Join Early Retirement Today

How you sleep may be bad for you
Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How you sleep may be bad for you

AT&T - Can Your Sleep Position Affect Your Health?

I sleep on my left side which according to this article may be bad.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I'm a left side sleeper too. For some reason, when I sleep on my right side my sinuses act up. Crazy, but true. I can sleep on my back so maybe I will try that more.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I start on my right side, then heaven only knows what happens after I fall asleep. I sleep very little when I'm alone.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I sleep in whatever position feels comfortable on that givin day. A rough guesstimate would be:

60% right side
25% left side
15% stomach
0% back

Not the healthiest but it could be worse.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I find that sleeping on my back gives me odd, weird dreams, plus I find that I wake myself up snoring and I don't seem to breath as well on my back.

I used to sleep on my right side, but I switched to my left over the years.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW it is my understanding that, all things being equal, sleeping on the left side is best for blood circulation as that allows the heart to most efficiently pump and recirculate blood. Second best is the right side. I don't recall which is the worst b/w stomach or back sleeping.

As for breathing I seem to recall that stomach sleeping is the best as that is easiest on the lungs: Back sleeping is the worst for the same reason. I believe I was told this when I had a sinus infection a few yrs ago.

Anyway, I'm prob diametrically wrong on all counts but it doesn't matter for me since I sleep in the position that my body is in when the Ambien hits my system...
GusLevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
Anyway, I'm prob diametrically wrong on all counts but it doesn't matter for me since I sleep in the position that my body is in when the Ambien hits my system...
How awful! My sympathies. I can't imagine having insomnia so bad as to have to take something like that for it regularly. Isn't that harmful?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Consider the source before you worry about it.

1. The article is written by a person with no explanation of their expertise. Is this person a doctor? A sleep researcher? A medical or scientific journalist? Unlikely, as none of these were specified.

2. It's on AT&T's website. Since when is this a reliable source of medical information?

3. It's painfully vague. No citations, no quotes from any sort of "expert." Nothing.

My advice, for what it's worth: Pitch it. Talk to your doc if you're worried.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I sleep on my stomach and I'm sticking with it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
...it doesn't matter for me since I sleep in the position that my body is in when the Ambien hits my system...
For me, it was sitting up (in an airplane, either from/to Europe) .

My former company's doctor gave out Ambien (2-tabs/trip); one for going over - one for coming back.

Often leaving the U.S. around 6-7 pm, flying 5-7 hours (depending on destination), getting off the plane and going straight to a meeting (usually arrived at w*rk in mid-morning, which would be about 3 am at home)...

A good sleeping aid (at least for me). However I didn't use it for more than a few days a month when I traveled nor used it when I retured home to get back in sync.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL!

That Ambien is tricky stuff. Once I took one and then got preoccupied with finishing up my packing for trip. Next thing I knew I had crashed to the floor and busted my lip.

Another time I took one and got immediately into bed. But I must have awakened too early the next morning, because all the next day I had bad balance.

So no more Ambien for me.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How awful! My sympathies. I can't imagine having insomnia so bad as to have to take something like that for it regularly. Isn't that harmful?
Thank you for your empathy. I am not addictive by nature (no tv, social drinker, etc) but I am admittedly addicted to sleeping pills at this pt. Insomnia is a very subversive condition and I've unfortunately had it all my life. With retirement it is noticeably better for all the obvious reasons, but clearly, retiring from work does not mean all of life's stresses are retired along with it...always something for the mind to think about!

I thot for awhile that perhaps I could escape to your Hawaiian birth land for the near future to cleanse away stress but the real estate market there was too stressful!

Anyway, I am starting to believe that I may have found an alternative to Ambien now...read the Fire&Money section of this forum when I get into
bed...
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I start on my right side, then heaven only knows what happens after I fall asleep. I sleep very little when I'm alone.
I tend to sleep less when I'm not alone...

but seriously, sleeping on my back feels great but typically results in a swift kick from DW when the snoring starts so I end up on one side or the other.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
LOL!

That Ambien is tricky stuff. Once I took one and then got preoccupied with finishing up my packing for trip. Next thing I knew I had crashed to the floor and busted my lip.

Another time I took one and got immediately into bed. But I must have awakened too early the next morning, because all the next day I had bad balance.

So no more Ambien for me.
Have you considered the possibility that you may be one of those humans that Space Aliens - or Kim Jung il's henchmen - periodically kidnap to conduct biophysiological experiments? If you play it right there might be a USA Network tv special in the future for you!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you considered the possibility that you may be one of those humans that Space Aliens - or Kim Jung il's henchmen - periodically kidnap to conduct biophysiological experiments? If you play it right there might be a USA Network tv special in the future for you!

It is possible. One night I took it and some happy looking fat girl beleaguered me all night with demands for sexual exertion beyond my usual modest ability. I did not recognize the surroundings, so it may have been a spaceship. The entire experience left me with a renewed appreciation for corporeal munificence.

Ha
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyway, I am starting to believe that I may have found an alternative to Ambien now...read the Fire&Money section of this forum when I get into
bed...
Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing does it to me every time. It's such an important book, and I do recommend it to everyone, but I must admit that the writing style lulls me to sleep very quickly.

When I was w*rking I used to think that I had insomnia sometimes. Now that I am retired, I realize that some nights I just need more sleep, or at a different time of day/night, than other nights. Now, I just sleep when I want to and stay up if I want to (most of the time, when I have no obligations).

Also when I was w*rking stress was more of a factor, of course.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Also when I was working stress was more of a factor, of course.
Grammar police here ...

Use of the "W" word without the requisite "*" is not tolerated in this forum ...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Grammar police here ...

Use of the "W" word without the requisite "*" is not tolerated in this forum ...
Oh my, thank you!!! I hastened to correct that error.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Oh my, thank you!!! I hastened to correct that error.
Just kidding, of course.

Sometimes an old guy in retirement gets "frisky" ...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Consider the source before you worry about it.

1. The article is written by a person with no explanation of their expertise. Is this person a doctor? A sleep researcher? A medical or scientific journalist? Unlikely, as none of these were specified.

2. It's on AT&T's website. Since when is this a reliable source of medical information?

3. It's painfully vague. No citations, no quotes from any sort of "expert." Nothing.

My advice, for what it's worth: Pitch it. Talk to your doc if you're worried.
+1. And one of the referenced articles discusses the advantages of sleeping on each side/front/back. Without references to actual published research, it's all just filler.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote