Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you work out ?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

How often do you work out ?

I just finished reading " Younger next year for women " and it recommends working out six days a week . I've been going five days a week . Five days of cardio , three days of weights and two days of swimming and I feel this is enough . So how often do you work out ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just finished reading " Younger next year for women " and it recommends working out six days a week . I've been going five days a week . Five days of cardio , three days of weights and two days of swimming and I feel this is enough . So how often do you work out ?
Everyday. In fact I have been running almost everyday for 40 + years. Seriously, even on days that I am a bit tired I will go on a shorter run.

I am 52 weigh less than I did in HS. Still workout with my high school varsity track team. Bottom line the older we get the more exercise we need.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5 days a week in the gym, but weekends generally involve some sort of strenuous physical activity for at least one of the two days, so its more like 6 or 7.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lift weights every 2 days. 4 days a week I do hill interval or run on the treadmill. The other days I take long walks with the wife 6+miles. Walking to me now is more therapeutic mentally than "exercise". However that does me a world of good. Its nice to take a walk and talk.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Serious Cardio M/W/F. Strength Training T/Th/Sat.

I was taking Sun off but have recently started taking walks with DH now that the weather has gotten nice.

Your supposed to take 48 hours between strength training sessions so I stick to that. I usually do some sort of cardio work to warm up before I use the weights. I got into this following FIRE and it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It made our recent trip to South America a breeze since I did not tire so readily when sightseeing.

My goal is to get back on my bicycle and start using that for pleasure and quite frankly to cut down on using the car for errands that are relatively close to where I live.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #6

I generally do something everyday but I doubt there is much difference between six and seven days a week.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
So how often do you work out ?
Define "working out".
Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Define "working out".
High pulse rate , a lot of muttering under your breath , wearing mesh outfits at a health club , walking or running long lengths and not because your car broke down , swimming like a shark is behind you . raising an infant or having s-- like a teenager !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
wearing mesh outfits at a health club
You must go to a far more interesting club than I do.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #10

I think Id like to go where Moemg works out
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #11

Every day unless sick or on vacation....weights every other day and some sort of cardio (running, biking or swimming (but not all 3)) the other days. My brother in law who never works out likes to ask me if all of the workouts will make me live longer or just hurt longer. Ha! Ha!...Maybe I'll get the last laugh...There are recent studies showing that working out can help prevent Alzhiemers disease ( Preventing Alzheimer's: Exercise still best bet - MayoClinic.com ), so I feel like there is some benefit to it other than just feeling and looking better.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #12

Huh?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just finished reading " Younger next year for women " and it recommends working out six days a week .
I recently read it too since the women's version was the only one carried by my library. For some reason it convinced me to kick up my exercise regiment unlike previous reading. I have been lifting weights 3 days a week for decades. But the only cardio I got was walking and cycling, and the cycling is fairly recent. YNYFW convinced me to get serious about the cardio portion so I added eliptical sessions on cold days and cranked up the biking pace/hills when it is nice. I read the 6 days a week concept as flexible. The key is 4 days of cardio. The two or three days of weights could be on alternate days or could overlap. So you could do as few as four days and still cover your health needs. I think focusing on 6 days is probably a better objective to get your self in the habit of exercising.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
gone traveling

If you stop moving you get rusty.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #15

I'd like to get 6 days in a week, but to be honest it ends up averaging around 3 days per week (cardio).

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Resistance training 3 days/wk, cardio on alternate days 2-3 days/wk (don't like cardio much, except when I can ride my bike).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've converted from 3-4 days/week to 6 days per week based on YNY, and that is going well. And guess, what? Today (Sunday) is my day of rest -- no exercise today!!!

Concerning Weight Lifting > 2 Times Per Week

The book Strength Training Past 50 relates a study that showed that doing strength training 3 times/week had very little added benefit over strength training 2 times/week.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Six days a week, although I'd gladly devote at least one of them to sparring a couple rounds with Chris Crowley. Guy's ruined my life.

The phrase "Old Fred" has also become a part of our vocabulary...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Every day. Hiking, biking, or weights. But I may skip a day if I'm doing strenuous yard work
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
Administrator

6 days a week (Fridays I go to the pub). Weight training 2 days, 1 day flexibility (yoga), 2 days cardio.