A couple of times a week and I'm Male 6 6.19%
Once a Week and I'm Female 3 3.09%
Once a Week and I'm Male 3 3.09%
You're supposed to wash your hair? 1 1.03%
Other (please comment) 6 6.19%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do you Wash Your Hair
Old 09-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Often Do you Wash Your Hair

I was reading the How Often Do You Shower Thread, and for those who said they showered every day or multiple times a day, I wondered how often they washed their hair?

I personally don't shower everyday particularly if I don't go anywhere or work out. I did when I was working at the office full-time.

But, I am wondering -- especially for those who shower a lot -- how often do you wash your hair?

If you don't wash your hair every time you shower, do you just sort of move around in the shower to avoid getting your hair wet or do you wear a shower cap or what?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What hair?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I didn't answer the poll since i'm not sure how to answer it. I wash my hair every time I take a shower. I take a shower anytime I leave the house or after 2 days of no shower even if I don't leave the house. I often don't leave the house for several days in a row especially in the colder weather months. I take a shower after a couple days mostly because of my hair feeling greasy/oily even though I have a very short hair style.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What hair?
+1
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

Let's go for a trifecta and run a poll of bowel movements !

A poll could look something like this;

How many BMs do you have during the course of your day ?

Holy Crap !
Old 09-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Let's go for a trifecta and run a poll of bowel movements !

A poll could look something like this;

How many BMs do you have during the course of your day ?

Holy Crap !
And speaking of breakfast....

Non-GMO, gluten free, organic, vegan breakfast cereal – Holy Crap Cereal
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wash my hair every 2-3 days. When I shower in between, I wear a shower cap. I save them from hotel stays.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I shower daily but I wash my hair every two days. My stylist would prefer if I went 3 days before washing, but it gets too oily and I like fresh smelling hair. I used to save hotel shower caps as well, but they are thinner than the ones you can buy 6/$1. Hotel caps only last 1-2 weeks and the ones I buy last 1-2 months so I splurge on that purchase 😝

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I wash my hair every three days. I use a shower cap from the dollar store.

As I get older (I'm 57) my hair gets dryer so I use a gentle shampoo and a good conditioner.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have dry scalp that gets very itchy in the winter months so should not be washing my hair every day. But the roots get slightly greasy looking on the second day. My dermatologist recommends using a dry shampoo in between regular shampoos to improve the appearance.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not uncommon for me to wash multiple times per day. My morning workouts leave me drenched in sweat as do some of my afternoon activities such as mowing or playing sports.
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I take a shower I wash my hair, and that could be twice per day.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #13

I voted other. I shower 2 or 3 times a day (so far 2 today) but I don't wash my hair (long) every time I shower. Depends if it gets dirty. Got tree sap in my hair today so used nail polish remover to get out the sap then washed. Had already washed it first thing this morning. If I'm not washing it I put it in a sort of pony tail on top of my head.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I try to go to the gym daily but it's only open 5X/week. I always shower there after a w/o so I voted daily/M. Always wash hair @ gym.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #15

I'll be the outlier here. I tried to go entirely shampoo free (google "no poo" to see what it's about - there are products to use an alternative to shampoo.). I took some time - but I managed to add a day at a time in between shampoos until I could go for 1 week to 10 days before my hair/scalp gets oily gross.

FWIW - this solved my dry scalp issues entirely... and my hair is super healthy and not greasy.

I have waist length thick hair - so when I get the hair wet it can take hours to air dry, and I hate hairdryers because they're so bad for the hair.

I don't use shower caps - just twist it and pin it on top of my head with a scrunchy/clippy thing. The sides and front get damp - but not soaked through when I soak my face under the water.

Shampoo tends to strip the oils from your hair, and your body reacts by producing extra... so the more you shampoo, the oilier your hair gets... but you have to stretch out time between shampoos gradually - because that greasy hair thing will drive you nuts.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

When I was working I took more time with my hair (sort of a medium length bob). I am female btw. I washed my hair daily M-F then. Now that I am retired I am on an EOD schedule unless I am going to an event and want the big hair look.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'll be the outlier here. I tried to go entirely shampoo free

I'm interested in the 'poo free movement, but I admit it scares me a bit! Maybe once I retire and my grooming isn't regulated...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting me that at this point there are 16 votes for daily washing and they are all men, while no women shampoo daily.

When I was working full-time in an office I didn't wash my hair every day, but it was at least every other day and sometimes more often.

When I was younger I had oily hair and I did wash it often trying to get it to be not as oily. I think now that as rodi says I was just making it worse.

Interestingly, after pregnancy I found that hair was never as oily again. Now, my hair tends to be dry. My hair dresser fairly strongly argues in favor of washing once a week at most. I probably end up washing a couple of times a week.

I don't use a shower cap. I mostly use my handheld shower nozzle and just avoid getting my hair wet. But, actually, reading of others using a shower cap I may try that out.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Never.

I'm completely bald.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have to shower just to get moving. If i dont shower I will sit in my chair all day. Usually three times a day in the summer as after I am active outside I don't like sitting in my sweat. Im a guy so the hair gets washed everytime too. Winter I can only tolerate once or twice a day. The old skin in the winter cant tolerate more frequent showering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote