Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Professionals will often only do a couple of muddings. And they mix their own vs. buying the premixed. The mud they use will be fast drying so they can apply both coats in one day. And the second coat will be mixed thinner than the first.

As far as dust, it's just part of the process. I use a shop vac to get it up quickly. Otherwise, it's not harmful stuff. An exhaust fan does help some in a window.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #22
I remember all too well our first attempt at installing drywall in our first house, taping and mudding, and then sanding. And sanding. And sanding. The classic rookie mistake of too much mud!

There was no money I felt better about spending when we built our current home than what we spent on the drywall installation. It was like magic, the boards were loaded in through a window (house is elevated) and the guys on stilts went to work. It was over in days.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I try not to use a vacuum as most vacuums will exhaust the very tiny particles into the room to drift around until inhaled. I suspect the silica is pretty bad to inhale.

I sweep up the dust by pushing it with a plastic scraper into a pan, or very slowly sweep, the idea is to not stir it into the air.
Then I damp mop with wet paper towels.

The damp sponge sanding works pretty well too.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I echo all that was previously said--especially use a damp sponge rather than sanding whenever possible. That works with the pre-mixed mud, I don't think it will work with the dry powder you mix yourself (that is "setting compound", and it cures by chemical reaction rather than drying like the pre-mixed stuff. Pros like it because it they can put on another coat in 20-45 minutes rather than waiting 12-24 hours)
Also, for a major project, they make a small unit that attaches to the hose before the ShopVac and catches a lot of the drywall dust using water (like a "hubbly-bubbly or "water pipe" used by those smoking the evil weed). It won't catch all the dust, but does a good job of catching enough to keep the HEPA filter in the Shop Vac from quickly clogging up. Here's a DIY version you can build with a 5 gallon bucket and some PVC fittings.
Finally, get some extra hose for the Shop Vac and attach it to the exhaust port, route it outside the house. Anything that gets past the HEPA filter and gaskets goes outside and it also creates a slight negative pressure in the room so that air from the rest of the house flows in rather than flowing out (and carrying dust with it.)

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote