How's Your Cholesterol?

ScottFromUtah

Recycles dryer sheets
I had a physical three weeks ago, my first since being FIRE'd. I had blood drawn and analyzed. For a heart disease survivor, I feel pretty good about the numbers:

total cholesterol: 155 mg/dL
HDL: 39 mg/dL
LDL: 98 mg/dL
VLDL: 18 mg/dL
triglycerides: 90 mg/dL
glucose: 86 mg/dL

The doctor said I ought to get the LDL level down below 70, but other than that, he said things look pretty good--much better than they did in Feb 2000 when my cholesterol was 291, LDL was 202, and triglyceride was 283.

I've never had it measured. Maybe I should.

I had mine tested on 6/7/2010

Total cholesterol: 303 mg/dL
HDL: 67 mg/dL
LDL: 209 mg/dL
VLDL: 27 mg/dL
triglycerides: 131 mg/dL
glucose: 100 mg/dL

My real-LDL size pattern is A.

I haven't eaten red meat or poultry in 34 years (I eat seafood).

Wow! :eek: I would really be worried with total cholesterol and LDL that high.

I think shrimp is very high in cholesterol too, unfortunately. I love shrimp and eat it anyway. But fortunately, with the help of meds my total cholesterol is 137.

As of July '09(next testing not until sept '10)

Total cholesterol: 171 mg/dl
HDL: 73 mg/dl
LDL: 89mg/dl
Triglycerides: 45 mg/dl
Glucose: 95 mg/dl

I've never had it measured. Maybe I should.

If they drew blood as a work up for your Bone marrow donation they probably checked it .When you go for the donation ask for a copy of any blood tests they did .

If they drew blood as a work up for your Bone marrow donation they probably checked it .When you go for the donation ask for a copy of any blood tests they did .

Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I know it's hard to believe, but not eating red meat or poultry may be your problem (because what you are eating instead is carbohydrates).

Dr. Andrew Weil: Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?

I keep a close watch on my numbers since I'm a diabetic (AO/Nam).

While under meds (and doing well), my Tri's are a bit high and may be related to my "wine intake" :cool: ...

I go to a local heart care group every 6 months, and before I get my levels, I knock off all drinking for at least 30 days before the test is done.

Drops my tri's down 100 points (still above normal), but hey, I'm old and going to die someday, anyway :LOL: ...

My other numbers (HDL/LDL) are within specs.

It's a bi*ch getting old (and more so, being old)...

Total Cholesterol 117
HDL 40
LDL 70
TriG 34
Glucose 79 Fasting

Gone to a strict veggie diet whole grains no white flours no white rice no cookies cakes processed food, no fast foods and no BEER!!

Basically the Ornish Diet..

Yes I am taking 40 of Lipitor but only the past 10 weeks... My numbers in feb were over 250 total and ldl of 198!!

Total 156
HDL 58
LDL 85
TriG 67

I eat no meat and try to eat whole grains. I do have a sweet tooth -- these numbers were just after Girl Scout cookie month.

My doctor didn't give me any information other than a total of 150. My diet is normal meat, veggies, fruit, and whole grain breads.

Back
Top Bottom