Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Lol
Isn't how fast and how far your HR drops down after exercise and indicator of how fit you are. I can't remember the metrics for that.
I don't recall where I got this information from, it was a long time ago, but the goal is to max out your heart rate >85% MHR and measure how much your heart rate drops during the first minute after stopping. If your heart rate dropped by <20 BPM during that first minute it was an indicator that your cardio condition was not very good, anything >40 was considered very good to excellent. For me it's easy, the last 1/4 mile of my jogging route is up a fairly steep incline so I have no problem getting my heart rate in the 150 range when I finish, my one minute recovery is usually in the 45-50 range. The key for this test is to max out your heart rate before taking the measurement.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The book "Younger Next Year" discusses HR drop a minute after excercise. I'm not sure where the authors got the idea.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #23

I use a polar chest strap heart rate monitor. Heart rate is my key metric with my goal for each workout to reach 150 bpm. I am 65 so the rule of thumb would put this at about 97% of max, but I think my max bpm must be higher than that. Average over a 30-45 minute session would be in the 135-140 range. I sweat profusely and lose about 2 lbs of water each workout. Been doing this for about 35 years.

My view is that physical activity is paramount in retirement. The benefits are so obvious and documented it would be irresponsible not to do it in some form. I do it mostly for myself but also for my loved ones, eg I want to be around for a long time and be able to enjoy life as long as possible. For me this is just as important as the financial aspects of retirement. We like to criticize spend thrifts on this site. We should also be criticizing couch potatoes.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #24

Please read and immediately dismiss the following:

Does the heart have a fixed amount of beats in a lifetime? If yes then does increasing your heart rate decrease your life?

What is the purpose of consistently keeping your rate up? If it is to burn calories why not simply eat the right amount?

To gain strength you need to train muscles which doesn't need hours upon hours of increased heart rate.

Hmm, more study needed on this by me...
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
HR and workouts
Old 02-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

HR and workouts

I'm going to REI today for a garmin watch with HR capabilities. Probably the 235. After some research, it looks like there may be some inconsistencies in HR monitoring from watches with wrist sensors. Some reviewers say that the watches monitor HR ok, some say that they are inaccurate - mostly in activities where there are quick and significant changes in heart rate. If I find that the watch isn't monitoring accurately on its own, I'll get a chest strap.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I use a polar chest strap heart rate monitor. Heart rate is my key metric with my goal for each workout to reach 150 bpm. I am 65 so the rule of thumb would put this at about 97% of max, but I think my max bpm must be higher than that. Average over a 30-45 minute session would be in the 135-140 range. I sweat profusely and lose about 2 lbs of water each workout. Been doing this for about 35 years.

My view is that physical activity is paramount in retirement. The benefits are so obvious and documented it would be irresponsible not to do it in some form. I do it mostly for myself but also for my loved ones, eg I want to be around for a long time and be able to enjoy life as long as possible. For me this is just as important as the financial aspects of retirement. We like to criticize spend thrifts on this site. We should also be criticizing couch potatoes.

I agree that physical activity is paramount in retirement, but IMO we shouldn't criticize couch potatoes (or any behavior as long as it's moral and legal).

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I agree that physical activity is paramount in retirement, but IMO we shouldn't criticize couch potatoes (or any behavior as long as it's moral and legal).

OK. Probably good to not criticize. But we sure criticize other "bad financial behaviour" here. Why not bad health behaviour?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

>> Does the heart have a fixed amount of beats in a lifetime? If yes then does increasing your heart rate decrease your life?

Ahhh, the Buzz Aldrin theory of heart health. Seems to be working for him (currently 85), but I don't subscribe to this theory at all. The heart is just a muscle.

>> What is the purpose of consistently keeping your rate up?

To exercise the entire cardio vascular system so you don't die like Nelson Rockerfeller...

"had succumbed to a heart attack at the age of 70, while in his midtown townhouse with his 25-year-old assistant, Megan Marshack. Preferred joke: How did Nelson Rockefeller die? Low blood pressure: 70 over 25."

>> If it is to burn calories why not simply eat the right amount?

Because I like fine, rich foods, ice cream and the occasional wine binge!
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm going to REI today for a garmin watch with HR capabilities. Probably the 235. After some research, it looks like there may be some inconsistencies in HR monitoring from watches with wrist sensors. Some reviewers say that the watches monitor HR ok, some say that they are inaccurate - mostly in activities where there are quick and significant changes in heart rate. If I find that the watch isn't monitoring accurately on its own, I'll get a chest strap.

FWIW the wrist HR monitor on my fitbit seems to give me the same HR reading as my Garmin220 w/chest strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post

Does the heart have a fixed amount of beats in a lifetime? If yes then does increasing your heart rate decrease your life?

What is the purpose of consistently keeping your rate up? If it is to burn calories why not simply eat the right amount?

To gain strength you need to train muscles which doesn't need hours upon hours of increased heart rate.

I agree that weight management starts with what you put in your mouth and you that you can't out train a bad diet. With that said, I am a petite female over 50 with the metabolism of a sloth. I don't even burn that many calories when I run (~80 a mile). I pretty much have to run if I don't want to eat like a bird, as my mom says.

Improving my cardiovascular fitness improves my quality of life in too many ways to list.

I personally believe people have to figure out what works for them and do what they enjoy. That is the only way they will realistically incorporate the activity(ies) into their life consistently.
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Your heart rate may beat faster for the 20 mins to hour of aerobic exercise, but it more than compensates by lowering your resting heart rate. So total beats per day go down.

Exercising at a higher heart rate increases fitness - health of heart, lungs, veins, muscles, etc.. Reducing calories does nothing for that, and in fact often causes muscle loss if not exercising regularly.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I use my Apple Watch for all outdoor activities (walking, cycling), and put on a chest strap when doing aerobics or rowing indoors - that's mainly to see a graph or readout during the exercise.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #32

A couple years ago I was doing a lot of cardio via running, jogging, etc. I was doing the whole keep your heart rate up thing. It eliminated fat pretty quickly but I think it also reduced muscles. My wife said my legs were too skinny.

I also did the weight machines quickly which was also basically another cardio exercise as I wasn't really gaining much strength this way.

I recently was referred (in this forum) to the website stronglifts.com It is about getting stronger and healthy using free weights (and eating properly). Balancing the weight uses multiple muscles together making you stronger.

I definitely need to continue learning but I am starting to question all the techniques health experts and trainers are pushing on people.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post

>> If it is to burn calories why not simply eat the right amount?

Because I like fine, rich foods, ice cream and the occasional wine binge!

Yep. I burn over 5,000 calories a week. I live in dread of being sidelined by illness or injury because of all the lovely food I couldn't enjoy!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A couple years ago I was doing a lot of cardio via running, jogging, etc. I was doing the whole keep your heart rate up thing. It eliminated fat pretty quickly but I think it also reduced muscles. My wife said my legs were too skinny.

I also did the weight machines quickly which was also basically another cardio exercise as I wasn't really gaining much strength this way.

I recently was referred (in this forum) to the website stronglifts.com It is about getting stronger and healthy using free weights (and eating properly). Balancing the weight uses multiple muscles together making you stronger.

I definitely need to continue learning but I am starting to question all the techniques health experts and trainers are pushing on people.
Loosing weight and muscle from upper body from a lot of running is not unusual as your body is try to optimize for the activity, and upper body strength is not as important for running. Nor are large leg muscles. You can have skinny legs and run fast.

So programs like running for weight loss need to be supplemented with strength training, if your goal is to maintain muscle mass.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm mostly a runner for cardio and when I strap on the HR and use Garmin my average is about 155bpm. It is amazing to see it shoots up for hills (maybe 170 ish pretty quickly).

I don't do "real" heart rate training but some of my bike friends swear by it.

When I'm feeling it my 3M pace is 7:35, 4M 7:40, 5M 7:45-7:50 (the 5M pace is getting hard to maintain I'm finding).
55 yrs old, M. 155 lbs, 6'0" on a good day. Lol.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

It depends on the exercise.

If I'm rowing, it's easy for me to get get close to HR max, and I sometimes do it (breach 170bpm). I'm often rowing 150-165.

If I'm doing aerobics, it will be pretty moderate and partly high aerobic zones 125-160. Same with cycling.

Walking it's mostly low to moderate aerobic zone. 115-125

I like doing a variety of expertise weekly, and a variety of aerobic zones as well.

I'm trying to maintain fitness and weight. I don't feel the need to exercise all out all the time. I just try to get some every day, and more/more intense on some days a week.

56, and I'm just not interest in pushing it hard anymore. All my vitals are great - good cholesterol numbers, quite low blood pressure, healthy weight, good stamina, flexibility, and reasonable fitness as I can walk several miles and row/cycle hard without getting that winded. (Except that it's all at almost sea level). Just trying to maintain.

P.S. If I've exercised hard the day before, I find it hard to get my heart rate up the next day during exercise. I wonder if it's some kind of fatigue. Always kind of wondered about this. Hard ride one day, and the next even when walking hard can't get my HR past 110.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yep. I burn over 5,000 calories a week. I live in dread of being sidelined by illness or injury because of all the lovely food I couldn't enjoy!
Very impressive. I also love to eat and drink. Constant battle to burn more calories than I absorb. Lots of fun though.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

P.S. If I've exercised hard the day before, I find it hard to get my heart rate up the next day during exercise. I wonder if it's some kind of fatigue. Always kind of wondered about this. Hard ride one day, and the next even when walking hard can't get my HR past 110.
Interesting. Some days you have it and others you don't. My best workouts are when my HR gets high fast and stays there. Never goes above 155 but some days I can't get it above low 130's. I especially have problems getting my heart rate up if I did a weight training session before. Makes sense I guess, just too tired. Takes a very long very steep hill when biking to get my heart rate over about 130.

Also, elevation makes a huge difference. In Canmore we are at 5000ft and everywhere else around 1000ft. Much harder in Canmore. Often do personal bests after returning from a few weeks in the mountains.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Interesting. Some days you have it and others you don't. My best workouts are when my HR gets high fast and stays there. Never goes above 155 but some days I can't get it above low 130's. I especially have problems getting my heart rate up if I did a weight training session before. Makes sense I guess, just too tired. Takes a very long very steep hill when biking to get my heart rate over about 130.

Also, elevation makes a huge difference. In Canmore we are at 5000ft and everywhere else around 1000ft. Much harder in Canmore. Often do personal bests after returning from a few weeks in the mountains.
Yeah, I think some type of fatigue is involved.

My aerobics is actually with hand weights - combo weights/aerobics, so it can get intense with large body moves. And sometimes the next day I just can't get my heart rate up.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I can correlate better runs (faster with lower HR) with what I ate: chips w/salt and salsa do wonders for my performance.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote