Join Early Retirement Today

How's The New Knee Treating You?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How's The New Knee Treating You?

Barely over 30, and I'm getting a Total Knee Replacement in a couple months.

I have no clue what I'm in for.

I didn't know enough to know what all I didn't know enough to need to ask when the doctor and I were discussing best options for a higher quality of life compared to this totaled knee. Tried other things, been through three surgeries already, found out I have some of funky defect that limits several options, the TKR seems the best route.

If you've had one, I'd love to hear what that was like. And what it's like how however many years later after living with it.

What can't you do now? So far the list I've gotten was no running.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No personal experience but read an article where Phil Mickelson's caddie had both of his knees replaced during the off season and 3 months later was back lugging his 40lb golf bag for 18 holes. Good luck with it!
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Neighbor, late 70s or early 80s, recently had one of her knees replaced.....she walks at the indoor track daily, and is very pleased with the result.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heavy FIL had his knees replaced ~15 years ago. Didn't like the therapy, called the therapist some choice names, didn't do as much or as often as she wanted. Complained afterward of serious lack of range of motion.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
A dear friend just had his second knee replaced a week ago. A year ago he had his first done. He is in some discomfort, but knows that like his first knee, it is well worth the post surgery pain. His first replacement was a godsend, and was the best decision he ever made. Free of pain and MOBILE. In another few months he'll have two good knees. He has no regrets whatsoever. PT is absolutely mandatory - approach it like a JOB
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a right knee TKR three months ago. Operation went very well. TKR is now very common. Spent two years dragging my right leg in pain, and now pain free and no limp at three months. Majority of after surgery pain was physical therapy for range of motion. Takes some sucking-up but results are worth it. Sleeping with a soft pillow between your knees really helps!

At three months I still have occasional pain but mostly related to over exertion, such as walking around Lowe's for an hour or hauling marine batteries up a ladder into my boat.

I recommend avoiding the 'whoa-is me' TKR forums, as recommendations and experience seem a tad exceptional. Found the youtube physical therapy recommendations to be helpful in conjunction with PT's guidance.

Bottom line- I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did

Edit to answer OP's "what can't I do question"- Jumping and quick turns (basketball, soccer, etc) seem not to be an option. Kneeling feels weird as no longer have pain receptacles there, and debate still exists as to whether it is ok to kneel. In my case, I can do much more than I could for few years before surgery. If you have more questions go ahead and ask
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

My So had two total knees a year apart .He is now pain free and can do anything a 70 year old can do . His only regret is he waited so long to have it done and lived with pain all that time .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

This all comes across as very reassuring and worthwhile. The last time I saw someone with a full knee replacement was a decade ago, when her scar ran halfway up her thigh and halfway down her shin (or that's how I remember it anyway). The doctor was explaining things have come such a long way.

There was one model of replacement model called the Triathlon. I was disappointed to learn the name did not denote the ability to do something so strenuous.

But every once in a blue moon I have to haul 40-50 pounds bags from the driveway to the garage. I did learn today that I would be able to still ride the motorcycle, even if I ever changed to a more sporty style of riding.

It would be phenomenal to be able to say I don't have knee pain anymore. Right now everything has to pass the knee test, and it's horrible that the list of things that can be done is exponentially smaller than the list of things that can't be done.

Apparently the doctor who's doing this is so good that people have chased him from all over the country to get this done, so I'm really happy to have found such a highly sought after and capable person.

Luckily I love exercise and chronic pain has given me a high pain tolerance. During the last round of therapy, I was their favorite since I actually followed the regime.

It's still kind of terrifying though. This is mitigated by the really cool idea that I think I can say afterward that I'm now a cyborg.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Having been there and done that I can assure you there is no need to be terrified. I found my torn rotator-cuff surgery and recovery more challenging.

On my first day of off-site rehab (3 days after surgery) I literally carried my walker into the clinic rather than pushing it. I turned 70 today, so at 30 I expect you will do even better.

I think I would be more terrified if the Dr told me there is nothing he can do
Old 03-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Hi Retired gypsy.
I had a total knee replacement on 12/5/2016. I am ~13 weeks out. So ask as many question as you'd like.
Some Observation

1) The first 3-4 weeks will be the worst. It was serious pain. I was on a drug cocktail of oxycotone, tramadole, tylenol and metaxalone. take your meds on schedule

2) One of the side effects is insomnia. OMG, the lack of sleep was/is horrible.
3) Ice, elevate and rest should be your mantra the first 4 weeks. you will be encouraged to go hard at p/t. I'm not one of those. your entire leg will be swollen trying to "push" through the pain is counterproductive
4) check out bonesmart.org it's like this site but for hip and knee replacements

lastly, I keep this picture on my bathroom mirror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moms pick (1).jpg (11.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #11

I've not had TKR myself, but I have two friends that have. One is fine, happy go lucky, but can no longer run. He had to have one knee replaced. The other guy needed both knees done, and decided to be a tough guy and demanded to have them both done at the same time. As he tells it, that was a big mistake. In his opinion, that prevented him from effective physical therapy, because he just hurt too much (and this is a tough, cowboy type guy). To this day, four years later, he still hobbles around, wishing he'd done it differently.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I've not had TKR myself, but I have two friends that have. One is fine, happy go lucky, but can no longer run. He had to have one knee replaced. The other guy needed both knees done, and decided to be a tough guy and demanded to have them both done at the same time. As he tells it, that was a big mistake. In his opinion, that prevented him from effective physical therapy, because he just hurt too much (and this is a tough, cowboy type guy). To this day, four years later, he still hobbles around, wishing he'd done it differently.
Rambler, I've met a number of folks who did both knees. m I can't imagine it. my therapist is vehemently against it, swears that is worst and results are never as good as going the 1 knee at a time route
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I have two friends that have. One is fine, happy go lucky, but can no longer run. He had to have one knee replaced. The other guy needed both knees done, and decided to be a tough guy and demanded to have them both done at the same time. As he tells it, that was a big mistake. In his opinion, that prevented him from effective physical therapy, because he just hurt too much (and this is a tough, cowboy type guy). To this day, four years later, he still hobbles around, wishing he'd done it differently.
I would not do both knees at once. I was 69 when I had my right knee replaced and had no issues with sleeping. I used the ice pump before and after physical therapy, and took my pain meds 30 minutes prior to therapy. At 70, the only reason I have to run is from a fire, and yes the doctors and physical therapist recommend low impact activities such as hiking versus football and soccer.
I used the hell out of the auto-exercise machine the first four weeks it was available. I also had a great doctor who specialized in knees and hips, and had the surgery performed at Premiere Surgical Institute, a place that specializes in this type of surgery. I'm sure everyone's results will vary, but all of the people I met/know with TKR, except for one, wish they would have had it done sooner.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #14

I had my right knee replaced Dec 16, 2016. I was released from PT after 9 weeks. I am out of shape (well round is a shape, but that doesn't count!), and the knee had bad arthritis, but the real problem was the bone spurs. They were affecting my ability to go anywhere where I couldn't ride. Walking was no fun since I could go 3 days without a problem, or could end up in agony after a step or two.

I was walking in the pool for about 3 weeks before the surgery, and the PT said that probably helped me get ready for the recovery. The surgery hurt like h*ll, and I now understand why my Dad called them Personal Terrorists! After I got out of the hospital, I did the home exercises, but I wish I had been more dedicated to them. When I started the PT outside the home, I decided that I wanted to get finished with them sooner rather than later, so I pushed through any pain (I had little pain, just severe discomfort!). I took muscle relaxants before PT and just before bed. That lessened the stiffness in the morning. I got off the Oxycondone as soon as I could tolerate it. I iced down often (though looking back, I should have done it much more often).

I am back in the pool, and in the fitness center and walking. I get tired and sore when all three are on the same day, but that is why I am still icing my knees.

My advice is to get the surgery sooner rather than later, and push through the early pain using ice and the meds (make sure you get muscle relaxants!!). The sooner you get in motion, the sooner you will get back to a normal life.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my TKR on 11/30/16. Because the inner half of my knee had no cartilage for a decade or so, the MCL (inner ligament spanning the femur & tibia) had shortened enough to prevent normal installation of the new knee. The surgeon removed it from the tibia, installed the new knee, and reattached (stapled & stitched) the MCL back at a slightly higher point on the tibia. My quadriceps tendon was similar, he had to notch significantly it to get a bit of slack, and stitched it up after installing the knee.

Because of the extra MCL work I had my leg in an immobilizer for the first 3 weeks, and underwent somewhat limited PT. I eventually reached 138 degrees of flexion (target was 135) but it was hard work getting there.

For the first 10 weeks of so I had a pretty painful catch just above my kneecap when going down steps. That was due to scar tissue that formed by the quad tendon stitches. At the end of 4 of my PT sessions my therapist used a small dollop of lube & a highly polished, radiused steel plate to hand-work the scar tissue on that tendon. That. Sh7t. Hurt.

I can go down steps now without the catch, going down steps hurts about as much as going up.

I think my new knee rattles quite a bit. My surgeon examined me last week and said I've probably got about 3 or 4mm of slack on the inner knee, but as the MCL heals over the next year or so it should go down to a normal 1mm of slack, greatly reducing the knocking sensation.

I'm able to walk without a limp at times, but I'm still waiting for the day that I feel as good as I did pre-surgery.
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #16

Well, it's been done!

I'm now two and a half weeks post surgery, and I'm already to the point where I can just about walk without a cane. It's remarkable how weak the leg got everywhere, it's not like I was bedridden enough for anything to atrophy.

My leg is still swollen like a sausage, but at least it's starting to slowly resemble a leg again.

PT has been an exercise in pain tolerance, but every session is showing marked improvement. No pain, no gain! I call it tough love. The first two weeks having to get in the car, since it's a low sedan, were absolutely brutal. I had to hold it still and prop it up with pillows and wrap it in neck pillows and just breathe deep until I made it to the session. And then one day it just was magically tolerable.

The surgical team took great care to minimize scarring. I'm so grateful, seeing how the others who've had TKR I've run into at therapy look. They largely told me they had staples. I have something like four layers of stitches.

I'm glad the doctor is young, since I have to follow up with him every couple years, and within 15-20 will most likely need to get the plastic replaced.

For anyone curious, I am now the proud owner of a Smith & Nephew Journey II knee. I keep wanting to call it a Smith & Wesson, but that'd be taking concealed carry to a whole new and terrifying level.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

So glad to read about your successful TKR surgery! What a great outcome, especially since it's so soon after your surgery.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So glad to read about your successful TKR surgery! What a great outcome, especially since it's so soon after your surgery.
I sure wasn't expecting to be this mobile at this point! There's a really fantastic joint replacement program at the hospital I went to requiring an orientation class before surgery where they recommend exercises to help make recovery quicker. I was able to get some advice from the physical therapist beforehand as well. I think the month of being able to follow their exercise plans, and then following the therapy regiment afterwards to a T has helped so much.

I've been given a student going through clinicals at PT to break in. I told him I'm sorry for ruining him for expectations against all his future patients, since I really enjoy the exercise and trying to push myself each session.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #19

Congrats on your successful surgery. My BIL just had TKR surgery this week and is now in rehab and PT. We finally took over his health care -- he has MS -- and after 20 years of pain and an almost crippling state, we got him to do the surgery. He'll do the other knee in September once his replaced knee is strong enough. If he didn't do the surgery, he would wind up wheel chair bound, as it is before the surgery he was relegated to a walker and it was not a pretty sight to see him struggle.

It was baffling to us as to why he didn't do TKR surgery years ago. His mother at 80ish had TKR. And his sister, my wife, has had 3 TKR on 2 knees. The last one was a "revision" because the prosthetic failed -- she has thin bones and needed a longer stem.

The major downside we have with TKR is that it slows us down at airport security.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Congrats on your successful surgery. My BIL just had TKR surgery this week and is now in rehab and PT. We finally took over his health care -- he has MS -- and after 20 years of pain and an almost crippling state, we got him to do the surgery. He'll do the other knee in September once his replaced knee is strong enough. If he didn't do the surgery, he would wind up wheel chair bound, as it is before the surgery he was relegated to a walker and it was not a pretty sight to see him struggle.
That's fantastic his quality of life is going to be improved now that he was willing to get his knees taken care of.