Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post

Only sleep in positions that do not bring on the pain. Usually this will be either the stomach or the back.
Sleep position turned out to be very important in relieving my periodic lower back pain. However, my experience is different than this - sleeping on my stomach was the worst position, and sleeping on my back wasn't much better. I had to force myself to sleep on my side (either side is okay), with knees slightly bent, and also put a pillow between my legs, to force a more natural position for my hips. If you sleep on your side without the pillow, the hips are forced into a slightly unnatural position, putting a strain on your lower back muscles. Now I sleep with the pillow between the legs every night, and the back pain is gone. Occasionally I roll around too much and lose the pillow, and I can tell when I get up in the morning that my back is going to be a little stiff (and it is). You can purchase special sleep pillows for this purpose, but I found that just a regular pillow, folded in half, works best for me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wish I had something positive to report but the doctors I have seen so far in Houston have not been particularly helpful. No one seems to want to take the time to actually diagnose things, it's just "you've been through a lot - here's the first thing I thought of". I think I am becoming damaged goods that the doctors don't want to deal with.

I read the John Sarno book and while I believe some aspects of my pain could be stress/tension related, I think that has come out due to the underlying issue which is not so straightforward.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

From my experience I can recommend a supplement I use for a similar situation for me but the tingling numbness and pain on my right leg would occur when walking. I would have to stop and squat to stretch my lower back and everything would be fine again. I was told by my doctor I have a little arthritis which could be interfering with my sciatic nerve. I tried everything I could find including raisins soaked in brandy. I came across SAM-e, S-Adenosyl methionine, and it worked no more problem but I do have to continue to take it, I started this in my mid 40s I am now 52. You can look it up on Wikipedia for an explanation of therapeutic uses. I use the Nature Made brand, Sams Club or Costco has the best price and Costco has it on sale occasionally. If you try it you will need to use it for a few weeks to kick in. I use 400mg per day. If you continue to take it go to the Nature Made web page and register to get coupons. All of their products have a code on the box to enter in on their site so you can build up points. With SAM-e you can get $7 off! Good luck!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had back and leg pain on and off due to an accident in childhood. I've get complete relief for several weeks after my husband massages my back for about 10 minutes for two consecutive days when the pain starts. It goes away for weeks and sometimes months. The tightness sometimes give me a headache and the massages help that too. After I started receiving the massages, I remember thinking I didn't have to live with this all this time when all I had to do was get a massage. It was so amazing how effective they were. If you like, PM me and I'll explain to you how it's done.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Today had epidural....#3 so no more until March. Increased dosage of Gabapetin to 900 mg from 300 mg/day. Should continue with back streches only with PT. See Dr. again in 2 weeks. Sore tonight from procedure but ice helped and ready to take on the coming days with renewed hope that this coupled with TENS unit will start the path back to pain free or at least pain reduced living. Thanks for sharing concerns.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moving and Soup, I sure wish the best for you, and hope the problems can be fixed. I must confess if I read this 10 years ago, I ashamedly would have thought that you weren't "very tough". After going through 3 debilitating SHORT TERM lower back problems in the last few years, I cringe every time I read about someone who deals with this on a daily basis. I was bed bound for 3 weeks once, scared to even move. For anyone who has never had lower back problems, consider yourself fortunate. Before I had my episodes, I thought back pain was just stiffness in the joint. I never knew how incredibly painful and life changing this problem can have. Best of luck and don't give up.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Moving and soup, I didn't see yoga on either of your lists. While I've found that chiropractors can sometimes give temporary relief, I always feel much more straightened out by a good yoga session.

Soup - I'd really look into your car seat. You mentioned that you have a longer commute now, and something like that could really be putting some different strain on your body.

My mom has had chronic pain for pretty much 40 years. Good Luck in finding some relief.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #48

Am sure you've been to this site, but if not it may help.
Sciatica (Sciatic Nerve Pain) Symptoms, Relief, Treatment, Causes, Diagnosis - MedicineNet
Did you have a myogram? Sometimes irritated or swollen muscles can exacerbate the nerve pain.

That neurontin dose is pretty hefty... gotta be careful about psychological side effects. Basic use was for epilepsy.

One of the things that could prove interesting, is going to google for images of "muscles and nerves". It brings up close ups of where the nerves and muscles interact. By looking at the diagrams, sometimes it's possible to locate and trace the pain inside of one's own body. When DW had disc problem, she was able to see where the pain initiated, and find a way to move (sit or lie) that was least painful.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We are now into day 3 since the latest epidural, the increase dosage of Gapatentin, and the increased duration use of the TENS unit. While the lower and mid back are still a bit tender the leg pain is 95% gone! Wow....hard to believe after so much time of miserable almost unbearable pain. Go back for evaluation with docs on 12/31 and have PT again on 12/14. Keeping my fingers crossed....if we could maintain this the ability to cope is there....hoping for long term pain mgt success!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
We are now into day 3 since the latest epidural, the increase dosage of Gapatentin, and the increased duration use of the TENS unit. While the lower and mid back are still a bit tender the leg pain is 95% gone! Wow....hard to believe after so much time of miserable almost unbearable pain. Go back for evaluation with docs on 12/31 and have PT again on 12/14. Keeping my fingers crossed....if we could maintain this the ability to cope is there....hoping for long term pain mgt success!
That sounds like a huge improvement. You must be thrilled.

omni
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Two exercises I do, one is just laying stomach down on one of those exercise balls, - the gravity opens the hips up gently. Then on your back, put a soft basket ball size ball (or pillow) between your knees - feet on floor, and gently press your knees together, again, it pushes your hips out and releases some of the tension on your sciatic nerve.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
Sounds like you're getting a synergistic effect with the combinations. I've had a flare-up of nerve related pain after a hiatus of a few years. The neurologist upped the gabapentin from the previous 100 mg (yes, an amount that low first worked wonders) to 600 mg and now added a muscle relaxant at night. But the muscle relaxant is to be just for one week at a time.

The neurologist pointed out that somewhat like combinations of certain meds can be deadly the *combined* (not just increased dosage of one) gabapentin/muscle relaxant may be more likely to "trick" the brain into not firing the nerves.

Also find that introducing other sensations (like your TENS unit ?) are very helpful; anything to break the original transmission chain.

No real diagnosis or disease process here. A few years back the neurologist muttered something about potassium channels and high sensitivity. And she had to point out that like the rest of us our nerves do age. Goes without saying that stress makes it worse even if it isn't the precipitator.

Other than the meds, what I have found helpful is to dive into the internet to get suggestions that reflect consultations with a variety of doctors. Make a list of ideas; try them one by one until something clicks. Other than the quick on-line forays, then stay away from internet forums. What works for me is to get my brain to "forget" the nerve pathways.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all. Yes...another good day. Going for PT on SAT again. Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe a new beginning without pain!