Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is one of the medical procedures I think will be on the chopping block in the future. It is going to be the cost of a knee, or a walker/wheel chair. I don't think Medicare or insurance is going to be able to afford the cost of us getting older. So far just about everyone in our neighborhood, except DW and I, have had knee or hip replacements. It is almost like an assembly line.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

You are doing great Retired gypsy ! Keep up the good work !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
This is one of the medical procedures I think will be on the chopping block in the future. It is going to be the cost of a knee, or a walker/wheel chair. I don't think Medicare or insurance is going to be able to afford the cost of us getting older.
Really?

I know a number of older people who have had knee and hip replacements. Some are doing great, others so-so, but all are doing much better than when they still had the parts they were born with. They all can live indepedently with no need for extra help to get daily tasks done.
Without the replacement, I imagine they would be taking more medicine and need somebody to care for them. I expect that would cost more in the long run.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had my pre-op yesterday, the new knee is scheduled for the week after next. I've been pretty miserable for the last few months.

I'm sick of the exercise bicycle and swimming. I'd like to walk dogs again, but I understand that it may still be a few months before I can handle downhills again. If I could just walk on the flat and uphill, I'd be fine, but I haven't figured out how to get back home doing that!
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
If I could just walk on the flat and uphill, I'd be fine, but I haven't figured out how to get back home doing that!
Here ya go:

I read these threads on TKR with interest as there is probably one in my future too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stairs.jpg (30.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Close to five months into TKR and the only part of me that is pain free is my new knee. Just spent three hours weed eating my pond banks and while hips and shoulders are complaining, I seriously think my new knee is saying "bring-it-on". Damn life is good!
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #27

Glad to hear the good news RG. Don't push yourself too hard, my p/t gave me this when I got overzealous and had a setback. lol

I'm almost 6 months post. just got back from Disneyworld with a bunch of kiddies and the knee held up great. Even while doing the Epcot battan death march.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moms pick (1).jpg (11.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear the good news also, RG!

About two months ago, I was working on my 1971 VW restoration and was doing something that caused me to be straddling two 18" 2 X 4's and stretching forward. The boards slipped and I fell flat on my face. Fortunately, the $35K in new dental work was unscathed and I was OK. Well, next day my right knee was killing me.

After waiting this out, I finally realized my knee pain was not healing on its own so I saw the knee doc and had x-rays done today. Bone wise (reviewing the X-rays), both knees are quite nice with plenty of cartilage and space between the bones, but the diagnosis is a torn meniscus. An MRI is scheduled and then a repair procedure.

This won't be anywhere near as rough as a TKR, but it will cause me some downtime, and I really don't like downtime.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #29

Chuckanut:
Not a statement on how successful the procedure is, everyone I know around here is doing better than they were. It;s just a dollar and cents thing for the government. You are right it may be cheaper to do the operation, but the government will not pay for the long term care. Not sure this can be discussed without Porky lurking around the corner, although nothing political is intended as it won't matter which party is in control. It is a dollar and cents thing.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

For those on Medicare, you don't get a new knee until you exhaust all other means of treatment (shots, etc) and those are proven not to work. That process could take a couple of years.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
For those on Medicare, you don't get a new knee until you exhaust all other means of treatment (shots, etc) and those are proven not to work. That process could take a couple of years.
even if your not on medicare. I have aetna through my employer and it took me two years from start to new knee. I had
2 arthoscopic surgeries
cortisone shots
HA shots
6 month p/t

before they would authorize payment. my orthopedic surgeon also does not jump straight to TKR
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same with private insurance like BCBS. I inquired about new hip and was told the same thing.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
How's The New Knee Treating You?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #33

Did TKR left Nov 2015, right TKR 8 days ago. I did the first one when the pain made moving very uncomfortable. - Not being able to move for a type II diabetic is trouble for sure. Number 2 the pain came in bouts.

Week 1 is miserable... no not agony you are on pills.
Week 2 less pills, less misery
And it just got better and better

You'll have difficulty find a comfortable position
The opioids will mess up your digestive track and you'll take stuff to help you go.
You'll use that ice machine because it helps with the inflammation
You'll need help

Buy a shower chair so you can comfortably take a shower
Buy a urinal so you can go in the night without having to do the walker stomp to the bathroom
Eat bananas

Each person is different but, the many TKR recipients I've talked to are happy. It has been 8 days and all I've had was some Tylenol today..
Guess I'm on the mend.

Good luck - you'll be fine.
Oh and most important I never thought about the new knee after a couple months ... I didn't have to because it was not hurting!!
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW had BOTH knees done at the same time 14 years ago. They had her up the first afternoon of surgery for a couple of steps (though she does not remember it - I do.) She was a trooper and toughed out the rigorous 3X/day rehab therapy and got fantastic range of motion. She has had some pain ever since - enough so that she's had the replacements evaluated a couple of times. Both times, they said "you're good!" So why the pain? She still has arthritis which will always plague her some what.

Oh, by the way, do not plan on deep knee bends or getting down on your knees after TKR. I think those are still a no-no unless the rules have changed. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

Oh, by the way, do not plan on deep knee bends or getting down on your knees after TKR. I think those are still a no-no unless the rules have changed. YMMV
Per my doctor, some people can kneel with no problem while others may not. I have to use a sponge type pad for kneeling and while no pain present the absence of nerve endings in the knee cap makes for a weird feeling. At six months, the only reminder of having knee issues is when a big change in atmospheric pressure occurs.

Having been-there-done-that (BTDT) I suggest those experiencing on going knee pain make an appointment with their doctor and start the long process of treatment and documentation. If you wait until the pain becomes all encompassing, you can pretty much add one to two years of 'ineffective' treatment before your insurance will give the OK for TKR.....after all "rules are rules"
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Same with private insurance like BCBS. I inquired about new hip and was told the same thing.
It depends. I was offered a new knee right away, but I wanted to try injections first, hoping to delay replacement by a few years. If your x-ray has the right indications, you can get immediate surgery. My insurance is Blue Shield through Covered California.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Week 1 is miserable... no not agony you are on pills.
Week 2 less pills, less misery
And it just got better and better

You'll have difficulty find a comfortable position
The opioids will mess up your digestive track and you'll take stuff to help you go.
You'll use that ice machine because it helps with the inflammation
You'll need help

Buy a shower chair so you can comfortably take a shower
Buy a urinal so you can go in the night without having to do the walker stomp to the bathroom
Eat bananas

Each person is different but, the many TKR recipients I've talked to are happy. It has been 8 days and all I've had was some Tylenol today..
Guess I'm on the mend.

Good luck - you'll be fine.
Oh and most important I never thought about the new knee after a couple months ... I didn't have to because it was not hurting!!
It's the end of month one and so far all of this is how I've experienced things. The doctor, PAs, nurses, and physical therapists pushed and pushed and stressed as hard as possible how important physical therapy is to getting better, and I think that's making 90% of the difference. Time makes up the rest.

It's impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep in still, but at least the recliner is comfortable. Compression socks have helped some with swelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
A month out and I Just got to a 90 degree bend, but the doctor said if I ever do wind up kneeling I should do it on some kind of padding.

Physical therapy has me squatting at each session, I'll have to ask if they ever want me going past parallel to the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt22 View Post
At six months, the only reminder of having knee issues is when a big change in atmospheric pressure occurs.
I can't wait to get there.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Granddaughter was terrified when anyone would kneel--one of her little preschool classmates said her grandfather couldn't kneel because it broke his knee. Hard to explain to a three-year-old about knee replacements....

Hope you feel better and no more knees get broken!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
It depends. I was offered a new knee right away, but I wanted to try injections first, hoping to delay replacement by a few years. If your x-ray has the right indications, you can get immediate surgery. My insurance is Blue Shield through Covered California.
I don't know, I haven't had any X-ray lately. But mine is not from Covered California so it should be good. I'm not eager to get it done. Still one big chicken here. I heard you can dislocate things after the surgery. I worry about getting in and out of my jacuzzi and have my hip dislocated.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #40

Ok it is 13 days since I did knee number 2
1. Nights are awful ...just can't get comfortable - have to resort to 4mgr hudromorphine. Twice - they last about about three hours ea dose.
2. Using a cane but I don't have a smooth heal toe step yet
3. Staples out today! Yeah. Hope it makes sleeping a bit easier.
4. Feel knee tightening up will have to crush exercises today (PT tomorrow)

Otherwise as expected...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote