my 'doc' as I want to, e.g. i could see an ND instead of an MD) for $200-$300/month?

although you might be able to buy this kind of plan now starting in 2014 under obamacare this kind of plan will not be allowed.

why don'tyou contact the local insurance companies in your area-or go to their websites and price an individual policy

Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These might be a good place to start, lots of good info...

(FAQ archive) Buying Private Health Insurance

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I pay my own dental insurance to the tune of $35 a month. That covers two cleanings a year, 80% of fillings and 20% of crowns. Office visit is also covered. I'm thinking of dropping it because it reÓlly isn't that good. If you can find something better go for it but at least this gives you some idea of what is out there.

Health insurance is a much tougher one to figure out. $689 a month as a single coverage is mine. It's pretty comprehensive but again, perhaps that helps give you an idea of cost.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
although you might be able to buy this kind of plan now starting in 2014 under obamacare this kind of plan will not be allowed.
Hmm, not so sure on that. Looks like there will be a 'Bronze' plan one could buy similar to a catastrophic plan.
Could possible misunderstanding on ObamaCare cloud Supreme Court deliberations? | Fox News

Quote:
why don't you contact the local insurance companies in your area-or go to their websites and price an individual policy
Maybe. Just that I know once they have your contact info they will use all powers to annoy me with telemarketers and all.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm 53 and pay around $300/month for individual health policy with $5000 deductible.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post
I pay my own dental insurance to the tune of $35 a month. That covers two cleanings a year, 80% of fillings and 20% of crowns. Office visit is also covered. I'm thinking of dropping it because it reÓlly isn't that good. If you can find something better go for it but at least this gives you some idea of what is out there.

Health insurance is a much tougher one to figure out. $689 a month as a single coverage is mine. It's pretty comprehensive but again, perhaps that helps give you an idea of cost.
the importan thing with dental coverage is that it controls what can be charged on services.

provider has to supply at contracted price which is mostly much cheaper than cash billings
Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
I'm 53 and pay around $300/month for individual health policy with $5000 deductible.

under obamacare this kind of policy and deductible will not be allowed
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Hmm, not so sure on that. Looks like there will be a 'Bronze' plan one could buy similar to a catastrophic plan.
Could possible misunderstanding on ObamaCare cloud Supreme Court deliberations? | Fox News

Maybe. Just that I know once they have your contact info they will use all powers to annoy me with telemarketers and all.

i live in mass. obamacare is romneycare. max deductible 2000 then co-isurance.
i think thats what your reading. in mass chepest bronze plan((not tied to 1 clinic) is 485 per month-2000 deductible-up to 5000 co-insurance.

people who have money are going to be shocked at Obamacares prices

go to mass. health connector-it will tell you not open enrollment but you can still price policy-use any mass zip code and enter some info. name not required just date of birth and zip code-look at prices and deduct/coinsur
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in Massachusetts I'm very happy with what Romneycare has done for the Commonwealth, but it will be a bit of a change for people as it gets rolled-out across the country. Take Gerry's advice and check out the Mass Health Connector to see the prices we pay here. These changes shift around the costs a bit. For example, between 2006 and 2010, the use of emergency rooms for non-emergency reasons fell nearly 4 percent, representing a big savings since using emergency rooms for routine care is far more expensive than visiting a doctor.

I wish, though, that there was a way to use a certain amount of money in retirement accounts to buy a "health care annuity" that will pay for everything Medicare and good Medicare supplement will pay for, for life, backed by the government. That kind of peace of mind will make it so much easier for older folks to focus on other concerns.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

There is a calculator here

National Health Care Calculator

As I understand it the high deductible plans are not outlawed but restricted to under 30s and those with a hardship exemption.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know if HSA's/high deductible plans will be available under the HCA? From some of the comments, it sounds like the Mass plan DOES NOT allow high deductible plans. If the only option for individuals with assets trying to retire early is to get a low deductible plan and pay out the nose, then the ACA is actually not helping those wanting to retire early.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

I have an HDHC plan in Massachusetts. (I also have secondary insurance that covers the $2500 individual deductible, but that isn't required - just my choice.)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I have an HDHC plan in Massachusetts. (I also have secondary insurance that covers the $2500 individual deductible, but that isn't required - just my choice.)
Thanks for the input. That's very good to know. I'm a big fan of high deductible b/c we are not big users of healthcare but would never consider going without HI. Do you have an HSA and/or do you know if that will still be an option with the ACA.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
The bronze level plan covers 60% of the actuarial value, much less than a catastrophic plan. There have been a few indications that a higher deductible is being considered but, this close to start date, I doubt a major change would be announced.

One of the issues with catastrophic coverage is most medical service providers charge much higher rates for self paying customers and have much lower rates for insurance companies. This pushes consumers unwillingly into insurance plans and makes self-funded coverage much more risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Does anyone know if HSA's/high deductible plans will be available under the HCA? From some of the comments, it sounds like the Mass plan DOES NOT allow high deductible plans. If the only option for individuals with assets trying to retire early is to get a low deductible plan and pay out the nose, then the ACA is actually not helping those wanting to retire early.
HSA and HD plans will be available, but specific levels of cost sharing are not yet known.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #16

Here's a link to a KFF paper on actuarial value, with input and estimates from some of the major actuarial consulting firms. It shows a table with their estimates of how different levels of AV would translate into specific $ amounts of cost sharing. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8177.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks MichaelB. In my mind, the ability of an early retiree to use an HSA is a way to offset the cost of buying HI since the amount placed in an HSA reduces taxes (without having to have "earned" income). I think this is especially advantageous for those who do not use the healthcare system often and therefore are not going to meet the deductible in most years. At least, that's my understanding.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the input. That's very good to know. I'm a big fan of high deductible b/c we are not big users of healthcare but would never consider going without HI. Do you have an HSA and/or do you know if that will still be an option with the ACA.
Because of the secondary insurance, I'm not eligible for an HSA. I see no reason to believe I couldn't have an HSA if it weren't for the secondary insurance but I haven't checked into it.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
may i aks which one the HDHC plan
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
how high a deductible or should i say what do you consider high. mass has max deductible. i thought it was 2000 another here says 2500. i don't think any higher