Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Unfortunately I'm still sidelined with cervical spine issues but I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts. How are you actually incorporating HR into your workout program? What is your main goal for tracking your HR? I was mainly using it to make sure my effort was consistant on long (time wise)activities; running, cycling etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Like you, I'm using HR as a means to maintain consistency in a workout. I used to use pace as a basis for running, but that doesn't work when running hills. I'd overwork when running up a hill trying to maintain certain pace time, and underwork going downhill. I'm training for a marathon, and from what I've read, running anaerobic will deplete glycogen levels faster and result in "hitting the wall". I'm keeping track of my HR on all runs, and I'll know on race day what HR to target based on the numbers that I had on my longer training runs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm still sidelined with cervical spine issues but I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts. How are you actually incorporating HR into your workout program? What is your main goal for tracking your HR? I was mainly using it to make sure my effort was consistant on long (time wise)activities; running, cycling etc.
Mine is quite simple. I have a hard limit where my pacemaker won't pace above. So ideally I would like to keep it just below that point as crossing it causes running out of breath quickly. Tracking it helps me understand if my not keeping up with breath is due to lack of conditioning or that I crossed this pacemaker limit. I like to push close to the limit to build endurance.
Biggest downfall is most heart rate monitors don't work reliably with the pacemaker. The light through the finger method seems to work most reliably.. but it kind of awkward.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #63

Is your workout too easy?

I'm a big fan of WebMD, but I can't agree with this article, which in essence suggests that workouts don't work when you feel no pain.
Since I no longer enjoy pain, will continue my workouts at my own pace, and in my own way.
Currently it's 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 hour in the afternoon on my no-resistance exercise bike... done while WATCHING MY FAVORITE TV SERIES Midsomer Murders and Foyle's War.
If WebMD doesn't like that, Tuff Tuffy

Your Workout: Is It Too Easy?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I completely agree with you. Although I'm a proponent of cross-training, which can be as simple and basic as doing an exercise that uses somewhat different muscles every few days, I see no reason to "go for the burn" at an older age.

I've said it before, so I'll say it again:

1. The best exercise for you is the one you will actually do.

2. The best gauge of your fitness is a full length mirror.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I'm a big fan of WebMD, but I can't agree with this article, which in essence suggests that workouts don't work when you feel no pain.
Since I no longer enjoy pain, will continue my workouts at my own pace, and in my own way.
Read the article and didn't take from it that pain was necessary for a good work out but that some sustained level of exertion is required.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Ron you training for the Chicago Marathon?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

. "The best exercise for you is the one you will actually do."

This is true.

Imoldernu, if it works for you and you consistently get in some form of exercise then that's great. Gets your HR a little higher than normal and you enjoy it!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #68

Quote:
Ron you training for the Chicago Marathon?

Not Chicago, but the Naperville, il (Chicago sw suburb) marathon on 10/23. This all started on Christmas when my niece's husband said that his boss suggested that he get in shape and run a marathon. My SIL and I chimed in that we would do it with him.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

HR and workouts

Ronstar good for you. Naperville used to be part of my territory back around 1979-1982. I know the area well. It has changed dramatically out there. Grew up on So Side in Mt Greenwood and Oak Lawn. Still Have family in the SW suburbs. My wife's family is all in Phoenix now. See you spend time in both IL and AZ. Whereabouts?
Good luck on your training, but from some of your comments on other posts it doesn't sound like it will be too tough for you.
BTW my wife ran the Chicago Marathon in 2010. It was her first and only marathon. She thought it would be fun because the date for it was: 10/10/10.
Tom

Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Ronstar good for you. Naperville used to be part of my territory back around 1979-1982. I know the area well. It has changed dramatically out there. Grew up on So Side in Mt Greenwood and Oak Lawn. Still Have family in the SW suburbs. My wife's family is all in Phoenix now. See you spend time in both IL and AZ. Whereabouts?
Good luck on your training, but from some of your comments on other posts it doesn't sound like it will be too tough for you.
BTW my wife ran the Chicago Marathon in 2010. It was her first and only marathon. She thought it would be fun because the date for it was: 10/10/10.
Tom

Quite familiar with s side of Chicago and Oak Lawn . I've lived my whole life in the far sw corner of unincorporated Chicagoland - an hour sw of downtown. Also snowbird in Scottsdale, Az. I understand your DW running Chicago marathon once and done. Very crowded. I ran it in 1980 and 1990 when it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the good luck wishes.