Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I don't painic about cholesterol, Triglycerides were my bane. 7 years ago at 1160, two weeks ago tested at 100, yep one hundred.

The winning difference: cut out rice, potatoes, pasta. Totally.
Still have sweet tooth for chocolate, have some occasionally. Also 'been taking niacin1000 daily, but on the long term it made minor difference.
Out of curiosity, did you get diagnosed as diabetic? I did, and cutting out those same foods (along with all white flour) dropped my TriGs from ~850 to 137. If you aren't diabetic yet and you keep up with that regime you'll probably be safe, at least for a while.

I agree, DangerMouse, I think your numbers are fine, if not excellent. It never hurts to eat better and get more exercise, but I suspect if you cast around you'll be able to find other things more in need of worrying about.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Out of curiosity, did you get diagnosed as diabetic?
No, never had diabetic diagnosis. Had been put through the mill of all the various statins, until I finally said no. No more. They gave me the case of the stupids, joint pains etc. . Have not been on statins in 4 yrs. I feel good, don't miss the "temporary form of sugars".
DW at time grumbles about not having pasta or rice. But, she feel better too.
Will stay with this food regime.

By the way, my weight is near perfect at 163 to 168 range, 5'9"
Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may or may not enjoy this book:

Amazon.com: Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure: Caldwell B. Esselstyn: Books

Note that there is a huge amount of bad information circulating on the topic of nutrition, so skepticism is always a good idea. Nutrition is an extremely complex and poorly understood topic, and the number of people who are actually qualified to speak authoritatively on the subject is remarkably small (most MDs are excluded). Add in the outrageous conflicts of interest in the USDA, which is simultaneously charged with promoting American agriculture (which means promoting American animal-culture) and issuing dietary guidelines, and you have a real mess. It's no wonder Americans don't know what to believe, and thus by default tend to believe whatever maximizes immediate personal pleasure. Who can blame them?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote