Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brilliant! I took a break from the forum to have a couple drinks so my HDL would go up. Then I came back to the comp to do more research. OK, I've got a handle on my HDL. Now what to do about my triglycerides. Hmmm, how about this - "Another strategy to lower triglycerides is to reduce or eliminate all types of alcohol. Alcohol, even small amounts, can elevate triglycerides."

Guess I better go stick my finger down my throat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My last check up (annual) revealed a HDL of 104.
10 year range of 95 - 104.
I am vigilant about simple carbs and eat ALOT of beef(lean) & wild salmon....

My doctor (Harvard undergrad, Harvard med) said I will live to be 100, unless a crazy cow or horse takes me out....she has only seen one HDL higher than mine in her entire career - and yes, I eat lots of beef, although it is home raised, grass fed, and very lean.

I'll be happy to share my eating habits with anyone who is interested...

Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post
My last check up (annual) revealed a HDL of 104.
10 year range of 95 - 104.
I am vigilant about simple carbs and eat ALOT of beef(lean) & wild salmon....

My doctor (Harvard undergrad, Harvard med) said I will live to be 100, unless a crazy cow or horse takes me out....she has only seen one HDL higher than mine in her entire career - and yes, I eat lots of beef, although it is home raised, grass fed, and very lean.

I'll be happy to share my eating habits with anyone who is interested...
I'd be interested in your eating habits.
I'd also be interested in your LDL (not that it's any of my business).
To raise my HDL I had to raise my LDL a bit too although it's still supposedly in the good range, but that may be my own nasty genes.
I don't think there's anything I could do to get an HDL like yours, but I'd like to try within reason.

The !0 Oct 2008 Science magazine has a news article "Cholesterol Veers Off Script" that's pretty fascinating. It's subscription only so I'm not giving a link.

"in rural China, LDL levels hover around 60 or 70, and heart disease is about 15 times lower than in the United States.
Hunter-gatherer populations living today have LDL levels of about 70. "That would suggest that's what our species evolved to have," says Thomas Lee, a Harvard physician"

It goes on to say that although high HDL is correlated with low risk of heart disease, it's still not really known why that is, the mechanism is much more complex than how LDLs work, and a clinical trial of a drug that raised HDL had to be stopped because people were dying of apparently unrelated things like inflammation.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My cholesterol profile didn't improve until I abandoned the whole grain, stay away from meat program. The Ornish high carb, low fat approach had me becoming insulin resistant. Now, plenty of protein and good fats and complex carbs from peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, salads and fruits is the way I go. I made pasta, pizza, potatoes, and rice occasional treats rather than staples. The whole lipid hypothesis is up for grabs now anyway. It will take awhile for the inertia of big pharma's mega reliance on statin profits before some of the research takes hold. As Rich mentions, statins have some benefit but there is research that it may not be by lowering hdl. IMHO, it is the anti-inflammatory effect and there are other, more benign ways to mitigate inflammation.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I read somewhere in a health magazine, maybe Prevention mag, that "silent inflammation" is actually caused by a fungus that grows inside us. Maybe Rich can give us more info on that??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
The Ornish high carb, low fat approach had me becoming insulin resistant.
Not really surprising, since it's digested carbohydrates, not fat, that end up as glucose in your blood
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
My cholesterol profile didn't improve until I abandoned the whole grain, stay away from meat program. The Ornish high carb, low fat approach had me becoming insulin resistant. Now, plenty of protein and good fats and complex carbs from peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, salads and fruits is the way I go. I made pasta, pizza, potatoes, and rice occasional treats rather than staples. The whole lipid hypothesis is up for grabs now anyway. It will take awhile for the inertia of big pharma's mega reliance on statin profits before some of the research takes hold. As Rich mentions, statins have some benefit but there is research that it may not be by lowering hdl. IMHO, it is the anti-inflammatory effect and there are other, more benign ways to mitigate inflammation.
When I lived in California, I had a 3X weekly personal trainer -( worked with weights, did cardio,) plus I ran 5 miles 4-5 X weekly. The trainer completely changed my eating habits to Dr. Ornish....high carb, lo fat.
My fiance' was an MD, and was very vocal in his disapproval....
The Mediterranean diet was soooo much healthier, according to him...the body(esp. brain) needs fuel & not from simple carbs.
Well, after 6 months with my trainer & the lo fat, carb diet...I crashed...felt & looked like hell...no energy....yada yada...That was 10 years ago, and I basically follow the Mediterranean diet:
Vegetables esp. red,orange,yellow
Organic olive oil
Lean meat(beef & chicken) plus Alaskan wild salmon
Nuts: almonds, walnuts & pecans to munch on -
Blueberrys, strawberries on Kashi Go Lean cereal w/ organic milk
Very little bread....occasional whole grain wheat & brown rice
Sandwiches - use Wasa multigrain crispbread or Lavash bread (wraps)
No pasta or *potatoes...well, once in a great while
*I have a great recipe for "mashed" potatoes using cauliflower
For Mexican dishes, I substitute, black soybeans for beans & also
make a big pot of chili every week using the soybeans.
Lo sodium...I am horrified at the salt added to everything
check labels for sodium content...esp. soups & broths, canned tomatoes
Omlettes - 1 whole egg, plus 4 egg whites, olive oil, veggies, bit of cheese
Supplements: calcium, multi B vites esp. folic acid, Omega 3 fishoil
Drink - I'm trying to kick the a.m. coffee habit & substitute green tea..
it's a work in progress! Good ol' H20 during the day & a glass of Merlot with dinner....yeah I'm guilty of a nip of the single malt scotch every now & then esp. when the markets tank!!!
53 y.o gal
6' tall
125 - 130 lbs
HDL 100+
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #28

I had pretty low colesterall to beging with, but my good was low, and my bad was high. So, doc recommended exercise, fiber, loose weight and good fats.

I did Atkins and lost 30 to 35lbs. Ate lots of fiber based foods (south beach style) and nuts, walked a lot, etc.

Just had complete bloodwork, complemints of USAA life insurance application. Total 123, 49HDL 63LDL. Total didn't change much, but HDL LDL distribution did.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post
When I lived in California, I had a 3X weekly personal trainer -( worked with weights, did cardio,) plus I ran 5 miles 4-5 X weekly. The trainer completely changed my eating habits to Dr. Ornish....high carb, lo fat.
My fiance' was an MD, and was very vocal in his disapproval....
The Mediterranean diet was soooo much healthier, according to him...the body(esp. brain) needs fuel & not from simple carbs.
Well, after 6 months with my trainer & the lo fat, carb diet...I crashed...felt & looked like hell...no energy....yada yada...That was 10 years ago, and I basically follow the Mediterranean diet:
Vegetables esp. red,orange,yellow
Organic olive oil
Lean meat(beef & chicken) plus Alaskan wild salmon
Nuts: almonds, walnuts & pecans to munch on -
Blueberrys, strawberries on Kashi Go Lean cereal w/ organic milk
Very little bread....occasional whole grain wheat & brown rice
Sandwiches - use Wasa multigrain crispbread or Lavash bread (wraps)
No pasta or *potatoes...well, once in a great while
*I have a great recipe for "mashed" potatoes using cauliflower
For Mexican dishes, I substitute, black soybeans for beans & also
make a big pot of chili every week using the soybeans.
Lo sodium...I am horrified at the salt added to everything
check labels for sodium content...esp. soups & broths, canned tomatoes
Omlettes - 1 whole egg, plus 4 egg whites, olive oil, veggies, bit of cheese
Supplements: calcium, multi B vites esp. folic acid, Omega 3 fishoil
Drink - I'm trying to kick the a.m. coffee habit & substitute green tea..
it's a work in progress! Good ol' H20 during the day & a glass of Merlot with dinner....yeah I'm guilty of a nip of the single malt scotch every now & then esp. when the markets tank!!!
53 y.o gal
6' tall
125 - 130 lbs
HDL 100+
Slim, still have some estrogen?? HDL 100?? By the way everything on your list is on our list here. My numbers are not as big HDL is 60 but then again I am a 6 foot tall 178 pound Dude. Run about 10 miles a day and drink all kinds of alcohol.So much fun to enjoy life and do things that are well fun.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #30

My LDL numbers have distressed me:
LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

As yet, I haven't had the discipline to change my diet or lose weight but I do a lot of strenuous hiking and I do eat my veges. I hardly ever eat meat and only drink wine a couple times/week, but do eat a lot of simple carbs.

I read in one of the posts that reducing simple carbs can help reduce the LDL. Is that right? I hadn't heard that before.

Slim, do you eat any dairy? No skim milk lattes?

I've begun taking Slo Niacin, 500mg, at night. I'm also starting a low calorie regime. And adding some good things into my diet, like 10 almonds every day. I'll report back in about a month or so.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

As yet, I haven't had the discipline to change my diet or lose weight but I do a lot of strenuous hiking and I do eat my veges. I hardly ever eat meat and only drink wine a couple times/week, but do eat a lot of simple carbs.

I read in one of the posts that reducing simple carbs can help reduce the LDL. Is that right? I hadn't heard that before.

I've begun taking Slo Niacin, 500mg, at night. I'm also starting a low calorie regime. And adding some good things into my diet, like 10 almonds every day. I'll report back in about a month or so.

If you read DR Barry Sears the Omega zone he states that the ratio of HDL to triglycerides is a better indication of LDL. That the lower the ratio which you have less than 1 your LDL are large and fluffy and not prone to lodge in your coronary arteries. Example would be someone who has a HDL say 40 and triglycerides of 400 would be 10 and real issues with small dense LDL which IS a problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees Rule View Post
Slim, still have some estrogen?? HDL 100?? By the way everything on your list is on our list here. My numbers are not as big HDL is 60 but then again I am a 6 foot tall 178 pound Dude. Run about 10 miles a day and drink all kinds of alcohol.So much fun to enjoy life and do things that are well fun.
Yup, I still have estrogen...I'm not really "bone" thin due to my fitness level & I still lift weights - but, my BF would like to see a little more T&A,curves, on me...so I'm trying to gain weight - figure that 10lbs might do the trick. I don't run anymore due to a bad ankle (right leg crushed, run over by a car 2001) but I ride my Trek mountain bike as much as I can & the ranch work keeps me "lean & mean".
I have worked so hard to maintain financial independence - retired at 42,try to live a life of simplicity, mindfulness,and grace.....therefore, it is important to be healthy enough to enjoy the lifestyle that all of us FIRE's
find so appealing....and oh yes, I adore good wine and a nip of single malt scotch.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
LDL 160
HDL 60
Triglyc 35

You go girl!!! and just cut back on the simple carbs, nothing drastic, just a little here n there &you'll be amazed at the difference.Simple carbs wreak havoc on me - I get lethargic,puffy, and cranky....No sugar, fruit juices, bread, pasta, potatoes....only once in a great while. I love cranberry juice - so I put about 1/3 juice in a glass, fill with sodium free seltzer water, and ice.....it's sooooo refreshing
Yes, I eat dairy - as posted organic milk, cheese.
I also have plain yoghurt, unsalted butter, goat cheese
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Brilliant! I took a break from the forum to have a couple drinks so my HDL would go up. Then I came back to the comp to do more research. OK, I've got a handle on my HDL. Now what to do about my triglycerides. Hmmm, how about this - "Another strategy to lower triglycerides is to reduce or eliminate all types of alcohol. Alcohol, even small amounts, can elevate triglycerides."

Guess I better go stick my finger down my throat.
Sucks, eh?

My numbers:

TOTAL - 203
HDL - 28
LDL - 117
TG - 290

Now taking Tricor...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Sucks, eh?

My numbers:

TOTAL - 203
HDL - 28
LDL - 117
TG - 290

Now taking Tricor...

LOL! If laughter is good for your numbers I should be fine now. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The results of my bloodwork are in and I need to do something to lower my cholesterol. LDL is 124 and total cholesterol is 191. Obviously I want to do this without having to resort to medication.

What has worked for others to successfully lower their cholesterol numbers? I eat oatmeal for breakfast most days and I have started working out with a trainer 3 days a week in an effort to lose a few lbs.

I've done a net search and that has given me some other ideas but I would be interested to hear what did or didn't work for others.
My numbers were similar. I tried exercising, ate better but I just didn't make a dent into my numbers. So if you end up taking a drug you might try Lovasatin which is the generic form for Mevacor. One of the older drugs. My doc recommended Lipitor but this drug is so much cheaper I talked my doc into letting me try this. He was amazed how well it brought my numbers down. Cost $10 for a 90 day supply at Walmart. I think Target has the same deal. So give it a try if you have to go the drug route.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Be wary of red rice yeast. It contains the active ingredient in lovastatin, and needs the same semi-annual liver function test if you take it. Likewise, niacin is effective as a way to lower LDL and raise HDL, and it is over-the-counter, but it too affects the liver and must be monitored by your dr.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #38

I finally got my full results and they are ok, however do need some work. They are as follows:

Total 191
HDL 51
LDL 124
Trig 80

So going on the Dr Sears method I have a ratio of 1.569 which means I have to do some work.

I'm going to continue working out and have my numbers measured again in 3 months or so to see if there is any change. If not, I'll speak with the quack about some medication.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #39

I don't painic about cholesterol, Triglycerides were my bane. 7 years ago at 1160, two weeks ago tested at 100, yep one hundred.

The winning difference: cut out rice, potatoes, pasta. Totally.
Still have sweet tooth for chocolate, have some occasionally. Also 'been taking niacin1000 daily, but on the long term it made minor difference.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I finally got my full results and they are ok, however do need some work. They are as follows:

Total 191
HDL 51
LDL 124
Trig 80

So going on the Dr Sears method I have a ratio of 1.569 which means I have to do some work.

I'm going to continue working out and have my numbers measured again in 3 months or so to see if there is any change. If not, I'll speak with the quack about some medication.
If you think those numbers are bad you really are worried about nothing.

From Dr Sears book the omega RX zone...

If your ratio is less than 2 , you have predominantly large, fluffy LDL particles that are not going to do you any harm. If your ratio is greater than 4 you have a lot of small dense LDL particles which can accelerate the development of plaques.

So it seems to me you numbers are very good, and in my book the same numbers that I have now, and would not take a statin.